What did you do in your shop today?

Pretty slick Connor.  How well does it work?

I got the dreaded phone call this morning that I've been "exposed".  Since I had to leave work, and I hadn't been home since the exposure, I went right out to the barn and spent the afternoon cleaning and setting up my bedroom for the next week or two.

20201026_191535.jpg

I always knew that it would pay off to have a heated shop.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with all my spare time.............

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

We made some hearth steel a couple of weekends ago. Ran into some issues at first but Emiliano came to the rescue with sage advice. Here is a knife from the material after heat treatment. 

I made myself a hammer I´ve wanted for a long time: an english style dog head hammer. Forged from 60mm square c45 steel (1045 basically) with a curly walnut handle, just because I wanted to be fa

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

what to do with all my spare time.............

Silver linings

I have but meager offerings for today, but before I get to that, I have something to say.

It's been 6 days since I visited this thread and the posts have been astounding! The amount of talent that resides on this forum is just mind blowing. Too many cool projects and excellent workmanship to cover everything, but the guitar, treasure chest, press work, knives, and more that appeared in the last week just makes me amazed at how many talented folks share their work here. I salute you all.

Now for my meager offering. It wasn't actually in my shop, but I did score some great fresh cut mesquite logs from the neighbor today. There may even be a few knife handles lurking in the heartwood.

Mesquite logs V2.png

• Like 1

I got a wapiti knife done and the handle of the second chinese vegetable knife on and 95% shaped up but had to stop and do a poisoning run round the road and fence edges of our yard and make another batch of communion bread. Love the new  vegetable knife handle with brass and Huon Pine with the two golds really making a lovely combination. Will do the final sanding and finishing tomorrow.

Edited by Garry Keown

BTW-Alex I hope you are clear and don't have to deal with that crap.

Today was a forge day! Hooray! I spent some time doing a variety of hot work and taking short videos to make a montage leader for my youtube stuff. I also spent some time forging a longsax from a 4-bar billet.

Some of the hot work I did was twisting a 1 inch square 4-way composite bar by hand.

1 inch twisted V2.jpg

And I welded a 24-layer billet. Started out 1-1/2" by 2-5/8" by 6 inches long. Finished at 1-1/2 square by 8 inches long.

Big billet V2.jpg

• Like 1

Second chinese vegetable knife done and more pleased with it in every way. Stabilised Huon Pine and brass with the first "D" handleand and quite like the way it feels in hand. Last pic is of the previous one with bronze and ebony and it can be seen how wrong the handle and the grind is so it will be reground and have the handle changed in the next few days.

IMG_20201029_094805.jpg

IMG_20201029_094842.jpg

IMG_20201029_095003.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Josh, I appreciate that.  Test is scheduled for tomorrow morning, they're telling me it's usually a 24 hr. turnaround.  Hopefully I'll know sometime on Friday what lies in wait.

I have to agree with you @Garry Keown, I like the new handle better.  I can't see anything wrong with the first one, but the new one just looks "right", if you know what I mean.

BTW, @Joshua States, what do you use for a twisting rig?  That's a pretty darn consistent spiral, especially in something as heavy as 1" sq.

• Thanks 1

Forged this camp fire tripod last night. 

1351F644-A009-4D86-94B9-85BCD629E267.jpeg

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

what do you use for a twisting rig?

Thank you, I love it when people give me an opening to be a wise acre.......

I put one end of the bar in my post vice, put on my man-hands, grab this tool and go for it!

Twisting wrench V2.jpg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

BTW-Alex I hope you are clear and don't have to deal with that crap.

Today was a forge day! Hooray! I spent some time doing a variety of hot work and taking short videos to make a montage leader for my youtube stuff. I also spent some time forging a longsax from a 4-bar billet.

Some of the hot work I did was twisting a 1 inch square 4-way composite bar by hand.

1 inch twisted V2.jpg

Second on the testing Alex. Hope you test negative.

I have the same process for twisting. Post vice, modified pipe wrench, and big boy hands.

Your twist are a lot nicer that the twists I got when I was making my rock hammers. My bars were 1.25 inches in diameter and 10 inches long and it took like 8 heats to get three full twists, but the final product was very uneven. I guess I just have to make some more to get more practice.

• Thanks 1

Funny thing, in my forced shop time so far this week I found a pipe wrench that it didn't know I had.  I think karma is telling me that I need to do some more twist Damascus.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for a negative test, Alex.

Not my shop, but I did spend the last three days in two other people's shops making some money for some steel!

Cough, cough:

20201026_110558.jpg20201026_110605.jpg20201027_155854.jpg

remove the saggy, multiple 1 inch fiber blanket.

20201028_114516.jpg20201028_114531.jpg20201028_114525.jpg

add the new 2 inch blanket with non-corroding ceramic buttons.

20201027_170143.jpg20201028_132104.jpg20201028_132022.jpg

gotta have a good, sharp stake-knife to cut kaowool, and potters love their peep holes. Rolled up flashing can cut a pretty clean hole. File that away for when you build your fiber forge.

Now I really need to fire up the forge tomorrow!

Did I mention that I brought my welder and my electrical tools along on this trip?

20201026_110551.jpg20201028_172215.jpg

20201027_154551.jpg

My smithy has been pretty dead - however my wood working shop has been rolling.  I had to put down my next smithy project and am in a limbo. 

As I've been working a little more with rough cut lumbers, I've been finding how much I like the old hand tools.  Then unfortunately, I decided I had to fix these! 20201025_141135.jpg

These were hanging in my garage untouched for about 40years if not more.  The two man saw had something interesting fall out of it when I started to take it apart.

20201025_142212.jpg

Wedged into one of the handles (which looks like a repair) was this little bugger. What looks like a hand made square nail. Or maybe just a wedge of steel that someone once upon a very long time ago hammered on.  No hallmarks to tell how old the 2 man saw is its just been in my garage forever - probably since the house was built.

Today I filed down the rakers, refiled them to shape, and did one half of the cutting teeth . . . :wacko: I'll never complain about draw filing a knife again!

Hope your doing well Alex!

Edited by Daniel W
  • Like 2

Test results just came back as negative.  It definitely makes me feel better.  The health department still wants me to quarantine for the rest of the 2 weeks though.  We'll see what the boss says about that.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Bruno said:

Great news Alex!  2 more weeks of forging !

Agreed.  You can't be too safe!

Have this big Cimeter ready to do the pre grind on and a few more profiled that I will get preped while the cimeter is in the tempering oven but need to finish this one to complete a trio with the chinese vegetable knife and the slicer I did last week.

IMG_20201101_170320.jpg

IMG_20201101_170334.jpg

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, Taylor Hendrix said:

non-corroding ceramic buttons

Where did you get those?

Today I spent some time doing a little how work for Liz. She's making another butterfly sculpture and uses 1" round for the body. Her forge just doesn't get quite hot enough to forge that out easily, so I popped it in the welding forge and roughed it out. Then I spent some time grinding a little on a scramasax, and learned that I gotta pay more attention while forging!

So I took the bulk of my day and focused on forging out a longsax project.

I'm having trouble uploading photos while YT eats up my bandwidth, :wacko:

What did I do in my shop.....again not a lot.....:( 
Productivity for the whole weekend was one piece of rolled micarta

I do have an excuse, I had a visitor the best part of Saturday, a fellow knife maker from one of our coastal towns.

We were supposed to have a table together at a local show, decided against that specific show but he came for a visit anyway.

I'm humbled and shamed by his productivity, especially considering he's 20 years my senior.

How do you describe the work of a maker if the fit & finish is perfect, the knife/cleaver sits perfectly in your hand, but for example the brass bolsters are not symmetrical?

16 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Where did you get those?

The parts were supplied by Olympic,  the manufacturer of the high fire kiln.  These are common but require high temp studs which are notched to allow the buttons to be pushed in,  then turned a 1/4 turn to hold. Kiln fires to 2350° F. Kaowool probably has some as well.  I have been known to make my own and string with high temp wire for low fire kilns.

What is the operating temp of forges?

38 minutes ago, Taylor Hendrix said:

What is the operating temp of forges?

A well-designed one will easily hit 2500 F, crappy ones top out at around 1950 F.  Normal forging range for blade steels is between 1750-2000 F, welding is 2100-2200 F.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon cutting out folder parts from  a sheet of AEB-L.  First time working with it, and so far I love it.  Machines like annealed 1018, far easier to work with than O1, MUCH nicer than CPM-154, the only other stainless I've played with.  

55 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Yesterday I spent the afternoon cutting out folder parts from  a sheet of AEB-L.  

I'd like to hear what your overall experience is with this once you have finished up a knife.  I bought some for the same reason, but haven't started messing with it yet.  I didn't enjoy the S35V I tried, so I figured I'd give AEB-L a shot.

10 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

if the fit & finish is perfect,

contradicts

10 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

the brass bolsters are not symmetrical

These two statements are mutually exclusive when describing a single object.