What did you do in your shop today?

I had a little time in between coats of drywall mud today.....

So I made a top platen for the KMG.

Top Platen (1).JPG

Pretty simple design I saw on a Kyle Royer video. I made a couple of changes to his, but stayed close to it.

Top Platen (2).JPG

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

No knife work since right after Christmas, I've been in furniture mode.  The backstory:  I won a couple of steel scuba tanks with the bottom cut off at an iron-in-the-hat at my local blacksmith's guil

Been working on a blade for the past few days. It's a 9 1/4" 9 bar serpent core dagger - silver steel edges with a serpent of alternating 15n20 and 11 layer twist set in mild steel:  

Posted Images

Tonight I finally got around to forging a seax, it’s a smaller version of one I saw on Owen Bush’s website. 

I’m hoping it turns out to look like a real seax. 

3467CAE0-AD36-4694-86D6-0EEA460528B6.jpeg

• Like 1

Today is my second attempt to start my working year, last Monday was so quiet I phoned the boss and asked if I can take another week leave.....

........and spent a week feeding my new folder making obsession.
Broke one backspring, finished my second ever folder.......and I'm giving myself a week off knife-making so my hands can heal up.

I built up a stash of charcoal. I might go and get more for a smelting run

Resized_20210113_131102.jpeg

not really 'shop', but I got to 2500 followers on instagram today! - Not that I seek positive affirmation (errrrrm) but Ive been on 2495 followers for months :huh:

Probably should make a bit of time to make some more knives now! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been busy packaging up knives for shipping. I wrap them in a square of cloth and was down to the last one so started in on a new 50meter roll and cut it into 125 squares of 400x400 and a few more of 500x500 for the larger knives, which should keep me going for most of the year. Started the new book for 2021 with first few orders in and having a look see that knife number 600 will be on the bench next week. Seem to have been running at 140-150 a year since going full time about 4 years back.

I'm very new, having only really started at Christmas. Wonder what my present was? :)

Today, I turned two scraps of my most recent failed project, a dagger made from an old broken file I "inherited" from my grandfather (along with a fair amount of other junk). I um... kinda dropped it right after heat treating.

BrokenDagger.jpg

I took the two biggest pieces and welded them back together, and turned that into a straight razor. 

Razor.jpg

Now I'm waiting for the glue to set on the handle so I can finish it tomorrow.

Yesterday prepped, Tig welded and drew out a couple Go Mai billets. Today forged in bevels on two cut out Chefs from yesterday and forged out a 19 inch Wrought mai. I've missed hitting hot steel, since I've been working on my press so much which is probably a couple hours from being done. I had to do one knife for an order so why not do a little extra. 

20210116_121519.jpg

20210116_135725.jpg

20210117_123955.jpg

Had a friend out working in the shop today.  I was helping him the grinder and stepped back a little too far............

20210117_161220.jpg

right into the 5" fillet knife I had just glued up, that was still clamped into the bench vise. 

On a good note, I had been a little bit worried about how much stress the little stick tang would take.  Now I know, and I would much rather have it break in the shop than in someone's hands.

I was also able to get a good look at the grain and was quite happy with it, even though the pic sucks.

20210117_161452.jpg

Edited by Alex Middleton

I made a sarcastic remark about lazy people doing a flint knap finish on cleavers, which gave me an idea, and I did just that.
I've been struggling with a cleaver out of Vanadis10 after my mentor gifted me a sheet of the stuff....consensus on the forum was its not really a gift...
The stuff is horrible to grind, and impossible to finish nicely, so yes it git the flap disk flint knap finish.....with the bevel still looking rather shitty, and a nice Teak handle.
Another problem, I heat treated according to spec, but I didn't do the temper correctly, don't have the right equipment.
Did some testing which included chopping dry avocado wood, mashing a beer can and eventually cutting it in half.....not a mark on that edge
I've made arrangements for somebody to semi-professionally test it at a butchery, if it can handle bone with that temper the steel might be worth another attempt.  

:P I SAWED THIS BOAT IN HALF.. nah :b don't have the power to that anymore, but i did manage to get my shop nice and shiny after a couple of cleaning sessions xD NEVER let dust,grime and debri accumulate in your shop, because it ends up being time capsules xD  we had old papers from 1999 or 1998 etc. floating around -> no more of that, so now i got a tidy work space ^^

Ran my second hearth furnace. Used the ultimate in scrap metal (just to see if it really could work). Got mixed results. Top of the puck is probably in the 1% range. Bottom is dead wrought iron.

I forged out a little scrap piece of Damascus in a 1-cubic inch blade smith challenge.

Starting Stock: 1/4' by 1" by 4"1 Starting stock.jpg

Hardened

7 hardened.jpg

• Like 4

My first ever batch of beer is ready!  (Ok, I've been sneaking samples for the last 2 weeks...)

It's actually not half bad.  Now I just need to learn what flavors all those different grains are actually responsible for  

:blink:

IMG_20210121_202158139.jpg

• Like 3

Finally got my AmeriBrade surface grinder set up and ran it on a maiden voyage - flattening a Damascus chef knife I'm working on for a chef friend. How did I ever work without this thing?!?!?

45 minutes TOTAL time - set up, learning how all the bells and whistles work, and flattening. OMG!

I posted this else where, but there HAS to be a proverb somewhere that goes:

Blessed is the man who has an understanding wife who lets him buy tools, for he shall make interesting and beautiful things - QUICKLY!

IMG_2303.jpg

Edited by Bill Schmalhofer
Proverb
  • Like 3

I spent the last two days taking Kevin Cashens' basic classes on blade making and handling.  What an amazing couple of days.  Just learning the finer points of heat treating 1084 was worth it, not to mention the tips and tricks picked up throughout the rest of the build.  It's very humbling to spend time with someone that has that depth of experience.  Makes me realize just how much I still have to learn.

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 5

Kevin is indeed a storehouse of information, and not just about knives.  I'm glad you took that class, it'll show up in your work. B)

• Thanks 1

We got a new puppy. He is ¼ Newfoundland ¼ great pyrenees ¼ husky ¼ Australian something? His name is Dozer.

Resized_20210123_152427.jpeg

Resized_20210123_152751(1).jpeg

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

He is ¼ Newfoundland ¼ great pyrenees ¼ husky ¼ Australian something

and 100% trouble.

• Haha 1