What did you do in your shop today?

Some handsanding to get ready for bolsters and handles and the handle on a FS made for a good day in the shedIMG_20210124_163150.jpgIMG_20210124_095148.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

No knife work since right after Christmas, I've been in furniture mode.  The backstory:  I won a couple of steel scuba tanks with the bottom cut off at an iron-in-the-hat at my local blacksmith's guil

Been working on a blade for the past few days. It's a 9 1/4" 9 bar serpent core dagger - silver steel edges with a serpent of alternating 15n20 and 11 layer twist set in mild steel:  

Posted Images

Very unproductive weekend due to the afterwork drinks with colleagues on Friday.....
Started with handles on two cleavers which involved boiling fat out of 4 Giraffe bone scales.  Fat kept coming off even after the 8th water change, everything seemed to be going well, boiled them twice more yesterday and decided that was enough.  
Left them to dry and when I checked again all of them had cracked pretty badly......

Due to some recent experiences  I've also made up my mind, I have 3 kitchen knives, one hunting knife and four cleavers that need handles, then I'm done with fixed blades for the foreseeable future.

The last person that bought a knife from me that took my whole December holiday to finish, walk away very happy and told me to raise my prices.  He's the exception on that front, and I have to say I'm very much over dealing with people.

As soon as those 8 are done, I'm done making anything except exactly what I want to....

Ah HA! 

Finally repaired my Harvey-drowned electric kiln.

Working kiln means clay sales.

Clay sales means money.

Money means more blacksmithing stuff!

Going to a hammer making workshop this Friday. 

Tooling up.

T

I still haven't relaxed, had somebody on my case wanting a cleaver, a cutting board, BBQ tongs & fork, day after quoting him on the cleaver he asked if I could make a "steak knife" for less than half of what I quoted on the cleaver.
I agreed on condition it gets a simple wood or micarta handle, for the sake of our mutual friend.
As soon as the design was approved he started on me about the handle, wants bone.....

I want to make folders, not another fixed blade and for sure not for somebody I don't like........while I could make more money cleaning toilets with that time :angry:

8 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I still haven't relaxed, had somebody on my case wanting a cleaver, a cutting board, BBQ tongs & fork, day after quoting him on the cleaver he asked if I could make a "steak knife" for less than half of what I quoted on the cleaver.
I agreed on condition it gets a simple wood or micarta handle, for the sake of our mutual friend.
As soon as the design was approved he started on me about the handle, wants bone.....

I want to make folders, not another fixed blade and for sure not for somebody I don't like........while I could make more money cleaning toilets with that time :angry:

There is such thing as bad customers, you know?  The part I learned hardest during the time when I turned my hobby into a buissness was to spot these and avoid at all costs.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Alan and Jaro.  I understand the desire to please a mutual friend.  However, from what I gather about your personality here, and what you have told us about this new "Customer", I think your mutual friend will understand if you cut this one loose.

• Like 1

4th'd. I don't sell blades yet, but I have had my fair share of making things for people / buying things from maker friends and hearing horror stories. Explain to your mutual friend that you're glad they sent someone your way, but that this particular friend of theirs didn't value the time you put into your work, plain and simple. Good friends pay full price (unless you are kind and they have financial burdens, but that's it's own discussion). Hell, I have an artist friend who I think undervalues her own work, so the two pieces I commissioned from her, I paid her more than what she asked.

Today was a woodworking day. Took some big ash boards and made them smaller.

V2 Setup.jpg

I may just be able to keep one of the 6/4 boards for ax handles

V2 Left ove 6-qtr.jpg

Well, the crowd has spoken, weekend is over and I didn't start the knife, so no chance it will be finished on time....or ever at that price.
I did have a BIG win, I have an order for a knife for a very special person, and there's been a bit of back & forth about the handle......
I went shopping Saturday, and the whitest material they has was artist's canvas, got some black denim to go with it, and made a stonking slab of black & white micarta, and the person placing the order immediately agreed when I sent him photos.
I plan on trying something new with the bolster, need to make this as special as the person receiving it. B)

I do my work out of a shared workshop so we have a wonderful mix of newbies, amatuers, and experts. So over this last weekend I created something to help the new and less experienced people at the space practice their welding skills and take home something more interesting than a plate with attempts to weld straight beads.P_20210129_160503 (2).jpgP_20210129_121552 (2).jpgP_20210127_173237.jpg

Im hopeful one of these days I'll stop doing facility projects and actually work on my own stuff but my to-do list on both sides keeps getting longer not shorter.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Today was a woodworking day. Took some big ash boards and made them smaller.

V2 Setup.jpg

OK, we REALLY need a green with envy emoji. Joshua, if that is your workshop... I am SO jealous!

Nice boards too.

11 hours ago, Sean Blum said:

I do my work out of a shared workshop so we have a wonderful mix of newbies, amatuers, and experts. So over this last weekend I created something to help the new and less experienced people at the space practice their welding skills and take home something more interesting than a plate with attempts to weld straight beads.P_20210129_160503 (2).jpgP_20210129_121552 (2).jpgP_20210127_173237.jpg

Im hopeful one of these days I'll stop doing facility projects and actually work on my own stuff but my to-do list on both sides keeps getting longer not shorter.

Going to be a bit nit-picky. Other than the 6, it doesn't look like you have the dice sides lined up correctly :D - swap the 2 and 4!

Love the project though.

3 hours ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

Going to be a bit nit-picky. Other than the 6, it doesn't look like you have the dice sides lined up correctly :D - swap the 2 and 4!

Love the project though.

You're right I must have been looking at some funky dice when I put it together.

9 hours ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

Love the project though.

Dice is pleural :D

Tool-up or die....
Went for an eye test because I noticed a slight degradation fiddling with folders during December holiday.
Still too good to get glasses, but I did get an optivisor-type thing and the medical aid paid for it

• Like 1

Those optivisors are a life-changer when doing filework.  My overall vision is still better than 20/20, but my ability to focus close up has been fading over the last several years.  The quality of my filework improved greatly once I started using an opti-visor.

They can also change your life if you wear one when hand sanding a balde, but I am not sure that change is entirely positive :D

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

They can also change your life if you wear one when hand sanding a balde,

And the site masochism award goes to..............

:D

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Tool-up or die....
Went for an eye test because I noticed a slight degradation fiddling with folders during December holiday.
Still too good to get glasses, but I did get an optivisor-type thing and the medical aid paid for it

Good for you regular eye checkups if you notice anything is important one of the guys I work with went to get a prescription adjustment and the doctor found a rusty piece of metal in his eye. Lucky him no damage but now he has a rust colored eye tattoo.

20 hours ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

OK, we REALLY need a green with envy emoji. Joshua, if that is your workshop... I am SO jealous!

You will notice that I had to move several pieces of equipment outside onto the garage/driveway apron. Getting the table saw and slide miter saw out of the standard locations meant moving a bunch of stuff into the forge area. Getting the joiner and the planer out of the storage container also took some serious effort. I'm in that situation where set up and clean up take more time than the actual work!

6 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Er, uh, plural :P

Touché :lol:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Joshua States said:

You will notice that I had to move several pieces of equipment outside onto the garage/driveway apron. Getting the table saw and slide miter saw out of the standard locations meant moving a bunch of stuff into the forge area. Getting the joiner and the planer out of the storage container also took some serious effort. I'm in that situation where set up and clean up take more time than the actual work!

Yeah but my forge area is my back yard. If I want to do forge work, I have to move everything out (including the anvil and press - luckily it's on wheels), and then move it back in when I'm done. And forget about it now. It's 29F outside!

Still jealous!!:D

15 hours ago, Charles dP said:

Dice is pleural :D

9 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Er, uh, plural :P

2 hours ago, Charles dP said:

Touché :lol:

Ah, but WAS it die or dice? How many of the kits / projects did he make up incorrectly? Was it just this one or were they all incorrect?:lol:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

And the site masochism award goes to..............

:D

I'm guilty of this too. Those optivisors are great!

20/20 far vision but can't focus on anything closer than 2 feet. Amazing what you see at 6x magnification :blink:. Of course I've looked at my work under my wife's stereo dissecting microscope at 20X. 1000 grit scratch marks look like the freaking Grand Canyon :lol:.