What did you do in your shop today?

It's the First time for ages I've managed to get into my workshop, New job ,cold weather,my wife And I caught covid,but this evening I started to make a folder ( my First folder) marked out the blade, liner's And spring,drilled the hole's And cut the part's out only to discover I picked up the wrong pieces of steel for the spring, I've cut it out of mild steel,:unsure:,I must get out of the habit of hording all those "useful" offcuts.

Tomorrow I'll re cut it out of sping steel:blink:

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Yesterday, and not my shop.

No knife work since right after Christmas, I've been in furniture mode.  The backstory:  I won a couple of steel scuba tanks with the bottom cut off at an iron-in-the-hat at my local blacksmith's guil

Posted Images

I'm just waiting for when I try to heat treat a spring and forget which steel I used.  My folders are either O-1 or AEB-L, and I am positive I'm gonna do that one of these days... :wacko: Let's see, soak at 1950 F, or is it 1575? and temper at 450 F, or is it 1145? Not gonna be pretty, that's for sure.  :lol:

15 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

I'm just waiting for when I try to heat treat a spring and forget which steel I used.  My folders are either O-1 or AEB-L, and I am positive I'm gonna do that one of these days... :wacko: Let's see, soak at 1950 F, or is it 1575? and temper at 450 F, or is it 1145? Not gonna be pretty, that's for sure.  :lol:

FWIW, I think AEB-L tastes different than 1075.  Not sure about O1.  Also not sure I could tell the difference blind...

• Haha 1

Well... that was fun.

Just came in from shutting down the forge for the day.

I think it was a good call.

Have the new refractory to re-line her anyways.

But, I cut, stacked, forge welded and cut my first "feather" pattern attempt.

Remains to be seen how it holds up.

20210406_160825.jpg

20210406_160820.jpg

20210406_160832.jpg

• Like 3

With all the handsanding done on this lot, it was time to look at handles  on those that are not going into the ready drawer.

IMG_20210407_145151.jpg

From the left is some antler but there will be brass guard ad pommel on that one then a nice piece of walnut wover spalted buckeye bolsters  koa over buff and gold tassie blackwood over buff. box Elder on the 7 in chef and stunning piece of Honduran rosewood on the 5 in chef. english oak on the general pupose and burma camphor burl on the pair of steak knives. 

IMG_20210407_171103.jpg

• Like 2

Some beautiful wood on the way. Spent some time (and lots of $) this morning selecting some lovely handle blocks. This is part of the selection with gold and dark Koa, box elder, spalted maple, and hickory burl among them. As always the pic does not really show the spectaculer colours and contrasts that is reveasled when it is in hand but Jason does short videos of the blocks I select, turning them in all directiosn so I can get a full picture of what is offered.

170956917_1083188465516104_3699700486893837728_n.png

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Garry Keown said:

Some beautiful wood on the way. Spent some time (and lots of $) this morning selecting some lovely handle blocks. This is part of the selection with gold and dark Koa, box elder, spalted maple, and hickory burl among them. As always the pic does not really show the spectaculer colours and contrasts that is reveasled when it is in hand but Jason does short videos of the blocks I select, turning them in all directiosn so I can get a full picture of what is offered.

The way you crank out the work that ought to be enough to last you about a week or five days.

• Haha 2
59 minutes ago, Jaro Petrina said:

I have finalised pedal on the power hammer and found out I can close matchbox with it :D

Report back once you've learned how to strike a match with it :lol:

• Haha 1

Curtain hook to practice Welding mild steel/finally making something functional for the house like my wife has been asking for for years..>_>
If you look at the leaf closely you can see where I nearly melted it off,lol

82E82B48-CB54-422A-8C29-EB5A75AB2F4E.jpeg

845058FF-FF76-4595-844A-B52DF3FEBEC7.jpeg

A descent result for the day. Took them out of the clamps this morning and they are in the andle rack waiting for leather this afternoon

IMG_20210409_094701 (1).jpg

IMG_20210409_162618.jpg

• Like 4

Made some progress on @Dr Rays harpoon fighter today with all the work done pre heat treat now. I made a cutter to clean up the fuller from a piece of heavy spring steel and bent an old file to do the sanding. 

IMG_20210414_153418.jpg

IMG_20210414_155219.jpg

IMG_20210414_164558.jpg

• Like 5

This weekend, I forgot that brass gets hot when you sand it and burned my fingers on a guard :P

Besides that bit of brilliance, I worked on the machete made from 6150:  I finished forging it out and ground it to shape, and got it sanded down to 120. Ran out of time to go any further, so more sanding and heat-treating ... some other weekend.

Machete.jpg

I also made an attempt at my own micarta sort of thing with epoxy and some fabric

block.jpg

Edited by Ted Stocksdale

Did the final bit of hot work (brazing the 'S' bars and rams horns) to the basket I've been working on on and off for months...

basket 36.jpg

now for a daunting amount of grinding and filing and sculpting to get it into final shape before making the blade to go with it...

• Like 5

A few pre ground, hardened and in the tempering oven for the first of the cycles. Small AH EDC's a H/S and then the PH EDC's and one "in the salt".IMG_20210419_151740.jpgIMG_20210419_154851.jpgIMG_20210419_154947.jpg

On 4/18/2021 at 10:09 PM, jake cleland said:

now for a daunting amount of grinding and filing and sculpting to get it into final shape before making the blade to go with it...

Wow Jake! :o  That's going to be impressive.

Do you know what it is going to be when it grows up, or is the overall design still a work in progress?

Edited by Brian Dougherty

A brief break from the forge...

This is the result of a three or four year project.

My Dad bought a 1973 Kawasaki 100 G4 Trail Boss in 1973. He ran it in enduro and motocross races for a few years and then gave it to me when I was about 12. I rode it to high school until I got my car license in '82. At that point it pretty much fell into abandonment, but we always hung on to it and just rolled its flat tires from one shed to another until my son showed some interest in it a few years ago. He took off like a shot on the restoration but soon got bored and back in the shed it went. We finally got re-inspired and got it back on the road. Still needs some fine tuning, but it's in fine shape now.

My Dad turned 85 this year. He saw us when we had that bike torn down and swore that he'd never see it run again. Well, we surprised him with it and he was thrilled to get to ride it again. Not bad for 85:

kw1.jpg

Me and my biker chick:

kw2.jpg

Me and that bike both still have scars that we gave each other!

• Like 7

After 7 years of making knives I figured it was finally time to make myself a knife vice.

I made two, one for the workshop at my parents house, and one for the studio in my own place.

It really wasn't much more work to make two anyway.

I just wish my welds were better, but my prehistoric stick welder just doesn't play well with thinner stuff. (Or maybe I am just a worthless welder:lol:)IMG_20210421_154453.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

prehistoric stick welder

As a fellow owner of one of these beasts, I say well done! :lol:  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

As a fellow owner of one of these beasts, I say well done! :lol:  

Yes my dates from the late 40's from what I was told so I know how challenging it can be. 

On 4/20/2021 at 6:14 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

Wow Jake! :o  That's going to be impressive.

Do you know what it is going to be when it grows up, or is the overall design still a work in progress?

It's going to get mounted on a 34" double fullered double edged broadsword blade, based on a blade in the Cameronian's Museum, owned by one of my ancestors. I have the blade profiled, but haven't started on the fullers, or built the forge to harden it yet.

basket 35.jpg

Edited by jake cleland
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, jake cleland said:

It's going to get mounted on a 34" double fullered double edged broadsword blade, based on a blade in the Cameronian's Museum, owned by one of my ancestors.

Wow, that will be exciting to see!  Sounds like a great project to take on.

2 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Wow, that will be exciting to see!  Sounds like a great project to take on.

Seconded!  I haven't had the guts to try a basket hilt yet, much less a traditionally brazed one.  Seems everyone uses a TIG welder these days.