Jump to content

What did you do in your shop today?


Recommended Posts

A little project I've been working on over the last couple months. Well I bought the lower receiver back in September of 2019 but just made a push to get it finished. If anyone is interested in the breakdown of the parts and what they all cost I can figure it all out and post it. I took 8 shots at this plate at 420 yards and was on target after three shots and hit 5 times. It is chambered in the 6.5 grendel.20210405_105540.jpg20210405_114629.jpg

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

A few weeks ago a kid (I say kid, college senior doing an honors thesis, probably 21 or so ) came to my local guild meeting to ask if anyone could help him with a sword. His honors thesis involves han

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

A little project I've been working on over the last couple months. Well I bought the lower receiver back in September of 2019 but just made a push to get it finished. If anyone is interested in the breakdown of the parts and what they all cost I can figure it all out and post it. I took 8 shots at this plate at 420 yards and was on target after three shots and hit 5 times. It is chambered in the 6.5 grendel.

 

One of the better new cartridges to come down the road Jeremy. 

I built mine a few years back but gave it a bit more zing  by pushing the shoudler forward by .05 and lengthening the oal to 2.405 to give me a respectable gain so I can run the 123gn SST at 2700fps and got a .688  200 yds group  in testing.

I cut and lengthened  the magazine of a mini mauser to give me the 2.475 and a few other little mods to make this my favourte rifle that ha bought a lot of animals to grass. It was so effective that a friend who is a professional pest animal shooter has bought the reamer and built 3 for himself.

 

This is the standard grendel with my Grendel-Max

6.5 Grendel and Grendel-Max.png

 

Best group at 200 yds.png

Photo2346.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A little project I have had on the back burner for a while and got a few minutes today between tidying up a couple of other knives. Only got the handle shortened and the rough grind done and had a think about how I will do the handle but think it will come together quite nicely.IMG_20210425_090229.jpgIMG_20210425_112404.jpgIMG_20210425_120218.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

A little project I've been working on over the last couple months.

That looks Awesome Jeremy!!  I just finished my very first build, also a Grendel! :)  I'm hoping to take her out for the maiden run in the next few weeks.

P.S. Do you mind if I ask what kind of comp/break you have on it, and how you like it..?

Edited by Jaron Martindale
Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW Gary that gun is amazing. Have you ever seen Mark and Sam after work on YouTube? There an Aussie couple and he shoots ELR. Its incredible what you can accomplish with a good machine shop and even better reloading shop.

3 hours ago, Jaron Martindale said:

P.S. Do you mind if I ask what kind of comp/break you have on it, and how you like 

Here is the brake I bought and I really like it. 

This is the original brake I had on it and there is a substantial difference in recoil.20210425_140842.jpg

This is the next muzzle brake I'm going to try out. 

https://www.grendelhunter.com/product/grendel-hunter-slanted-muzzle-brake-black/

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

WOW Gary that gun is amazing. Have you ever seen Mark and Sam after work on YouTube? There an Aussie couple and he shoots ELR. Its incredible what you can accomplish with a good machine shop and even better reloading shop.

 

No, I havent seen them. I did get a G/S to chamber and install the barrel but the rest of the work was in my shed , making a new bolt knob and the tempory mag extension to make sure it would all work.

007 (5).jpg009 (2).jpg

 

The stock is laminated from beach strips but I do it different to the commercial ones in that I make the central core from a 1/2 inch strip and plane down through the forestock and wrist to the butt so that all the outer laminates run parallel to the outer shape so there is no cutting through the laminates at final shaping. The other good thing is that the majority of the action can be cut out leaving just enough top and bottom to hold it together so that the major inlet is a very simple process.

004 (3).jpg

 

004 (2).jpg002 (3).jpg007 (4).jpg

 

 

006.jpg

 

 

Initially I ran a suppressor on it but I carry muzzle down in thre hills and it was often catching on scrub etc so I removed it and ran a simple muzzle weight for a while and now run it naked and havent found any loss of animal numbers without the suppressor and it is a delight to carry at 6 1/2 lb ready to go after I changed the 4.5 - 14 Nikon for a much lighter Leupold VX 3i 2.5 - 8 x 32.

009.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I decided to turn some steel on a cheap mini lathe.

 

T9xMnRT.jpg

 

I was actually impressed at how well it was doing. Then I took too deep a cut, and broke the lathe. I'm looking at a complete disassembly to replace the transmission gear.

 

So to cheer myself up, I thought I would go back to working on my katana fittings. I formed a sheet of shibuichi into (the start of) a fuchi, and promptly failed to solder it together. After much cleanup and re-form, I tried and failed again. At that point, the piece was pretty gnarly so I took the leftover sheet I had, and formed a new fuchi, which I tried to solder, and failed. 

 

I cleaned up that piece and decided to call it a day. Today was not awesome.

 

Then again I suppose that was better than yesterday: woke up to the start of the side effects of my first covid shot, which later culminated in 3 separate eruptions of full-body hives, every 6h like clockwork. Other than quite frustrated, I feel just fine today, so... improvement I guess.

 

Hope you all had a great weekend! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my shop, but another, much better shop.....

Took a drive to one of our coastal towns, Walvis Bay, to finally visit a fellow knifemaker.

I have huge respect for the man, built his own tyre hammer, forge press, anvil(!), blown forge with ribbon burner.....and belt grinder just before his retirement 2 years ago, now making knives trying to keep the pot cooking

Not like I had any doubt, but it is pretty amazing what a power hammer and press allows you to do.

I think the word is "gumption", I was humbled and amazed by the gumption of somebody 20 years my senior with rather difficult health and financial situation. 

 

Rather expensive trip for many reasons including a sizable contribution to his LPG&electricity fund, to which he retaliated by giving me a raindrop damascus billet right as we departed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

little puukko kinda thing for today 

B36056F4-BC11-4B55-ACCB-322C90504373.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 11:47 PM, Garry Keown said:

... a bit more zing  by pushing the shoudler forward by .05 and lengthening the oal to 2.405 to give me a respectable gain so I can run the 123gn SST at 2700fps and got a .688  200 yds group  in testing.

I've shot a lot of wildcat cartridges in IHMSA over the years Garry, but you're the first person I have "Known" who actually developed one.  Looks like you did good!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2021 at 2:47 PM, Garry Keown said:

No, I havent seen them. I did get a G/S to chamber and install the barrel but the rest of the work was in my shed , making a new bolt knob and the tempory mag extension to make sure it would all work.

007 (5).jpg009 (2).jpg

 

The stock is laminated from beach strips but I do it different to the commercial ones in that I make the central core from a 1/2 inch strip and plane down through the forestock and wrist to the butt so that all the outer laminates run parallel to the outer shape so there is no cutting through the laminates at final shaping. The other good thing is that the majority of the action can be cut out leaving just enough top and bottom to hold it together so that the major inlet is a very simple process.

004 (3).jpg

 

004 (2).jpg002 (3).jpg007 (4).jpg

 

 

006.jpg

 

 

Initially I ran a suppressor on it but I carry muzzle down in thre hills and it was often catching on scrub etc so I removed it and ran a simple muzzle weight for a while and now run it naked and havent found any loss of animal numbers without the suppressor and it is a delight to carry at 6 1/2 lb ready to go after I changed the 4.5 - 14 Nikon for a much lighter Leupold VX 3i 2.5 - 8 x 32.

009.jpg

I gotta ask....what did ya give a dirt nap to here. I cant think of anything near hear that would be that size and that color.

I picked up a barrel burner 26 nostler in a browning x-bolt that isnt even sighted in yet.

I havent tried real hard yet because it only has 40 rounds down the barrel. Sure my velocities are still changing with the copper build up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kreg Whitehead said:

I gotta ask....what did ya give a dirt nap to here. I cant think of anything near hear that would be that size and that color.

I picked up a barrel burner 26 nostler in a browning x-bolt that isnt even sighted in yet.

I havent tried real hard yet because it only has 40 rounds down the barrel. Sure my velocities are still changing with the copper build up.

Those are goats Kreg and my main quarry in the high country. Make great eating. Deer rabbit and hare make up the rest of my huntable with 6.5x57 for deer and 20VarYarg for the little ones. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Kreg Whitehead said:

I gotta ask....what did ya give a dirt nap to here. I cant think of anything near hear that would be that size and that color.

I picked up a barrel burner 26 nostler in a browning x-bolt that isnt even sighted in yet.

I havent tried real hard yet because it only has 40 rounds down the barrel. Sure my velocities are still changing with the copper build up.

Giat country Kreg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2021 at 4:47 PM, Garry Keown said:

it is a delight to carry at 6 1/2 lb

That would be nice to carry. Some people would call my Grendel an "assault weapon" but at 13.2 lbs you would have to be Shaquille o'neal to use it in a tactical manner. I built mine as a bench gun. It has a full 1 inch diameter bull barrel up to the gas block and then its ¾ of an inch to the muzzle brake. When it comes to hunting deer sized game I really enjoy using my savage model 340 30/30 bolt action with open sights. It is dated to around 1958-1959. 20210429_120917.jpg

 

This one is my wife's AR I bought her for her birthday one year. It is a Great Lakes Firearms chambered in .223 wylde. Made in Sparta Michigan. 20210425_152515.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

That would be nice to carry. Some people would call my Grendel an "assault weapon" but at 13.2 lbs you would have to be Shaquille o'neal to use it in a tactical manner. I built mine as a bench gun. It has a full 1 inch diameter bull barrel up to the gas block and then its ¾ of an inch to the muzzle brake. When it comes to hunting deer sized game I really enjoy using my savage model 340 30/30 bolt action with open sights. It is dated to around 1958-1959. 

 

This one is my wife's AR I bought her for her birthday one year. It is a Great Lakes Firearms chambered in .223 wylde. Made in Sparta Michigan. 

Long time since I saw a Savage 340. I had one in 22 Hornet for a few years and that is an under rated little cartridge. I had a mod 70 22-250 at the same time and always wanted something with the capabilities of the 22-250 but the manners of the Hornet and when the 20 cal made a splash I did some research and built my incredibly accurate 20 VarTarg on a XR 100 Rem BR action. 34gr Berger bullet at 3700fps or for those under 150yds the 35gn Nosler at 2700 with both to the same sight setting except one has 200yd zero and the other has 100yd zero.  

Best accuracy ever but a genuine under .3 moa rifle if I do my bit.

002.jpg

 

I really loved building my custom rifles and did that exclusively (almost) for a number of years with 404 Jeffery, couple of 7x57 Mausers, 6.5x57 Mauser, Martini's in 577-450, 303, Hornet and 22 Garron. Lots of Magazine Lee Enfields in 303, 375-303 and 270 plus another of my own in the 400 Lee Speed which is the 405 Win shortened by .2 loaded with 320gn cast bullet and modified straight stack 6 shot mag. Loved making the Lee Speed stocks but probably the most complicated rifle was my 6.5x57 where I built it with a blind mag, altered BM and shadowline cheekpiece among other little touches. Just as happy to talk rifles and rifle building as I am to to talk knives although the knives have taken a serious hold on my attention over the last couple of years and going forward will no doubt dominate my future for as long as the orders keep coming in.

For those interested this is a thread on another forum of most of my rifle building 

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/some-rifles-i-have-stocked-or-built.54264/#post-598536

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Newest AR build is well under way. This one will be a .300 AAC Blackout pistol. I need to get a barrel, gas block, gas tube, and a bolt carrier group. I am also going to file a form 1 and pay my $200 tax stamp to build a suppressor. I am still unsure about using the tube hand guard. I think I'm going to order an M-lok hand guard and a 9 inch barrel. To get a sense of how long a 9 inch barrel is, this is a 9 inch hand guard that's on it. 

20210506_204016.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two grandsons in Michigan asked for granddad to make them each a knife. So I’m am gifting each one next week....... both alike.

Yes they have a favorite college in Michigan and the colors are represented. They’ll learn these are tools when hiking in the woods with their dad.

Gary LT

E330FB8E-A642-47BD-9A09-38F1352607E4.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent the day yesterday with a headache... but got some more refractory in the forge. Now, just the ITC flame face to go.

 

But today I went out and got to work on cleaning up my mess I've made the last few months.

 

Made the scrap metal guy happy... quit holding onto some junk i had piled up.

20210508_132959.jpg

20210508_132906.jpg

20210508_113400.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ready to cut out a few more blades from San mai, 1095, 12C27 and NitroVIMG_20210509_103238.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Welsh joel said:

quit holding onto some junk i had piled up.

You’re going to need that next week ;)

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

First day forging since my back surgery.  Overall pretty productive.

 

20210509_154915.jpg

 

I got a 1084 hunter rough forged and a 12 layer stack of 1084/15n20 drawn out and rewelded twice.  Sitting at 48 layers right now with one more cut and stack to go.  Ran out of propane before I could finish.

Now it's time to kick back and chill before I overdo things :ph34r:.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally finished some very overdue blades.  Trying out some new techniques for both the kydex and the handles. :)

Both 80CrV2 w/ black Micarta Handles
karambit 1.jpg

karambit 2.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife was gone all day Saturday, and as it was a beautiful day, I decided to pull out the forge and get some work done. Started at 8:30 AM and shut the forge down at 5:00 PM. No breaks and unfortunately no action shot pictures, but got a 205 layer billet (41 layers cut in 5 and re-stacked) of 15N20 and 80CrV2 welded up and rough forged into a war hammer head. Then got a 196 layer billet (28 layers cut in 7 and re-stacked), also of 15N20 and 80CrV2, welded up and half of it rough forged to a chef knife for a customer. The other half forged to a 10 inch long 3/4 inch diameter bar then, in the highly scientific jargon of Joshua States, twisted the snot out of it (lost track somewhere around 30...). Planning on making a knife out of this at some point. Lastly, did a third attempt at welding a three bar knife billet up (two previously made twist bars of 15N20 and 1084 with a third previously made bar of 8670 for the edge). Looked real good until I cleaned it up and found a small weld flaw between a twist bar and the edge bar. Back to the drawing board...

 

The down side of this wonderful day of work (besides blowing through 35 pounds of propane) was that the two year old cast-o-light 30 lining of my forge gave up the ghost. Near the end of the day I was pulling large chunks out that were breaking off. Today (Sunday) was spent pulling the rest of the lining out and setting up a new forge cart. Surprisingly the Inswool was in remarkably good shape and I should only have to put a new lining in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Everything profiled and prepped for the next few weeks play with just 3 from the ready drawer to fill out what is needed. Will pick up the liquid nitrogen wednesday when I am in the city to cryo treat the stainless as the Khuluri needs doing so may as well do them all in the same day.
And a box with some superb handle blocks arrived this morning as half of the batch I bought a few weeks back
Box elder, hickory burl then koa on top row with spalted maple, ironwood, rosewood then 3 blocks of quilted koa with more koa to finish out this part of the order.
There are a few blocks of yellow cedar burl and a crazy block of buckeye among others still to come and quite a few blocks of resin ivory.
IMG_20210510_150629.jpg
 
IMG_20210510_103119.jpg
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...