20210512_120847.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Coffee etch and a little oil.. very happy with it. My grinder finally broke down so no handle or any more knives for a while, but there’s an ameribrade 2x72 coming soon. 

Got my first 72" grinder up and running. I tested it out and profiled a little edc. What would normally take me 20 minutes took me 5 minutes. Looking forward to some bigger knife projects in the futur

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Crow hunting is fun. But they are hard to hit at 300 yards!!!:mellow:

Simple solution:  Drop the "r".  Cows are much bigger targets, generally stand still a lot, and taste much better.  More meat per shot, too!  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
Posted (edited)

My neighbor has about 30 cows. That would be a 550 yard shot from my dining room table! Trust me....I've measured it!!!:lol:

20210512_133838.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • Haha 1

But then again he gives me beef in exchange for little welding jobs so I do get to taste them every now and then. 

Posted (edited)

I finished up 9 sheaths I have been working on in preparation for the Blade Show.

All nine V2.jpg

The one on the lower left is for that little by-knife I did. I shamelessly stole the knot carving design from Petr Floriniak. Actually, I stole the sewn-in belt loop design from him too.

By-Knife Sheath (4).jpg

Same on both sides.

By-Knife Sheath (3).jpg

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 4

Re-oriented my burner angle today, and got my forge back together. Did a little more drawing out on my feather pattern steel just to see how she was heating.

It will burn. :D

20210516_195811.jpg

20210516_200810.jpg

20210516_200815.jpg

20210516_200827.jpg

20210406_160832.jpg

Well... failure is always an option.

Had a failed forge weld in my feather pattern.

For only my second attempt at damascus, ill take it.

Got my shed a little warm, 2" pvc pipe was across my lofts on both ends. Smh.

20210518_200002.jpg

20210518_195756.jpg

20210518_195751.jpg

• Sad 2
Posted (edited)

Looks like two small knives instead of one big knife.

Cut a V-notch right where that weld flaw is. Fish mouth weld the end shut. 

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Looks like two small knives instead of one big knife.

Was going to be a leaf blade shaped dagger... planned anyhow. Lol

I think I've enough meat just at the edge to make a full tang blade similar to this-

20210216_154059.jpg

You certainly have enough steel there for two knives. The front piece looks ready to make a push dagger.

Just remember that a lot of forging to shape can distort the pattern.  On a feather pattern, distortion happens very quickly when forging bevels. Judging by the looks of the pattern visible already, that feather could use some forging to length to draw the feather out. 

22 hours ago, Joshua States said:

You certainly have enough steel there for two knives. The front piece looks ready to make a push dagger.

The dimension you couldn't see in that picture was the 1/4" thickness. She was pretty well drawn out there.

Did a little profile grinding today, and test etch.

20210522_143718.jpg

20210522_143701.jpg

20210522_143637.jpg

20210522_143628.jpg

• Like 4

Been working on getting the new forge cart set up and re-lining the forge. Decided to try something different than the "standard" 2 inches of inswool 2600. Wanted a bigger space to work my hearth furnace pucks so went with the old forge body but only 1 inch of inswool 2600 (except for the bottom -  went with 2 inches to make a nice flat surface), then 1/2 inch of cast-o-lite 30, 3/8 inch of bubble alumina on the floor (to protect from flux), and then a judicial coating of ITC100. Redid the air / gas flow also. With this configuration the flame is MUCH easier to control. much better air / gas mixing. Registered 2250F on the last firing of the cast-o-lite (before the bubble alumina and ITC were added) at a lazy 3 PSI and the blast gate and needle valve almost closed off. Hoping to be able to get to 2400+ with the ITC added. The interesting thing is when I tore out the old guts of this forge body, I discovered that the blob in the center (which I thought was a growing pile of slag) turned out to be a 600 gram chunk of super-high carbon cast iron. Now I know where my missing steel from my hearth furnace puck consolidations went.

IMG_2565.jpg

Doesn't show in the picture, but I now see what people mean when they talk of a swirl. 

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

The downer side of my play time is I have to restart the war hammer. 

IMG_2566.jpg

As I was forging in the indents to make the face into an "X" (as in X marks the spot :D) must have forced it too much, too fast and developed a (or opened up a previously hidden one) weld flaw. 

IMG_2567.jpg

Now truth be told, the customer ( a friend of mine wants the war hammer as a present for her husband) gave me completely free artistic license on this project and I started to not really like where it was going. Was thinking about starting over again anyway and this just forced the issue.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

I only had an hour or  so to play in the shop today.  I did manage to get my new quench tube mounted in preparation for an upcoming machete build.

20210526_205527.jpg

Also had a bit to play on the grinder and got my current hunter project up to a 600 grit machine finish.  A quick test etch because I never have the patience to wait :D

20210526_205505.jpg

I was trying for a "flame" pattern along the edge.  Not exactly what I wanted, but not too bad for a first try.

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 3

Got the blade finished up and etched this evening.

20210528_212918.jpg

The "flames" actually turned out better than I thought.  Now I just have to keep from screwing it up tomorrow when I glue the scales on. :blink:

• Like 5
Posted (edited)

Liz had a commission to create a smaller version of a birdbath she made (and sold) last year. The only trouble was she had made the bowl from a found piece of steel that was already in bowl form. So we had to figure out how to heat up a piece of heavy sheet and raise a new bowl. So, I finally had a reason to fire up that coal forge I built 2-1/2 years ago that she couldn't argue with or complain about. 

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1

My brain still hurts on how you guys make Damascus. I can get steel up to nearly white but it still won't stick to anything else or itself clean or fluxed

packaging up and shipping knives away this morning and is a really satisfying part of the process.

John- give us a little more info.

What kind of steel? Whats your method you're using?

Hammering by hand, press, power hammer?

Mebbe we can figure it out.

Posted (edited)

First two of this order ground and ready for handsanding this morning so will see how far I get through them this afternoon.

IMG_20210603_114309.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1

A couple of sheaths this morning then got a few more stainless blades hardened and had a bit of time left so made a holder for a little crucible I got to try a bit of smelting and casting with bronze. I got the pouring clamps for the crucible but it is way too short for getting it attached to the crucible in the forge so cut this out and have the handle epoxied on and curing overnight. May not get to it for a while but when time allows I now have everything in place.

IMG_20210606_153427.jpg

IMG_20210606_153504.jpg

• Like 2

After a few days away from the shed was able to get back in there and finish the hand sanding on this order of NitroV kitchen and fishing knives. A new one 3rd from the left is primarily for peeling a piece of fruit or taking a slice or two from biltong and should go down well with my main customer base.

IMG_20210608_170400.jpg

• Like 1

Picked up my new welder today.  Amico CTS-180, TIG/Stick/Plasma cutter combo.  Of course the argon hose is a different size fitting than my regulator <_<.  Should be able to get that sorted out tomorrow. 

20210610_191031.jpg

Just now, Alex Middleton said:

Picked up my new welder today.  Amico CTS-180, TIG/Stick/Plasma cutter combo.  Of course the argon hose is a different size fitting than my regulator <_<.  Should be able to get that sorted out tomorrow. 

After you get a few hours on it you should start a review thread in the Tools and Toolmaking section.  Then update it after a few months to let us know how it still stands up.  Hope it kicks ass for you!  

• Like 1

Well... the mail man made some deliveries today.

Got new wheels for my grinder, and some quench oil that took a month to get after I ordered it.

20210611_104444.jpg

Edited by Welsh joel
  • Like 2