What did you do in your shop today?

Posted (edited)

This morning Liz had some forging to do before the sun hit the shop/garage doors. Here she is working the LG.

Liz at he LG.jpg

Then she went to deliver two more pieces to the Flagstaff Arboretum. She has sold 4 pieces already at this show.

Then I finished stripping the work trailer down to the frame in preparation for making it into a flatbed.

Trailer frame.jpg

I probably picked the wrong day for this, but it's not getting any cooler anytime soon. This is inside the shop door in the shade.

Thermometer.jpg

Edited by Joshua States
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Coffee etch and a little oil.. very happy with it. My grinder finally broke down so no handle or any more knives for a while, but there’s an ameribrade 2x72 coming soon. 

Got my first 72" grinder up and running. I tested it out and profiled a little edc. What would normally take me 20 minutes took me 5 minutes. Looking forward to some bigger knife projects in the futur

Posted Images

After soaking in vinegar for 2 days, got the scale off and ground this down to 0.125" for a friend.  4" x 12" 300 layers 1080/15N20.  Here it is ground to 400 grit and 15 min in vinegar

20210612_191758.jpg

• Like 2

I've been working on a shibuichi butterfly carving for practice this past week and it turned out nicer than expected so I decided I'd start working on inlaying it into a larger composition. So on Sunday, I cast additional alloys to widen my color palette: some sterling 950 from melting old goblets, which will serve as the main body of the piece, and a good chunk of 40% silver shibuichi for a light grey (butterfly is 20% silver, which patinates quite dark).

mM8v8u7.jpg

I cold worked part of the shibuichi and rolled it as well as some copper into ~2mm sheets for two additional inlays. I rolled and shaped the silver into the beginning of a pendant, textured the back and raised a slight border.

n2ECCJi.jpg

EgOxVww.jpg

I also milled round channels in a piece O1 to shape gold wire into half-round, hoping that I'll be able to turn that into a very thin raised inlay (as opposed to a flush wire inlay), we'll see how that goes.

F8FYJBT.jpg

What do you mean this has nothing to do with bladesmithing? :P

• Like 3

Received this lovely trial set of Karelian Birch  blocks from a new supplier in the Ukraine. 

Karelian Birch.jpg

• Like 2

Todays exercise was to grind the bevels in on these two (hardened and tempered) and get them handsanded.

IMG_20210618_111623.jpg

IMG_20210618_160118.jpg

• Like 1

Got my first 72" grinder up and running. I tested it out and profiled a little edc. What would normally take me 20 minutes took me 5 minutes. Looking forward to some bigger knife projects in the future.

20210617_170811.jpg

20210617_170755.jpg

• Like 9
On 6/19/2021 at 5:31 AM, Faye said:

Got my first 72" grinder up and running.

Making it happen! Woo Hoo!

I finished my trailer project. The only thing left is decide if I want to put another tool box on it.

V2 Trailer done (1).jpg

V2 Trailer done (2).jpg

V2 Trailer done (3).jpg

• Like 2

12388F03-0AA2-4162-B7A4-6581B0F1E92E.jpegI’ve had a little bit of time this week to work on these. The nakiri is twist Damascus getting a walnut crotch handle and I’m not sure for the paring knife yet. 

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • Like 4

I finally had the phone in the shop and tried pictures of what I just finished, and to prove to folks who don't know me that I do make blades, and not sit online all day;):20210621_110459a.jpg

1080/15N20 from the end of a crushed-w billet that the rest ended up here: 

*sigh* . . . now I have more handle work to do....:angry:

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, billyO said:

I do make blades

And pretty nice looking ones at that! That looks cool Billy. Kitchen knives?

Edited by Joshua States
45 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

And pretty nice looking ones at that! That looks cool Billy. Kitchen knives?

Thanks, Joshua.  Yep, that's mostly what I do.  This one has a 6 3/4" (175cm) cutting edge.

• Like 1

I got a new toy to play with and started to get it put together today. I got a good cast iron mill table at a great price a while back so bought a mill head to complete the unit. Built a cupboard and bolted it to the floor to make sure there is no movment then screwed a 3/8 steel plate on top to bolt the mill table to. Have got everything drilled and tapped and just have to weld a length of 6x2 box and a 6x1/2 plate to bolt the mill head to. Will get that done tomorrow if all goes well and it will be all ready for assembly.

IMG_20210623_090403.jpg

IMG_20210623_164645.jpg

• Like 5
On 6/14/2021 at 8:57 AM, Alan Longmire said:

Took a little family portrait at the local guild meeting yesterday.

portrait.jpg

Alan, what method did you use to forge the belt axe?  Punch or fold and weld.

This box of blocks arrived this morning after its adventure with the biosecurity people.Some more beautiful wood from Jason in TX .Some more Hickory burl, Koa, high grade walnut, yellow cedar burl and a single piece of desert ironwood along with the really nice piece of double dyed buck eye burl on the right. I saw that block on his fB page and couldnt go past getting a few others to keep it company on its journey over to me

IMG_20210624_090854.jpg

177603855_190475532893684_5409702847544709215_n.png

5 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Alan, what method did you use to forge the belt axe?  Punch or fold and weld.

Fold and weld. 

15 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Cool, how'd you prep the eye? 

Look about halfway down the second page here:

Not a traditional method as far as I know, but it's how Melvin Lytton taught me in 2000.  And it works!

Starting to think I prefer making forges more than forging hahaha, also I can't seem to find steel cheap enough :(

after getting the handles all done on a carving knife and fork set along with a cimeter and a nakiri I got a couple of neighbours in to help me get the mill head up and bolted into position so really quite pleased with progress for the day.

IMG_20210627_163454.jpg

IMG_20210627_163502.jpg

• Like 3

Made myself a new air supply. 3 hair dryer fans powered by 12v@1.5amp. Shown at 3/4ish power. 

Garry; you are going to love havin that mill drill in the shop !

And after a while you will wonder how you got along with out it fer so long.........:D

Edited by Clifford Brewer
20 minutes ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Garry; you are going to love havin that mill drill in the shop !

And after a while you will wonder how you got along with out it fer so long.........:D

Just got to get a couple of bits and pieces for the tooling drawer but I am already at the stage of wondering why it took so long to get one. The major reason for getting it was for guard slotting and fuller grinding but I am sure there are going to be  a great deal more reasons as time goes by.

• Like 1