One deep ass rabbit hole it will be.................:D

• Haha 1
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Coffee etch and a little oil.. very happy with it. My grinder finally broke down so no handle or any more knives for a while, but there’s an ameribrade 2x72 coming soon. 

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

Posted Images

On 6/27/2021 at 6:15 PM, JohnK said:

Made myself a new air supply.

What is that supplying air to?

Oil burner for my forge. It's been a rough several months getting free time and I finally got around to improving my designs.

With the arrival of a replacment package I had the blocks of resin ivory that I could then cut into scales for this set of knives. Everything was prepped and then into the clamps for the night in the house as there are too many for the usual light lamp in the shed.
The three on the right are for another order so cut the scales at the same time although they will wait on their turn to be finished.IMG_20210701_102438.jpg

scales drilled and all cut to shape with the front edges sanded to 600grit and ready for the handle finishing buff

IMG_20210701_144334.jpg

And all in the clampsIMG_20210701_152708.jpg

Not sure if these are going to be ok yet as I will have to wait get the locating stud next time I am at a friends palce as I can not find the data sheet I compiled for the last grip sets I made. I will do the top and bottom radiusing after I get the locating holes all sorted

IMG_20210701_154509.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the newest builds. The longer barreled upper is a .300 blackout whith a 9 inch barrel. The shorter one is a 5.56/.223 7.5 inch barrel. The both use the same bolt carrier group and lower. So all I have to do is pop out 2 pins change out the BCG and charging handle and put the other upper back on the lower and push the 2 pins back in. All can be done in under a minute.

20210620_170655.jpg20210701_115716.jpg20210701_115846.jpg

This is the 5.56 right at dusk. 

Screenshot_20210630-231016_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

Trying out my new forge. Why build it if ya not gonna use it eh?

20210701_184741.jpg

• Like 3

Coffee etch and a little oil.. very happy with it. My grinder finally broke down so no handle or any more knives for a while, but there’s an ameribrade 2x72 coming soon. B)

B0FFBB29-7456-4E5A-B565-8831BBE3FB11.jpeg

B3DF76A0-F3FF-4D5C-B486-C58C5C7F84CC.jpeg

• Like 10

Been a little busy with non-knifemaking tasks, but I have managed a few things:

SortOfMachete.jpg

This is my first "sort of machete" that I made out of 6150 for my wife. It's for cutting down the thick weedy stuff that grows around our yard. This was the shape she liked best. It works really well on the weedy stuff but not on anything more woody so I think I'll make a more traditionally shaped one for us as well. Speaking of which, after seeing this my brother wanted exactly that so I made him one

MacheteHandle.jpgMachete.jpg

Also out of the 6150 (the handle picture was before it was quite finished). This one chops really well and I am very happy how it turned out.

And I did finish the fantasy dagger/letter opener for my daughter. Didn't make it particularly sharp since it's really more for looks than any sort of use.

DaggerComplete.jpg

The handle is ebony.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I haven't worked on a blade for many weeks, I've been focusing on non-ferrous work for a while. Today I felt like forging, so I grabbed some W2 I had acquired a few weeks back and started working on a tanto. I have some notion of making a somewhat traditional katana down the line, and I've never made a hamon before, so this is will be my first go at it.

sZ0Iqke.jpg

kezjG5b.jpg

WFydhYv.jpg

gdPNVu2.jpg

pfCDRmT.jpg

5apvxqG.jpg

This was the easy part. Still needs profiling, hardening, cleanup, polish, and fittings :wacko:

It was very pleasant forging session, it took me about two hours from start to finish forging (for me, that's pretty efficient lol). Blade was then normalized at 1475/1450/1425, and I did a 1200 sub-critical anneal before cleaning it up on the grinder (the last photo above).

I actually took the rest of the week off, so I should be able to continue working on this for a bit. It'll be a show & tell eventually, someday, hopefully, if I don't mess up too bad. It'll take a while... ;) 

Edited by Francis Gastellu
  • Like 1

Did some profiling today,

xokKRMR.jpg

And played with some clay...

dSln6W6.jpg

Dirty hamon etch (220 grit!) between tempering cycles, because I'm that impatient.

GRnGg4H.jpg

Looks like it worked out okay, curious to see what that'll look like with the final polish.

• Like 4

I tacked up a couple of billets for some new projects and will start forging them tomorrow. Pics elsewhere in the forum.

Had a play on the new mill today with the vice getting the back channel cleaned up and paralelled to the mill table and head, then some parallels made and milled level with the base of the vice.. Have made a spare as well.
now able to make to be more accurate with some aspects of various jobs. The first job now that the parallels are done is to make a 1911 grip set as doing them with the drill press was not up to scratch.

IMG_20210709_155223.jpg

Back channel cleaned up and parallel to table top under the mill

IMG_20210709_155711.jpg

Parallels all done.

IMG_20210709_161826.jpg

• Like 1

Had to do some fieldwork today.  Not fun, but the temporary office space was nice.

20210712_120236.jpg

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

the temporary office space was nice.

That's a good day.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:38 PM, Alan Longmire said:

Had to do some fieldwork today.  Not fun, but the temporary office space was nice.

dijya use yer pattern-welded trowel?

I'd have a hard time concentrating if I worked outdoors in a place like that.  The 5-year old me is still alive and well, and would drag the 50-year old me into wading in the stream...

I had the trowel with me, but it wasn't that kind of fieldwork, just an on-site meeting.  I got there early so I could play in the river, but then I saw a large-ish snake in the water.  I don't mind them on land, but there's just something about a snake in the water that freaks me out...

This was a fun diversion between knives:

brand3.jpg

brand1.jpg

brand2.jpg

Made this for a guy at work.

A little forging and a little welding. I only have a Lincoln stick welder, so I used some 1/16 rods.

Man, I need a MIG.

• Like 4

Last night I did a little prep work for a young man that wants to try forge welding cable. Got him a piece cut and welded to a work stick. The rest is up to him for learning... lol.

The other bits are going to be a "scrapmascus" attempt. Figured I'd challenge myself with the 3/8" wide pieces I'd had leftover.:D

20210713_211258.jpg

20210713_211251.jpg

Resized_20210713_215804.jpeg

• Like 1

I did some forging that I am quite happy with, my new gas forge really is a time saver.

on the left a sheet metal template, the right is straight from the forge, almost a shame to grind it.:P

This knife will be subjected to ABS journeyman testing, I finally got some time to spend on that next to commissions and daily life.

thumbnail_IMG_20210715_094220_232.jpg

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

This knife will be subjected to ABS journeyman testing,

Good luck brother!  Hope everything goes smoothly.

A few blades ready to heat treat and a couple of handles sorted so happy with the last few days efforts. The HunterSkinner on the left is waiting for the customer who wants to see the grinding and heat treating so will get that ine done when he arrives. The 5 stainless police rescue blades are foil wrapped and ready for when I get more LN next time in the city.IMG_20210720_161724.jpg

IMG_20210720_165642.jpg

Not today but a hunter or EDC with guard I'm working on and a post vise I picked up this weekend. Vise needs repairs but it will be an improvement from the light weight 4 inch one I have. 20210712_160845.jpg

20210720_070105.jpg

20210720_070721.jpg

Took some time out this morning to play with something I had wanted to try for a while now but first I had to make a hot cut which is essentially just a blade on a stake to fit in the hardy hole on the anvil so the easiest way to get one was to convert a cheap hatchet so that was the first step.

IMG_20210722_095235.jpg

IMG_20210722_095246.jpg

With that done I cut a strip off a plate of 5/8 thick steel and split it to over center from the top and the bottom but on opposite faces.IMG_20210722_095333.jpg

Into the forge and started the splitting process

IMG_20210722_095836.jpg

It took a couple of heats to get it formed and flattened.

IMG_20210722_100737.jpg

Once formed the legs were trimmed to length with some texturing and holes drilled to take bronze nails,

IMG_20210722_103848.jpg

IMG_20210722_110251.jpg

• Like 3