Jump to content

What did you do in your shop today?


Recommended Posts

I like this idea and execution Garry.

Gary LT

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Coffee etch and a little oil.. very happy with it. My grinder finally broke down so no handle or any more knives for a while, but there’s an ameribrade 2x72 coming soon. 

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Gary LT said:

I like this idea and execution Garry.

Gary LT

Something I had seen on a few videos so certainly not an original idea on my part.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been doing not nearly enough in my shop, since my day job took over my life a few months ago I've only finished two O1 cleavers with giraffe bone handles.

Facebook page didn't work, but strangely enough a whatsapp group has gotten together a large number of knifemakers in our country.  We finally have a venue, and we're busy planning what will be to the best of my knowledge the first Namibian Hammer-In during August.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2021 at 3:27 AM, Conner Michaux said:

Coffee etch and a little oil.. very happy with it. My grinder finally broke down so no handle or any more knives for a while, but there’s an ameribrade 2x72 coming soon. B)

B0FFBB29-7456-4E5A-B565-8831BBE3FB11.jpeg

B3DF76A0-F3FF-4D5C-B486-C58C5C7F84CC.jpeg



That is very pretty, and you've progressed at an amazing rate, well done! B)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Charlie Jack, now this is something that would work in my limited space. Looks awesome. Did you have plans to follow? (Probably not, just talent!)

Gary LT

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gary LT said:

@Charlie Jack, now this is something that would work in my limited space. Looks awesome. Did you have plans to follow? (Probably not, just talent!)

Gary LT

I used James Batson Jr. "Build Your Own Hydraulic Forging Press" book

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good Charlie, one of those is on my never ending list of stuff ta do  !!

Link to post
Share on other sites

We lost power for several hours yesterday during the storm that dumped 6 inches of rain on us.

 

6 inches of rain.JPG

 

So, I recoated the inside of the welding forge. This will take a few days to cure.

 

V 2Forge relining.jpg

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Send some of that rain my way, smoke and heat is all we have out here

in south central Oregon, the bootleg fire is just northeast of me and

making breathing for us with COPD pretty tough

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Send some of that rain my way, smoke and heat is all we have out here

in south central Oregon, the bootleg fire is just northeast of me and

making breathing for us with COPD pretty tough

I've been finding ash on my car the last few mornings, and I've been wondering if it was coming from y'all.  Keep your head down.

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a few ready for handles

IMG_20210727_110303.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Big afternoon with all the handles on and in the clamps under the lights for the night.

There is from the left canvas micarta, giraffe bone, rosewood, spalted maple burl, desert ironwood hickory burl, amboyna, koa, double dyed box elder, and two of hickory burl

IMG_20210727_161024.jpg

 

IMG_20210727_165635.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ameribrade 2x72 has arrived 

Tool arms get here soon. This will be a game changer for sure :DB)

EEF301FD-26BD-4BA4-9E8E-644DBFB7028A.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

After a 12 year hiatus, I've taken back up my third money suck - I mean hobby - home brewing. Starting back out with an Imperial IPA. Will be approximately 100 IBU after dry hopping (serious hop heads ONLY!) and had a starting specific gravity of 1.093 - which means if I get it to ferment to completion will be about 10.5-11.0% ABV. 

 

Next one will be a stout.

Imperial IPA.jpg

Edited by Bill Schmalhofer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Bill.  I took this distraction up in the last year myself.  There is a nice homebrew shop nearby which makes it easy to keep spending money.

 

1.093 is a pretty high gravity.  I don't mess with IPAs, is that typical of the style?

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's more of an Imperial 80/s Barleywine APA, dang... :ph34r:  I personally don't get the overhopping thing, but I know a lot of people love 'em.  

 

You know what the IBUs on an actual English IPA are?  About 35-40. Ordinary bitters are about 25-30.  Yet another reason the English think we Americans are crazy. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Nice Bill.  I took this distraction up in the last year myself.  There is a nice homebrew shop nearby which makes it easy to keep spending money.

 

1.093 is a pretty high gravity.  I don't mess with IPAs, is that typical of the style?

Yeah the one I go to is Great Fermentations. It can be on my way home from work...

1.093 is high even for an Imperial. It was supposed to be around 1.08. I ordered it as a half recipe but the guy at the shop putting it together kept mixing full recipe amounts (I'm easing back into it by doing some pre-calculated recipes before starting my own experimentation) with half recipe amounts and so the super high hop amount (will be getting 4 ounces for the dry hop in a couple of days) and the slightly higher SG. I have a friend who is an international beer judge who has offered to critique it. We'll see where it goes.

43 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

That's more of an Imperial 80/s Barleywine APA, dang... :ph34r:  I personally don't get the overhopping thing, but I know a lot of people love 'em.  

 

You know what the IBUs on an actual English IPA are?  About 35-40. Ordinary bitters are about 25-30.  Yet another reason the English think we Americans are crazy. :lol:

I have never meet a beer that had too much hop although this one may exceed the limit :wacko:. I used to grow Cascade hops and would chew on the flowers like some people do tobacco. Wife thinks I'm crazy. But this is one reason the next one has to be a regular stout. It was the "bribery" to get my wife to allow me to "stink up" the house (she LOVES stout). It's a heavy price, but one I'm willing to pay :lol:.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

After a 12 year hiatus, I've taken back up my third money suck - I mean hobby - home brewing. Starting back out with an Imperial IPA. Will be approximately 100 IBU after dry hopping (serious hop heads ONLY!) and had a starting specific gravity of 1.093 - which means if I get it to ferment to completion will be about 10.5-11.0% ABV. 

 

Next one will be a stout.

Imperial IPA.jpg

Thats up there.....more like barley wine than beer. What yeast did ya use that will tolerate that much alcohol?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2021 at 1:30 PM, Alan Longmire said:

 I personally don't get the overhopping thing

Ditto for me, I've long stopped going to the breweries for that reason and the high alcohol levels.  I used to like to get a couple of pints with dinner, but who can drive after two anymore? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to try grinding a fuller in this evening, so I have it a go. I don’t have any dedicated wheel attachments so I used the 2” wheel on the bottom of the platen, but I don’t think this is beyond cleaning up with some sandpaper and a bunch of patience. 

18A50788-BDF5-4849-828D-4C2D0451832F.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorta back in business! This morning I moved my grinder and stuff from my shed to my new workplace. Had to rewire the VFD and last time I dismantled it I forgot to mark the wires :lol:. Took a good 30 minutes just to sort it out and make sure it doesn't blow up. Feels got to finally be back at it. Now I need some projects!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...