What did you do in your shop today?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Coffee etch and a little oil.. very happy with it. My grinder finally broke down so no handle or any more knives for a while, but there’s an ameribrade 2x72 coming soon. 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Peter Killham said:

It wasn't today, but last weekend.  I'm hoping to get some time to work on it this weekend.

Do you want some tips or suggestions on how to grind that clipped point?

• Like 1

Worked overtime Friday and Saturday till lunchtime, then heat treated 3x 52100 blades while drinking beer.

Sad story, 2 of those blades used to be my first sword, forged from one whole bearing race.

I trimmed it down to wakizashi size so it would fit in my kiln, I was busy on the grinder trying to sort out a few last things when it slipped inbetween the platten and work rest.......guess I don't need to tell you what that did.

By the time I ground out that boo-boo the blade was way too thin, so it became 2 kitchen knives.

When I'm stressed, worried and generally fubar, I should stay away from the grinder....these are hand sanding and contemplation times....

• Like 2
Just now, Peter Killham said:

Absolutely!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today I HT'ed 3 blades. On one, I tested ATP-641 alone as clay to get a hamon, instead of my usual furnace gasket cement.

It did not work...

Anyways, I still got 3 perfectly straight and hardened blades.

I also reprofiled and reground the filet knife I broke earlier. 

PXL_20210809_172203099.jpg

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I am saving this one for later use. Thanks Joshua

26 minutes ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Good to see you back Colonel..............B)

Thanks, it's good to be back! You should see some more mustard patinas soon :lol:

• Like 2

Yesterday did some grinding on an experimental Z-wear/ stainless blade and some light chopping into a carved buffalo horn. Also I cut welded doors on the Argentine grill and layed out the vents. 

20210810_181827.jpg

20210810_202651.jpg

20210810_195558.jpg

20210810_201315.jpg

• Like 1

Certainly not the most awesome thing I have ever done or made, but you have to start somewhere....

V2 Handle  (1) .jpg

V2 Handle  (2).jpg

• Like 3

The bench top lathe turned up so it was unpacked, bolted into its place on the bench and given a tes run. I will get a bit of a heads up from the engineer on turning speed etc for steel and brass but pleased to have it after years of thnking it would be a handy thing.

IMG_20210812_151309.jpg

IMG_20210812_160440.jpg

• Like 3

Has been a busy weekend and going to be busy vacation day tomorrow.

Yesterday got the stout all bottled.

IMG_2817.jpg

Today, got four tomahawk bodies and two tomahawk shaped axe bodies forged up.

Hawk bodies IMG_2825.jpg

Tomorrow bottling the Imperial PA.

• Like 2

I had a bad day in the shop. A spalted maple handle came apart in the knife vice.

20210816_160605_HDR.jpg

• Sad 3

Bummer Faye, that was a nice piece of wood too.  Look on the bright side.  Now you can sell it as having a three finger handle!:D

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

Now you can sell it as having a three finger handle

Unfortunately, it broke right at the end of the tang, so I don't have a solid wood back any more. I was thinking of putting it back together with blind pins and a fiber gasket. If it survives some abusive testing I might even sell it.

• Like 1

Real sad, it was a beautiful piece...

It is one of the reasons why I refrain myself from using burls and other brittle materials(think pine cone) for my hidden tang handles. Even stabilised it's not very sturdy. But perhaps if used on a framed handle with liners it would be strong enough? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Faye said:

I had a bad day in the shop. A spalted maple handle came apart in the knife vice.

20210816_160605_HDR.jpg

Too pretty to waste but If you can do casting in an upright container and were accurate with a 2 or 3 pins you could save that handle and at least it would be an interesting experience and add another skill to your tooll bag

Edited by Garry Keown

Bit of reorganisation to run that forge safely. Swapped the bandsaw with the drillpress (which is about half a ton). Moved the press to the right. I need to get rid over all that wood over grinding section too. And perhaps construct a duct over the forge just to suck the waste heat. I cannot make a hole in that wall, so it needs to go out of the window.

image000000 (1).jpg

image000000 (2).jpg

image000000 (3).jpg

image000000 (4).jpg

image000000 (5).jpg

image000000.jpg

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

That is a really cool drill press.

True!  And I have that bandsaw as well. ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

That is a really cool drill press.

Its very old one and I want to restore it when I have a bit of a time. Its a bit of a beast, since it takes anything up to morse 4 and can drill a hole 400 mm deep in one go.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Jaro Petrina said:

it takes anything up to morse 4 and can drill a hole 400 mm deep in one go.

yikes :o