What did you do in your shop today?

The one day a lifetime where I organize.  

I got my order from the Baron in today (Thanks, Fedex Home Delivery, though you're working too hard for me!).  Every knife I've made so far I've made the handle with hand tools, so it was about time when I got my federal in the other day that I got a bandsaw.  

If I can't resaw, I'll wait to get a 2hp+ band.  Just clearing out a little space for a benchtop model.  I've been using the shinto rasp to shape my scales the most recently -- looking very forward to the next.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few weeks ago a kid (I say kid, college senior doing an honors thesis, probably 21 or so ) came to my local guild meeting to ask if anyone could help him with a sword. His honors thesis involves han

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

Posted Images

I am quarantined at home because I got that flu that's going around. I just did a heat treat of a 1075 blade and used an anti-decarb (Condursal Z1100) for the first time. I think it worked. But a file doesn't skate. I accidentally over heated the oil. Could that cause it to not harden properly?

Recently I was in Orlando, FL on business. I had a chance to drop by Randall Knives and got to talk with Jason Randall for a bit. I had been there 8 years or so ago, of course you can’t tour the shop but anyone can tour the museum. Attached is a photo of the Scagel knife which started it all and of course the rest is history.

I am not a groupie or a collector but the Randall folks have always been courteous and we are all bladesmith’s anyway. 

So I felt inspired to make a few similar as I had the time and some material.

Gary LT

1B0CBDB3-D3A3-4EDF-B463-0BE84F1BEC1A.jpeg

CB14E707-DBAE-40DD-B6E2-1BE1177FE4E0.jpeg

• Like 4

Hand sanded Zeb's blade to #800 and revealed the patterns. Looks like it's got some hamon activity. 

PXL_20210906_201910594.jpg

PXL_20210906_223632095.jpg

Edited by Joël Mercier
  • Like 3

Got a bit of work done on my brother in laws cleaver today.

20210906_192739.jpg

Obviously there's still a bunch of work to do yet.  Quick question for those of you that have made these before.  I meant to bump the heat up on my temper a bit to around 420 or so and overshot to 450 before I realized  it.  Too high?  The stock is .140" 15n20 from NJSB.  BIL plans to use it as a true cleaver for meat processing, chopping through bones, etc.

• Like 1

Just a guess, but since the steel is made by Uddeholm, it's probably quite clean and won't suffer much from martensite embrittlement. Similar to 26c3, which doesn't show the usual toughness dip in that area.

• Thanks 1

Got a little time in the forge today...

The scrap damascus got drawn out into a smaller hidden tang dagger shape.

It's basically layers layed criss cross over each other. Some squares, some lines in a random pattern.

Just screwing around... but got back on the anvil!

20210713_215804.jpg

15 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Just a guess, but since the steel is made by Uddeholm, it's probably quite clean and won't suffer much from martensite embrittlement.

I would bet on this as well.  Also, it generally shouldn't be a problem below 500 F or so.  

• Thanks 1

Got some forge time yesterday, and got a couple of blades almost profiled before running out of propane.  The larger one is now ~8" (205mm) and the smaller one is ~ 6" (150mm) and about 3/16" (5mm) thick now, but I was planning on forging down to about 1/8" (3mm). 20210907_090411.jpg

Edited by billyO

Took some time to put together a proof of concept of a skeleton frame folder that I've been playing with off and on for quite some time.  I laser cut the pieces out of 14 ga mild steel to see how well it would go together.

20210907_203512.jpg20210907_203530.jpg20210907_203937.jpg20210907_203950.jpg

Overall it wasn't too bad.  I do have to make a few adjustments before I try it again though.

• Like 4
On 8/8/2021 at 7:40 PM, Peter Killham said:

It wasn't today, but last weekend.  I'm hoping to get some time to work on it this weekend.

20210803_200912.jpg

I completed this knife a couple of weeks ago.  It was my first time doing a slotted guard, and I've learned a lot through this process.  

20210819_174727.jpg

Edited by Peter Killham

Came up from the shop after a few hours -- profiled a knife for my sister, and started on one for myself.  

I've only worked with 440C and O1.  1095 is wildly different try for the first time a dozen or so knives in.  Absolutely light years' difference in feel.  First time working with it.  

Thanks @Gary LT, might have to wait a bit though.  I'm not sure when I'll get back around to it again.  Too many projects, not enough time. :D

Edited by Alex Middleton

Swapped burned out 1,1 kW motor on my hammer to a 3KW. Needed some tinkering. The new plate and drilling of the primary wheel as the axle is bigger. That should run for a while, its a beast.

motor2.jpg

motor1.jpg

• Like 2

Nice!  That will work.  Being in a country that rates motors by horsepower I had to look it up.  3Kw is a bit over 4 HP (!) 

My hammer runs great on a 2HP/ 1.5Kw motor, but then it has belts and was designed to run on relatively low power input by use of a flywheel. Those direct-contact friction drives do need more power.

• Like 1

"but then it has belts and was designed to run on relatively low power input by use of a flywheel."   Yes, that would complicate my build, I would have to implement a clutch between the flywheel and the crank. Not impossible, but costly. I also need to add some counterweights - I have one smaller for the crank itself and another for the car tyre. That would improve things :D  One thing though - it beats now with much more authority. :D 

Some more work done on the handle. It was my first time filing a twist. Time consuming, but fun! In case you wonder, it's a piece of ram's horn and it stinks :lol:

The general shape should be puukko inspired. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/HHI-pWs21CU?feature=share

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Some more work done on the handle. It was my first time filing a twist. Time consuming, but fun! In case you wonder, it's a piece of ram's horn and it stinks :lol:

The general shape should be puukko inspired

That looks freaking amazing!

On 9/8/2021 at 1:32 PM, Jaro Petrina said:

Swapped burned out 1,1 kW motor on my hammer to a 3KW. Needed some tinkering. The new plate and drilling of the primary wheel as the axle is bigger. That should run for a while, its a beast.

And that does too!

• Thanks 1

I had to cut my shop time a little short this afternoon to take my niece out during Michigan's Youth deer season.  She managed to connect on her first one ever!

20210912_185503.jpg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

I had to cut my shop time a little short this afternoon to take my niece out during Michigan's Youth deer season.  She managed to connect on her first one ever!

20210912_185503.jpg

Nice one uncle Alex

4 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

Nice one uncle Alex

Lol thanks Garry.  I think she's hooked now.  Probably time for her to get a real hunting knife.  Especially since I told her that I'm not field dressing her next one for her!

• Like 1