What did you do in your shop today?

On 10/3/2021 at 1:11 AM, jake cleland said:

Doing some more to this one:

samarra 15.jpg

samarra 14.jpg

Love this @jake cleland!!! Belongs on Discworld indeed!
I started making more kitchen knives because "they will be used", been giving away more knives than I sell, and every time I see this knife I think it's time to change gear and start making knives for the joy of it, with the last consideration being it's salability 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few weeks ago a kid (I say kid, college senior doing an honors thesis, probably 21 or so ) came to my local guild meeting to ask if anyone could help him with a sword. His honors thesis involves han

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Posted Images

Got the knifemaking wind in my sails for the first time in about a year! ground this 240 gyuto I had previously forged, and did a surprisingly neat job! 

It will probably all be down hill from here, but nice to be making again!

240gyuto.jpg

• Like 6

Finally got the frame for a little bottle jack press tacked together.  (Professional welders may want to stop looking here! :D)

20211005_173905.jpg

I doubt that my little manual jack is going to cut it for long.  I'll probably upgrade to an air/hydraulic if everything works as planned.  Should be sized to take the 20 ton from Harbor Freight that seems to be popular for these types of presses.  I still need to take a couple more passes over the critical welds, and get the die holders in place.  Then take it for a test spin and see what happens. 

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 1

Finally got started on a pedal for my hydraulic press, seems like something has always changed my plans before today.

IMG_20211005_194449143.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was asked the other day if I would do a table at the heritage day in first week of november so while I have a few knives on hand from the local shop. The shop owner goes up to warmer climes in the winter and would usually be back about a month ago but with the covid, has been stuck up there, so I have the knives untill she gets back when she can have them back in her shop. But there is not quite as many as I would like for the display/sale so with a few from the ready draw that need handles and a few more I cut out today I should have about 30 ready for the day 

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Finally got the frame for a little bottle jack press tacked together.  (Professional welders may want to stop looking here! :D)

Alex,what is the overall height and width of your press?

It's 6" in between the uprights, and 24" to the top of them.  Base is 8" deep.  I used 2" square x 1/4" tubing for all of the structural pieces.  The top crossmember is set to a comfortable working height for the jack, I could have easily cut a couple of inches off of the uprights without causing an issue.

A rasp bowie HT and finish ground then a SS blades profiled HT and into the liquid nitrogen for a coupleof hrs. Will do a first temper this evening.

• Like 1
On 10/6/2021 at 12:36 AM, Alex Middleton said:

20211005_173905.jpg

I doubt that my little manual jack is going to cut it for long.  I'll probably upgrade to an air/hydraulic if everything works as planned.  Should be sized to take the 20 ton from Harbor Freight that seems to be popular for these types of presses.  I still need to take a couple more passes over the critical welds, and get the die holders in place.  Then take it for a test spin and see what happens. 

Brother, I am last to criticise, because it took me bloody time to learn the basic, but thats shocking welds. Was that with a stick and what is your setup? Wont you have anybody round to show you? I actually went to youtube at one point and found the tutorials (which is plenty there) rather helpfull.

Edited by Jaro Petrina
On 10/5/2021 at 11:36 PM, Alex Middleton said:

20211005_173905.jpg

I would strongly recommend leaning back and squinting when you load that up!

please don't put 20 ton on it, even if you re-weld it. Welding over a bad weld is still, errrm, you know. Not easy to visualise the forces involved, but if a 20 ton anvil block was hanging from a crane, with your press frame as the link, would you stand under it?! -

I don't mean to be 'that guy' but better to excercise a bit of caution! :o

Working on my version of Jeremiah Johnson bowie. I copied overall shape and tapers, its 3/8" thick at the handle and forged thinner each way, but not the grind. The flat grind is gonna be more practical - and I would need 30" contact wheel to get the grind like on the original sheffield knife. I will put fileworked guard and moose antler scales on it.

jeremiah johnson my version.jpg

Edited by Jaro Petrina
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, John N said:

I don't mean to be 'that guy' but better to excercise a bit of caution! :o

Don't ever hesitate to be 'that guy' @John N i really do appreciate the feedback.  You gotta try a lot harder than that to hurt the one feeling I have left. :D

Thankfully the welds aren't all as bad as they seem from the pic.  I'm still trying to figure out how to make stick welds look pretty, but I know how to burn them in pretty well.

I've run it up to max for that jack a few times, starting with wood and working up to cold steel.  Definitely wearing PPE and feeling a bit of pucker factor the whole time.  No creaks or pops yet, but it'll be quite a while until I have any type of comfort level with it.  Someday I'll have enough squirreled away to order one of yours.

Edited by Alex Middleton

Happy with where this lot is to finish out the week. From left is a boning knife with black pal, a fruit knife with spilled milk acrylic, damascus pocket ranger with impala jigged buff /red liners, a new one for me in a 4x4 hunter with desert ironwood over buff, a skinner with resin ivory over paper micaarta,a bird and trut with the new royal blue and brown bone with black liners, a carving set with bronze and hickory burl (that is my pattern blade as the actual blade is still in the tempering oven, a grayling with dyed box elder, a rasp bowie that will have brass bolster with a black and brass spacers and an edge pinned koa handle then a fisherman and a fillet knife with black and blue acrylic over blue liners.

20211008_160808.jpg

• Like 3

Some of the last knives I finished before shoulder surgery, some have been waiting for handles for a while.
Had to fit new tyres this weekend so I'm quite keen to sell some of these....
1070 with orange "wool" bolster and Afromosia handle.  Believe the "wool" is actually polyester, nice thing is it came out all translucent......looks like a boiled sweet! 
1070 with red wool bolster and artists canvas micarta handle 

IMG_20211010_160441[1].jpg

IMG_20211010_160511[1].jpg

IMG_20210811_205404[1].jpg

• Like 1

My source of Afromosia.......retired rope ladder steps off a fishing boat.
My photos do not do the wood justice

IMG_20211010_163518[1].jpg

• Like 1

This was supposed to be my first sword, forged from a single bearing race.

I realized it was too long for my kiln, so I trimmed it down to Wakizashi size and got the swoop of the spine acceptable.
I was busy with a last bit of grinding when it bit and the blade got pulled in between the platten and the work rest.  By the time that was ground out the blade was too thin.
Since one cousin got an O1 cleaver and the other just a little Ulu, I decided to pair the Ulu with a kitchen Tanto :ph34r:
Black bull denim micarta handles on both, mohair wool micarta bolster on the tanto.   

IMG_20211010_160639[1].jpg

IMG_20211010_160707[1].jpg

• Like 1

put some clothes on the blade I posted up last week! 

Handle is micarta, and Walnut. Im not 100% convinced, but its growing on me a bit.

240_7.jpg

240_6.jpg

240_5.jpg

240_4.jpg

• Like 5

All ready for a glue up this afternoon20211011_115009.jpg

• Like 4

I finally got a "shop day" and I spent the whole time grinding (that is inbetween helping Liz with some of her stuff) Took them all to 220 on the grinders.

Bunch of grinding V2.jpg

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 3

Started a new job recently!  So, it's been a few weeks since I've done anything in my shop.  Cleaning, preparing my office, training, etc.  

I posted over here about 14C28N - 

Anybody have much luck -- or lack thereof -- with it?  I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong because I really, really want to like this steel.  

I guess I could always throw it back in the forge and cycle it in the oven again a few times and try again.  Just isn't biting onions the way it should.  I don't know where I'm messing up.  

"Bite" is a matter of edge geometry. If it bites for a while and then doesn't, that's heat treatment.  If it never bites to start with, that's you.