What did you do in your shop today?

A few weeks ago a kid (I say kid, college senior doing an honors thesis, probably 21 or so :lol:) came to my local guild meeting to ask if anyone could help him with a sword. His honors thesis involves hand-making everything that appears in a portrait of a Scots nobleman of the mid-18th century.  He's already made the shoes and belts, woven the fabric for the hose and jacket, made the hat, and all sorts of other things.  Since he also makes flintlock rifles by hand, and as such proved he's no idiot, I agreed to see what he could do with the equipment I have that he needed to help with the sword blade.

Eight shop hours over the last two days, and here he is with a completed backsword blade, ground to 120.  He did most of the forging and all the grinding except for a couple of tricky bits. 5/16" x 1.3" 1084 starting stock.

Forged yesterday, ground and partially drawfiled today.

sword.jpg

I think he looks kinda proud. B)

• Like 16
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few weeks ago a kid (I say kid, college senior doing an honors thesis, probably 21 or so ) came to my local guild meeting to ask if anyone could help him with a sword. His honors thesis involves han

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Posted Images

That's awesome.  I just got off a Zoom meeting with my son.  He said that when he comes home for Thanksgiving he wants to give another go at forging a knife.  Makes me look forward to seeing him even more!

• Like 1

got a dozen sheaths finished this morning and will get the blade all sharpened this afternoon.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joël Mercier said:

Hot damn...

A power hammer and a KMG with 36 grit ceramic belts can move a fair amount of steel with sufficient motivation. B)

• Like 1

Have these all done now and ready for the heritage day here early november. The shop has another 10 or 12 that I will get back to have a decent display. Just the group pic for today as its been a long one getting all the sheaths sewn, hot waxed and the blades all sharpened so will get some individual pics and details later in the week. Couple of new handle materials in there20211017_161421.jpg

• Like 7

Tried something different that I've been interested in. San mai with A203,copper, 15n20,copper with a 26c3 core. Needs a little more grinding and I need to figure out etching better. 

20211018_083334.jpg

20211018_083313.jpg

Edited by Gilbert McCann
  • Like 5

Sadness. I ended up grinding it much thinner than I had intended to while tring to get all of the press-marks out, and so when I quenched it, it was very wiggly. I tempered it to 275, then clamped it to a bar to try to straighten it, but it was not to be.  I'm contemplating still sanding it up and etching it and supergluing it back together since I never had any intention of using it as a knife.

But maybe best to just toss it in the Hall of Fail and move on.

photo_2021-10-18_13-50-41.jpg

Edited by Ted Stocksdale
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, Ted Stocksdale said:

I tempered it to 275

Sorry it broke, but that's a bit on the cold side to try and straighten.  If you knew you were going to temper at 425 anyway, it might have survived being clamped at that temperature. But that's how we learn. 

For instance, I've learned pretty close to how much I can tweak an AEB-L folder spring before it snaps.  Still just pretty close, not exactly. :unsure:

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Sorry it broke, but that's a bit on the cold side to try and straighten.

Bummer....I quickly got into the habit of doing one 1-hour temper cycle before introducing a warped blade to my straightening jigs for subsequent tempering cycles...especially important after spending a few days making the damascus billet.

Edited by billyO

Fortunately, that was a cut-off end scrap not the actual billet, so it's not too tragic. My wife has claimed the snapped-off blade end and wants me to clean it up and sharpen it - she has something in mind for it for use with her quilting. For the tang, I think I'll clean the scale off and chop it up for canister scrap.

I had stuck it in the oven last thing at night for an hour so it didn't sit overnight at room temperature (I remembered that much!), but I really don't have a good reason why I picked 275 when I fully intended to temper to 425. I chalk it up to "scurrying to finish up as it got considerably later than I had intended to be working".  I had hoped that was enough to take a bit of bending but it snapped the next morning when I jigged it up for the next temper.  (It was wavy, but nothing needed to move more than 1/16 of an inch or thereabouts). Obviously, I was wrong :D

On 10/18/2021 at 5:41 PM, Gilbert McCann said:

Tried something different that I've been interested in. San mai with A203,copper, 15n20,copper with a 26c3 core. Needs a little more grinding and I need to figure out etching better. 

20211018_083334.jpg

20211018_083313.jpg

These copper shenanigans are just stunning!

It feels to me like this is something new that's popped up over the last two years or so......could it be?

I have questioned myself about what would happen with the copper and nickel when exposed to acidic foods. Isn't it what they used for the first batteries? Perhaps I am overthinking again...

It is visually stunning though...

Ariel Salavierra was doing it back around 2004.  Dunno if he was the first or not.  It is a cool effect, but it's basically just a big braze joint.

Not ideal metallurgically, and yes, it does increase corrosion via galvanic reaction, but keep it clean and dry and it'll outlast you.

Drop it in wet dirt for 100 years and all you'll find is copper foil. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A few more in the works!!!

The 2 bottom ones are serialized ar 15s and the top one is an 80% ar10 in the raw that will be chambered in 6.5 creedmoor 

20211023_140849.jpg

• Like 3

Finished this one up yesterday.  I still need to get the leather work done and sent off to the buyer.

80CRV2 ended up about .140" at the spine and 60 Rc.  One of my thinner knives to date.  I rather like the handling of a thinner blade comparatively.

IMG_20211023_124638765(1).jpg

Edited by Adam Reggie
correcting grammar
  • Like 1

Got this lot all finish ground so some hand sanding to come

20211025_141117.jpg

• Like 4

Making four knives for a customer who insists on having laminated full-tang slabs of G-10 topped with bone.  

Dilemma: I want to slant the front edge of the slabs back at 45° and can only accomplish what I need after they are glued together. I can set the work rest on my grinder to 135° to get the angle, but I would have to grind bone side down. The bone hasn't been flattened and there's no way to flatten it in true parallel to the flat of the G-10.

Fix: I made a real quick jig out of 3/4 plywood so I could screw the slab flat and then grind upside down.

IMG_20211025_210352406.jpg

IMG_20211025_210403508.jpg

IMG_20211025_211212182.jpg

I had to wear my 3x glasses, but with a steady hand I was able to do a sharp, clean edge on four pairs in short order.

IMG_20211025_210417387.jpg

Edited by Don Abbott
  • Like 5

Some very cool things are happening tomorrow :ph34r:

image.jpg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Don Abbott said:

slabs of G-10 topped with bone

Grinding that must have smelled pretty interesting.

3 hours ago, Charles dP said:

Grinding that must have smelled pretty interesting.

Yeah, nothing like the smell of bone on a grinder (unless it's horn).

Definitely kept the respirator on. That G-10 dust scares me anyway.