What did you do in your shop today?

I made a combo flat/drawing die, not much to see but changing between gets annoying.

Yesterday, I made not one but three knife-shaped pieces of metal full of cracks that fell apart. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I did it very wrong on that batch.

I made another tiny 3-inch knife today just to make sure I wasn't crazy - it turned out fine, so I guess the recycle bin was just hungry yesterday or something.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few weeks ago a kid (I say kid, college senior doing an honors thesis, probably 21 or so ) came to my local guild meeting to ask if anyone could help him with a sword. His honors thesis involves han

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Ted Stocksdale said:

three knife-shaped pieces of metal full of cracks that fell apart.

possible overheating? I have gotten steel too hot and had pieces of the bars fall off in the forge.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

possible overheating? I have gotten steel too hot and had pieces of the bars fall off in the forge.

My thoughts exactly. Overheated steel turns to metallic cottage cheese in texture when forged.

• Like 1

Had a table at the vintage club for the herritage day and came away with a nice wad in my pocket and a couple of positive client contacts so while I am very ill at ease in this type of setting it certainly paid better than wages.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

My thoughts exactly. Overheated steel turns to metallic cottage cheese in texture when forged.

Ah... very likely. After the relining, my forge gets hotter (and gets there faster) than it used to. I bet I slipped back to my old settings and got things too hot on Friday - thanks!

Things worked just fine today, thank goodness. I made a new version of the chopper that fell apart on Friday, and it went without a hitch.

Took Friday of to fit new rear leaf springs on my car, went on an unsuccessful hunt for shock absorbers for the last two hours of the AM, then got back under the car and apparently worked myself right into heat stroke :wacko:

Third weekend in a row I end up feeling to bad to work, two micarta bolsters for paring knives was the grand total for this weekend.

Done talking to my motor, this is 3kW delta wired 230# pound cast iron armored beast. Originally used in foundry to stir molten metal. The cables to coils in wiring box are 8 mm thick. This wont overheat or anything. Significantly more torque than the other one, which was star wired only.

IMG_20211108_092058_resized_20211108_102448046.jpg

IMG_20211108_092142_resized_20211108_102553365.jpg

Edited by Jaro Petrina
  • Like 2

Jealous of that motor !! :blink:

Not jealous of the next electricity bill :o

• Haha 1

Spent some time on projects last night for the first time in a long time!

Getting handles figured out on a small seax and I guess what could be called a "fighter" knife (of the light stabby pointy variant).  The seax is firepile-rescue Madrone and Antler, and the fighter is Mountain Mahogany and will get copper guard pieces.

dotcircle seax.jpg  Fighter knife concept.jpg

Learning myself some draw-filing on a small tanto!  I'm doing my best to attempt not to use any electricity on this build in the name of tradition/learning new stuffs/appreciating the tools I have. :lol: 

Tanto.jpg

And I also have this Kitchen knife I'm doing for a friend.  All things considered, this attempt is a failure so I will have to remake it after this rescue is "finished".  It's a sanmai of 15n20 & the plow blade from one of his relatives back in the Oregon Trail days, but I buggered one side of the 15n20 cladding so bad now it's pretty much just 2 layers, lol!:rolleyes:  Luckily I saved half the plow steel and will be having another go at it shortly!
jordan's veggie knife.jpg

This first attempt will be finished off as a very thin and nimble knife for him to either keep or give away to other family since his preference was for a more beefy blade.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Now that's a motor!

I m very reasonably strong, but I had to lift it on my shoulder, then with my right hand underneath like if carying a platter above and use left to navigate and slip it on that pendulum arm. That was not easy :D

I have 7,5 kW on my press, that is around 100 kg, but this yellow armored beast is heavier still.

motor.jpg

flir_20170628T144202.jpg

• Like 2

Believe it or not, this is a 30 ton hydraulic press. It lacks no character that's for sure. I put a little paint on it today, hopefully I will have a video of it up and running by the end if the week.

Snapchat-1358004127.jpg

It weighs probably 300+ pounds. I learned a valuable and expensive life lesson when I picked it up. Always strap things down, even when you aren't going very far, especially on rough roads. My cute press tried to join me in the front seat of my truck and brought the back window with it in very small peices. So my "free" press is gonna cost me more than a Damascus hatchet, but by golly I'll never be without a ratchet strap again!

• Like 6

I was welding on a hay ring for my neighbor and I had a little accident. Molten metal in the boot really sucks!!! I will never tie my boots in a double knot again. 

20211108_121821.jpg

20211108_122247.jpg

I managed to do exactly the same thing when I was welding a loading shovel bucket , but I was wearing proper welding boots!! 

Lumps of molten metal finds every little hole :angry:

It burned through the leather tongue of the boot in 2 spots. They are Caterpillar boots so there not cheapo boots either. 

Had a reasonable Heritage day with sales and some positive prospects going forward but while there are a couple in the order book the last post (shipping times) for the year will be here before they are done so there is not the urgency to complete them which allows me to have a play with something I have been contemplating for some time.
I have seen a number of long swords on the  forum and without getting into a longer tempering oven, I am limited (length wise) in what I can attempt. The Hunting Sword is what I have set out to make, and with an 18 inch blade, I can make it with what I have on hand so this morning I made up a pattern and cut one out of a sheet of 3/16 1075, got it profiled and ground in and cleaned up the fullers.
This is a teaser pic of where it is for now. Have started a bit of video so will keep that till it is finished.

IMG_0893.JPG

Wont be much happening for a bit as getting the caravan sorted this afternoon so we can get away for a break. Going down through the catlins witch is a nice drive through native forest and occasional sea scapes.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 4

Yesterday after work I attended a gallery opening, I believe first ever in my 46 years. :D

The paintings are basically the result of the stroke recovery therapy of a friend's wife, and he forged a boat load of spoons in all shapes and sizes which were also on display and for sale.

I bought what I jokingly called the heroin spoon :P since somebody else fortunately bought the larger spoon I also liked.

All the paintings were way outside my price range.  Taking nothing away from the artist, I've watched some of them being painted, and I couldn't help thinking.....

The cheapest ones were about the same price as the most expensive knives I've ever sold, the more expensive ones about double what I charge for a large chef's knife.

The spoons sold out I think, even the arty-farty'est types bought some :ph34r:

THEN........an old friend dropped by and we had too many beers trying to figure what micarta combo to put on his birthday mini-cleaver.

• Like 1
On 11/9/2021 at 9:44 AM, Jeremy Blohm said:

It burned through the leather tongue of the boot in 2 spots.

Now I don't feel as bad as the only one who might have done that to themself.  I had a pair of cheapo wally world boots didn't put on the better pair when I went to do a quick weld.  welder was turned up to high to begin with and a slop of molten metal fell off the welding table's slits.  I saw it fall, but didn't watch what happened.  Burned right though the tongue of the boot, (cheap polyester).  At least I had the sense of "I'm getting burned" quick enough that I did not get anything like that. 

lesson learned, don't weld over feet when the welder is too high for what its meant for. 

Edited by Daniel W
2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

How big an opening does it have?

It has about a 2 1/2"- 3" opening with both dies in. However, the top die is removable to give an extra 2" of clerance for a larger peice.

I don't think it will fit a 30+ layer initial billet, but that's ok with me.