What did you do in your shop today?

Yikes, Martin! :o There are less painful ways to get a helicopter ride, you know...  hope it heals well and you don't lose any hand dexterity!  They can do wonders with surgery these days.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few weeks ago a kid (I say kid, college senior doing an honors thesis, probably 21 or so ) came to my local guild meeting to ask if anyone could help him with a sword. His honors thesis involves han

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

finished riveting up basket hilt attempt number three. Finally got one I'm pretty happy with. my original plan was to braze it after riveting, but honestly the risk/reward doesn't seem worth it...

Posted Images

Thanks, the team of surgeons are positive that I'll make a full recovery, ironically I caught my overall sleeve caught while turning off the industrial size belt grinder I was using, a press of a button, a large jolt and a chopper ride later, 

Already planing and trying to draw left handed in my hospital bed 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

finished riveting up basket hilt attempt number three. Finally got one I'm pretty happy with. my original plan was to braze it after riveting, but honestly the risk/reward doesn't seem worth it...

basket 50.jpg

basket 51.jpg

basket 52.jpg

basket 53.jpg

• Like 12

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

It has been taking me quite a long time to get to anything at my work shop, but I finally did some simple upgrades to get my garage shop set up a little quicker.  I didn't get to work on anything stupendous, just more tongs and getting ready for making some little stuff to gift out over the year. 

I've been neglecting a tool on my hammer rack that after some reading of an old e book is a little more important than to just leave it hanging there.  A flatter for some final refinement.  This is a lower jaw of what I'm going to fab up into 1 1/2 box jaw tongs.

20220619_173722.jpg

The other side came out just about as well, but for a little cold shut that I did not totally remove with the rasp. I made these nibs by the twist method thinking it would save a little bit of time. The upper boss and nib, I like to make my box jaws with a bow in them as it give a little bit of variety in what stock sizes it can hold comfortably without having to readjusts them.  I find that the other set I made of these set for 1/4 will hold up to 3/8 pretty comfortably. 

20220619_173727.jpg

However I'm also showing my lack of practice as I did not notice until the pieces were cooled and set them together that I did not pay attention and twisted the nibs in opposite directions. back in the fire one of them will go.

Edited by Daniel W
  • Like 2

Trying my hand at canister welding ........for got the air hole luckly i think i can scavange enough for some san mi the next one will be better also smaller nuts

received_2830376257269238.jpeg

• Like 1

Brandon Sawisch bladesmith

eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines

She was breathing fire when i finished welding buuuuut not enough if it had puffed out any more it might not have fit out the forge door

I am pretty sure i can get something useful out of it so its still a win 

Brandon Sawisch bladesmith

eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines

Another attempt at a bronze sword hilt. Didn't work out, but was educational. The wood is alder, which I harvested some years ago. Unfortunately after I burned in the tang, there was still a drying crack there, making this one unusable. So I split it open, to see how the inside looked. As I've experienced before, the effect of the burning is paper thin. A tenth of a mm below the surface the wood is completely unaffected.

Burning in the tang. The wood is kept wet in between burns. The tang is heated to below red (though in broad day light):

P1250150.JPGP1250171.JPG

The split handle:

20220625_161220.jpg20220625_161216.jpg

The hilt tang was burned in sufficient to cut the end to the right profile.

The wood cut across, showing the depth of the burn near the end, which is exposed to the most burns:

20220625_174147.jpg

Anyway, back to another attempt, and better checking for drying cracks in the next piece of wood that I use. I did make some domed washers for the rivets. So at least a little progress was made :) 20220625_223744.jpg

• Like 2

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking