Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Bill: Here in Arizona, I'm a little late (about 2 weeks) in getting the garden planted. Even worse, I should have been germinating plants indoors for the last 6-8 weeks, so I could be putting hardened off plants in the dirt right about now. As it stands, I'm direct sowing seeds and probably won't have my spring harvest this year.

John: That's a really cool Luthier project you've got going. Is that a lyre or a mandolin or something else?

Anyway, I got back in the shop for a little bit and did some grinding on the KITH knife, when calamity struck........see the KITH thread for details.

Josh, it's a sort of weird hybrid between a guitar and mandolin. More or less I wanted a guitar sized mandolin, which is essentially a mandola, but with the fretboard and string length of a guitar because the information is more readily available on how to play it (I have no idea how to play any stringed instruments...)

I park my snowblower and snow scoop in my shop for the winter :(

We've got over 170 inches this year, so far... with the snowbanks over my head.

I spend so much time moving the white stuff I don't get a chance to actually get out in the shop to make anything. Winter is ending up here in a few months and maybe by May the snow will have all melted :)

Almost burned it to the ground with a dust collection fire! (No worries . . . all good now. Some excitement is good for the circulation.)

Hey Dave, now I have an answer when people ask me why I don't have a dust collection system! I can always say that they are dangerous and tell them about this guy I knew who burned his shop down when it malfunctioned. (Never let the truth get in the way of a good story - Mark Twain)

I made my wife a welding table for her new TIG, then I forged out a big Bowie from 1095, finished forging two O-1 knives, and set the three of them to annealing while I gave a buddy of mine a welding lesson. Turns out he had to buy a MIG welder to do something on this contract he bid and won. I gave him some pointers on what to buy, so he shows up with a nice Lincoln line feed, flux cored wire and a brand new auto-darkening helmet. A few hours later and he had it down. I told him:

"There's two kinds of people in the world. Them that weld, and them that don't." I didn't mention anything about forge welding.........

I park my snowblower and snow scoop in my shop for the winter :(

We've got over 170 inches this year, so far... with the snowbanks over my head.

I spend so much time moving the white stuff I don't get a chance to actually get out in the shop to make anything. Winter is ending up here in a few months and maybe by May the snow will have all melted :)

Ahh....that's over 14 feet of snow.

Ouch!

Ouch.JPG

Actually, I did this yesterday......

Some day, many years from now, paleontologists will discover a subspecies of male humans that bear no signs of hair on their knuckles.

Perhaps the remnants of clinker and propane artifacts might give them a clue.

Well tonight I slotted this full tang for a guard and heat treated. She's cooking away in the oven at the moment. This is some of Robert's steel and should be VERY interesting once I get to grinding and etching. Although it looks like a lower layer count, it's not. ;)

IMAG0943.jpg

• Like 2

I finished forging a bowie for a commission and then forged out a tiny neck knife integral from some W1 drill rod. I also got to use the first hammer I have ever made today while forging and it was great. It was a good shop day.

I finished forging a bowie for a commission and then forged out a tiny neck knife integral from some W1 drill rod. I also got to use the first hammer I have ever made today while forging and it was great. It was a good shop day.

Got any pictures of that hammer? (forget the blades, let's see the hammer!)

I profiled, rough ground, and heat treated two O-1 blades I forged out last week. A small hunter, and what will become a boot knife.

Hunter & Boot_opt.jpg

• Like 1

Got any pictures of that hammer? (forget the blades, let's see the hammer!)

I do as a matter of fact! Here you go:

hammer.jpg

• Like 3

Nice looking hammer Wes.

I got my new Majestic forge last night and fired it up for the first time. Picked up some firebrick this morning to put down in the cart as a base.

IMG 5280

• Like 1

Nice looking hammer Wes.

Thanks Joshua. I love hammers have that short faces, and this one fits the bill nicely.

I got my new Majestic forge last night and fired it up for the first time. Picked up some firebrick this morning to put down in the cart as a base.

That looks great! I only have one suggestion: You might want to clear away the combustibles for at least a couple of feet...... :)

That looks great! I only have one suggestion: You might want to clear away the combustibles for at least a couple of feet...... :)

Heh. Yeah, that is part of the plan. I just had to fire it up though. Today I set down some firebrick in the cart the forge is on, and put a couple of bricks across the back opening. I think it will easily get to welding heat at around 15 psi. I've been waiting for my truck to get out of the shop so I can take a bunch of crap to the dump so I can clear out space for my smithing equipment. I also have to run 220v in the garage for my grinder. My bandsaw was delivered today, but that's staying in the crate until I can make more room.

-Jeff

P.S. speaking of my truck (RAM 1500 diesel), it's been at the dealer for over a month. The oil cooler failed and I ended up with sludge throughout the entire system. They have to replace almost the entire powertrain; motor, turbocharger, radiator, oil cooler, etc. I really love the truck (28 mpg!), but if you have one watch out. I know several people with the RAM 1500 diesel who have had this same problem. Check your coolant reservoir. If the fluid starts turning black you are in for some major repair work. Chrysler will say they only need to replace the oil cooler and radiator, but EVERYTHING that touches engine oil or the cooling system will need to be replaced.

Hey folks! Today was a productive day. Aside from procrastinating on cleaning my shop...I got the blade etched and polished and the guard attached, all the while thinking about a new thread idea. Anyone interested in a thread about your first knife and your best knife? Or just first knife? I think it would be fun and rather embarrassing to share our AWFUL first attempts. :lol:

Anyways, here's a little teaser. I'll be fitting her with brass and cocobolo.

IMAG0964.jpg

There was a thread a while back where everyone was showing off their first knives... it was pretty great :)

Thanks Wes. A quick Google search away and I found it. A cringe worthy but awesome thread ;) Although, some of them are amazing for first knives.

Edited by Austin_Lyles

didn´t forge anything but I sorted 50 lbs of newly made beechwood charcoal :) and made some improvements on the charcoal-iwasaki-style kiln im redesigning (this one holds about 2 cubicmetres of Wood) :)

I'm finally over a flu that kept me from doing any work the past two weeks. Yesterday I fired up the furnace, and cast a bronze lightsaber. (long story :) ). I still have to cast the "blade", but the erm... hilt is cast. At 2.1 kg, not exactly a light saber ;)

Edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk

wacked out a couple of random pattern billets on the alldays and hardned and tempered the trident.......and bought a power hammer.

Sunday I forged three hawk heads.

Jeroen, we have to see that lightsaber! And Owen, congrats! That makes what, five now? (Grins!)