What did you do in your shop today?

Bought four pairs of bent, loose tongs and as today we had some good weather, I fired up the forge and fixed them.(Almost) as good as new.

IMG_0829.JPG

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few weeks ago a kid (I say kid, college senior doing an honors thesis, probably 21 or so ) came to my local guild meeting to ask if anyone could help him with a sword. His honors thesis involves han

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

Posted Images

Not exactly in my workshop, but nearby: today I've been handling and measuring up a bronze sword that recently sold for over half a million euros: http://www.rmo.nl/actueel/nieuws/zwaard-van-ommerschans

It had been in a private collection since the end of the 19th century. I can't share any of the photos I took, but the link above does give a photo of the sword. It's not a real, functional one, but actually an enlarged dirk, that was never sharpened nor hilted. There are 6 of them found, spread over the UK, Netherlands and France. 5 were in an exhibit last year in the same museum plus a plaster cast of this one. Very interesting and strange artifacts.It looks absolutely perfect, until you start to study it up close. I found some clear makers irregularities that I liked, as it made it a bit more human then otherworldly. 

• Like 1

I really envy you for getting to handle the ommerschans sword Jeroen!

I have been in awe of these "dirks'' ever since I first saw one in the British Museum.

Seeing all six of them in the Rijksmuseum exhibition was one of the most impressive things I have seen in my life. In my opinion these are as close to magic and myth as historical artifacts get.

I am also glad it was eventually bought by the museum, so that everyone will be able to see it.

Well today I managed to weld a wrought iron edge onto a 5 bar seax.........instead of a steel one.......damn.  A couple of hours later I figured....seax - axe. and split the edge and welded a steel bit into it axe style. seem'd to work pretty well.

Very easy to get set in ones ways and aproach things with a fixed idea.

oh and I did my first multi bar weld without flux, worked very well.

I really enjoyed forging today, my favorite power hammer is fixed, the sun is out and I have a pile of seax blades welded and forged. I guess this is my version of "Me" time!

3 hours ago, owen bush said:

my favorite power hammer is fixed

Which one is that? Weather is looking good this weekend. Hoping to get the forge out, handle the seax and possibly do some work on that hardenable mystery steel I uplifted from your skip ;)

Over the last week I completely cleaned and organized my shop and have managed to keep it perfectly clean since then and I've forged several blades and ground and heat treated two.
One made from hearth material I made on the eclipse.

11 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Which one is that? Weather is looking good this weekend. Hoping to get the forge out, handle the seax and possibly do some work on that hardenable mystery steel I uplifted from your skip ;)

wow skip steal steel could be anything, I am much more throwey out than I used to be...wastfull but keeps things simple. The fixed hammer is my Sahinler at the front of the school, ram is back in and its working again after a rehaul, its not sexy but is soooo nice to use. I'll get the 1KWT alldays and onions going in october and we will see which is best then!

On 26/08/2017 at 9:47 AM, owen bush said:

skip steal steel could be anything

It will harden but sparks odd. Not that much branching but the trials are quite orange.

Anyway, today I started forging two blades from this as the weather was fine. Battling to set the tang evenly as my anvil's shoulders are quite round and I keep getting anvil-creep rounding the shoulders. I decided to make a tool. I only had a small bit of 16mm mild steel, rod and some odds and ends. The hardie-hole bit was made from 2 pieces of 10x25mm bar welded together, the table from 3 pieces of the same welded edge-on. The uprights are lawnmower blade and some old washers were welded around the otside of the top rod assembly. Weather permitting I will try it next weekend.

IMG_0854.JPG

I do seem to get a lot of splatter when mig-welding. Is this normal?

Also started making a file-guide.

On ‎24‎-‎8‎-‎2017 at 8:26 PM, pieter-pauld said:

I really envy you for getting to handle the ommerschans sword Jeroen!

I have been in awe of these "dirks'' ever since I first saw one in the British Museum.

Seeing all six of them in the Rijksmuseum exhibition was one of the most impressive things I have seen in my life. In my opinion these are as close to magic and myth as historical artifacts get.

I am also glad it was eventually bought by the museum, so that everyone will be able to see it.

Yup, I read it's not been accessible to any dutch archeologist since 1927, and only studied by a german archeologist in 1959. It's fantastic to finally have that opportunity to study it up close.

This weekend I'd already started practicing with the normal size version (35cm), a Kimberley type dirk, which came out great. The Ommerschans dirk will be about ten times as heavy and over twice as long, wide and thick :)

21175357_1476353649110635_1555847901_n.jpg

• Like 1

Well I was able to both purchase and clean up this wonderful mousehole. Also made some S hooks and my wife has a collection of little Game of Thrones figures on her desk at work and asked if I could make her a warhammer to go with them. This is the end result.

20170902_103928.jpg

20170902_151601.jpg

Edited by ScottWright

Bought some steel for shop stock, and made a couple of wall brackets to put the steel up and out of the way. Started clearing off the top of the fab table....stuff accumulates!

13 hours ago, Jeroen Zuiderwijk said:

New casting flask, one of my largest ones so far. That's an A5 (=5kg capacity) crucible sitting next to it, which will be used to cast in this one. 

IMG_20170906_203409.jpg

Man, that's very innovative! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I picked up a Maxi-grinder made by Downland Engineering Services. They are made to order. I spent all Sunday on it and what a pleasure. Ordered some more belts today.

IMG_0906.JPG

Looks solid!  Of course, the first thing I'd do is take off all the guards since I use almost every part of the belt and I have a small contact wheel as the top roller on the platen.  But that's just me.  B)

Very nice and solid, thank you Alan. I am planning on taking off the front guard to get to the slack belt there. I am going to have to ask Alistair for small contact wheel for the top. He does do other arms for it as well.

I recently spent a couple of weeks in Maine at the New England School of Metalwork taking the ABS Intro to Bladesmithing class. It was an incredible experience. I think I learned more in two weeks there than I have in the last two years. The instructor was Mastersmith Brion Tomberlin along with Journeyman smith Nick Rossi, two absolutely fine gentlemen with a wealth of knowledge and the ability to teach what they know. As part of the class we forged a blade to pass the ABS Journeyman performance test (and I'm happy to say my blade passed with flying colors).

Here are some of the blades I forged during class:

large.fullsizeoutput_c0d.jpeg

I've been in need of a hot-cut hardy tool for awhile, so I finally got around to making one today. Forged out of 1 1/4" 4140 rod.

large.IMG_1235.JPG

• Like 1

Nice hardie tool Jeff. What steel did you use for the JS test blade? I assume they had you use 5160.

On 10/1/2017 at 10:06 AM, Joshua States said:

Nice hardie tool Jeff. What steel did you use for the JS test blade? I assume they had you use 5160.

We used 1084 actually. 

I repaired 2 grinders and am waiting for some long belts ( 132") to finish a third 3" wide belt grinder. Two of these are punch presses where the flywheels are now the hard contact wheels. I have a large stone grinder in my truck which will be converted to a finish grinder where the grinding is done with a hard crust buffing wheel as seen in Murray Carter's book or maybe one of the Japanese videos. I am drying some washed ore for this years iron runs. I'll post some pics later.

Jan