Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

It has been tough finding time to hit the forge but I found this evening, not finish but rough forged to shape it will be annealing overnight 52100 pare/paring knife. The wife has been on me but it is 10pm and it is time to head to the day job.

20171004_214646.jpg

Ground the bevels on this. I can't see ever making another of these tracker knives, took every trick I had to keep the bevels square and true lol. 

20171009_135137.jpg

Well, it wasn't today, but yesterday I destroyed 4 perfectly good pieces of burl wood trying to make a frame handle (actually I tried to make two of them) for a Damascus kitchen knife. Sometimes I think the knife has a mind of its own and when it doesn't like the handle you have chosen, it reaches out and jacks things up. Why can't it just learn to speak English and tell me what it wants? 

• Like 1

I converted a 4" diameter 4 grooves v belt pulley to a flat belt pulley by mixing some glass fibers and epoxy ..then forming a smooth shape. Now I need to true it in the lathe and test it. That item will fit on a motor and directly drive a large contact wheel grinder ( 3" by 132" belts).

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

I welded the mount on my Tire hammer ram, now a total of 240 pound ram ^^ next stop - welding the frame and bearing plates

Well, it wasn't today, but this last weekend I made some cutting boards that double as display stands for my kitchen knives.

Cutting boards (1).JPG

Cutting boards (2).JPG

Cutting boards (3).JPG

Cutting boards (4).JPG

• Like 1

Puttered around the house doing minor things like upgrading electrical outlets, cleaning and same as for the last two months more research on starting something I've dreamed of since the late 80's...... setting up a forge and becoming a part time bladesmith

P.s. yes the warden/accountant is slowly coming around to the idea... probably to stop my constant forum lurking and new responses to her arguments against it

7 hours ago, Phillip Larson said:

P.s. yes the warden/accountant is slowly coming around to the idea... probably to stop my constant forum lurking and new responses to her arguments against it

Have you tried the pay-off method? That's where you go to an Open Forge event or Hammer-In and make her something or make something for the house that she thinks is needed.

That way you can say "look at the cool stuff I could be making, if I only had a forge"

38 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Have you tried the pay-off method? That's where you go to an Open Forge event or Hammer-In and make her something or make something for the house that she thinks is needed.

That way you can say "look at the cool stuff I could be making, if I only had a forge"

About one wife ago I came up with a strategy. If she had a hobby or interest of her own I would get super involved in it to the point of her thinking I was obsessed. I knew I'd won when I heard, " We need to get you a hobby of your own."

both good ideas, havent been able to get to any events where that would be possible as of yet. her arguments are mostly space as id end up converting the carport (not even the garage the carport) and financial.... kind of hard to argue with as she really is an accountant

I finished up a ghetto tool chest today. Also managed to drill myself in the finger :-)

IMG_20171108_181132.jpg

• Like 1

That is nice Niels. Why do you call it "Ghetto"? 

JJ: If you keep this up, you are going to need a website just for your tool line!

Joshua, it looks nice from afar but I really just slapped it together. Pocket hole joinery for the win :-)

Bummer about the drilled finger, Niels!  I knew a guy to do that a couple years ago myself.  He was drilling a 5/64" hole in a piece of 3/4" pipe intended to be a bushing on a power hammer.  Working tired, etc., end result was he had his finger IN the pipe he was drilling to hold it steady.  :ph34r:  I'll let you imagine the result, but he still has the finger and full use of it.  And no, it wasn't me!   

Not too long ago I put my sewing machine needle through my index finger. Right through the fingernail actually.

Edited by Joshua States

Just got my burl for my last blade. The paper handle cut out is 5" and the wood came 5  3/8" I think I am gonna stretch the center and use the whole thing.

burl.jpg

coffin.jpg

• Like 1

My rule of thumb on handle length: 4-1/4 to 4-1/2 inches  from the spot the index finger rests against to the point behind the pinky. It looks to me like you should stretch that handle out a half-inch and be just about right.

Nice piece of burl. What is it and where did you get it?

Gerald Boggs got me thinking (always dangerous) about things with his topic one thread over. So I decided to do a trial run of something simple and time myself doing it. I haven't forged a steel leaf in years, but I used to make them all the time for hooks, key rings, towel bar ends, you name it and I've stuck a leaf on the end of it. 5 key rings in an hour and 15 minutes.

Materials cost: Negligible, it was basically scrap, but there's most likely about $1 in steel, and 25 cents in key rings (even though I've had the key rings for about 30 years) I probably spent more on the propane running the forge for an hour than I have in materials.

Anyway, I did the math. If I can sell these for $10 each, that grosses $40/hour for my time. We will see if these sell as table items at the art show next week.

Leaf Key rings.JPG

Edited by Joshua States

Set of offset tongs for a customer.
Doing the R&D.
These I'll be keeping but proof of process is nice.

offset2.jpg

offset tong.jpg

Made this birch bark sheath today. large.541E470B-41D2-4C21-B672-90989AC66B2E.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello all, no blade work today but I did forge out some s hooks/ j hooks and also made a hand fuller. It is forged from 3/4" S7. Still need to cut the excess off to shorten it down. It is the first tool I have forged myself so I'm happy with it.

20171112_154653.jpg

Working on a project growing gourmet mushrooms and the website is in the works for both the mushrooms and forged work.

Not in my shop, but in a friend's shop, started on what will be a mosaic damascus billet.  Started with 44 layers of 1080 and 15N20.  It is a massive billet.  My body is smoked.