What did you do in your shop today?

Joshua States

12 hours ago, Joshua States said:

This is the state of my shop as of yesterday. 

I assume there's a full container outside awaiting haulage to New Mexico once they get that mess on I-40 cleared up?

I tried something new with this pair.https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/32964-what-did-you-do-in-your-shop-today/page/210/#comment-435037  I usually use an 8" diameter wheel for the hollow grind. For this one I used a 1.25" wheel to get a deep hollow. It got pretty thin.

20240428_193721~2.jpg

20240429_083832~2.jpg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I assume there's a full container outside awaiting haulage to New Mexico once they get that mess on I-40 cleared up?

Not exactly.  Most of it is in boxes waiting for the movers. The large equipment is sitting on the driveway apron waiting as well. They won't move any gasses, chemicals, or liquids, so that stuff is in boxes, buckets, and just waiting for us to move it.

@Eric Estlund it's both good and bad. Good that we are finally getting ready to move, and bad because I won't have the new shop set up until around October.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

On 4/26/2024 at 2:33 PM, Doug Moeller said:

German- style chef...

Heat and quench..

Straighten warp..well..not so much..ouch.  

20240425_150630.jpg

20240426_122337.jpg

20240426_123845.jpg

How did you try to straighten the warp? Right after quench? I have some carbide tipped hammers that work fantastic for straightening hardened blades after tempering. For example, this is how bent one of my recent blades was going into the quench (I didn't catch it). After very little peening it's straight as an arrow. 

Screenshot_20240502-115204.png

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

I'm always nervous to try hammering it after quench, but a lot of folks seem to be successful this way.  My normal method if the warp isn't too bad is to just clamp it between some aluminum angle during temper, but in this case my warp was about as bad as the one in your picture.  I was doing a couple blades and didn't see the warp immediately, then tried to straighten it by hand with my fire gloves and I believe it had cooled too much at that point.  I was using 3/32 stock and for a chefs knife length knife, this may have contributed to the warp.  I remade it from 1/8" stock and had no warp at all.  

20240502_134501.jpg

• Like 2

Forged a couple of sgian dubh blades yesterday, and got them finish ground and sharpened today. Old wrought iron over an antique file core:

wrought sgian 8.jpg

wrought sgian 9.jpg

• Like 6

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

(sigh)

It's going to be a rough couple of months.......

Shop move.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

On 5/8/2024 at 11:34 PM, Joshua States said:

(sigh)

It's going to be a rough couple of months.......

Been there, done that 5 times. You have my sympathy.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 8:29 AM, Doug Moeller said:

I'm always nervous to try hammering it after quench, but a lot of folks seem to be successful this way.  

It's definitely something to do after tempering. I've fought with blades the way you said, clamping it while tempering and the hammering is easier and much more controllable.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

18 hours ago, Bob Ouellette said:

the hammering is easier and much more controllable.

Does anyone do this with damascus blades?

If so, when do you do this?

I'm thinking quench and temper, sand and etch/finish the blade (with the warp), then pein to straighten?

Thanks 

RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, billyO said:

Does anyone do this with damascus blades?

If so, when do you do this?

I'm thinking quench and temper, sand and etch/finish the blade (with the warp), then pein to straighten?

Thanks 

I don't know anyone that's done it with Damascus, but I straighten after tempering. It will leave tiny dimples in the surface that get sanded away. Someone said you can hand sand them out, but personally, I do as much as I can by machine because I'm lazy.

Edit: here's a picture of my hammer. It's tipped with a piece of carbide soldered in place.

PhotoPictureResizer_1715723164871_copy_768x1020.jpg

Edited by Bob Ouellette
  • Like 1

Bob O

My Website

Posted (edited)

Yesterday I heat treated this father and son knife set made from railroad track. Had a few minutes to grind on one of them today. I normally wouldn't use an mystery steel. It got hard. They are from a sliver of a log holder the Grandfather (who worked for the railroad) made.

20240519_145608.jpg

20240519_152240.jpg

20240519_152302.jpg

20240519_152556.jpg

20240518_164526.jpg

Edited by Gilbert McCann
Words
  • Like 3

Finished carving the handles for the sgian blades I forged 2 weeks ago...

wrought sgian 31.jpg

wrought sgian 32.jpg

• Like 6

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

I finished another friction folder today. It's 1084 with a mild steel handle and a W1 screw that I made myself. 

PXL_20240520_151245075_copy_768x1020.jpg

• Like 4

Bob O

My Website

1 hour ago, Gilbert McCann said:

Some progress on one of the father and son knives

I see you chose the hard way to do things...  Much respect, most people doing full integrals leave that bolster curved in front. Very rarely do you see anyone sculpting it to look like an added guard.  I approve of that much filework. B)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

I see you chose the hard way to do things...  Much respect, most people doing full integrals leave that bolster curved in front. Very rarely do you see anyone sculpting it to look like an added guard.  I approve of that much filework. B)

Thank you @Alan Longmire I appreciate the acknowledgement. First one of this style, since I mostly do kitchen stuff. It's the style I like.  So I had do it. 

Edited by Gilbert McCann
Words
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Finishing up a custom build for a chef in Chicago when I go back to visit the family next week.  Another experiment in my "stormy waters" series.  This time I used powdered steel instead of a san-mai approach for the spine to try to mimic a cloudy sky.  I'm kinda linking it...Now I need to find an appropriate handle block. 

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by billyO
  • Like 4
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO