What did you do in your shop today?

Sunday I forged three hawk heads.

Jeroen, we have to see that lightsaber!

There it is, as cast:

IMG_20160228_180933.jpg

Edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk
  • Like 5

Sunday I forged three hawk heads.

Jeroen, we have to see that lightsaber! And Owen, congrats! That makes what, five now? (Grins!)

hi Alan...yeh somthing like 5 .....sure I'll stick with that as an acceptable number.

There it is, as cast: attachicon.gifIMG_20160228_180933.jpg

that is awsome!!

There it is, as cast:

attachicon.gifIMG_20160228_180933.jpg

Yep. That is awesome all right. That gets a like.

Well, I finally made some fullering dies for the hydraulic press.

Fuller dies.JPG

Maybe I'll get around to forging something that needs a fuller and see if they work.........

I cast the "blade" of the bronze lightsaber today. The edges on this won't be workhardened, because it doesn't have any :) Quite a bit of filing and polishing left to do, but it's already looking quite nice. Total weight: 3.4 kg.

Img_1799a.jpg

Edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk

That's beyond cool, Jeroen. May I ask why? =P It's so random yet, freakin awesome.

Today I finished a knife up, and while procrastinating on making a sheath for it, I forged a ring. I've only made one before a LONG time ago from some mokume. Always pretty fun. Working with steel is way more difficult than copper/nickel. To me at least, I think the "fuller" down the middle gives it a roman like feel, however un-historically accurate I am. :D

IMAG0980.jpg

IMAG0981.jpg

An interesting thing to forge... especially on a makeshift stake.... I mean mandrel. ;)

• Like 2

That's beyond cool, Jeroen. May I ask why? =P It's so random yet, freakin awesome.

It's a gift for the inauguration of the dutch professor on bronze age archeology, who also happens to be a big Star Wars fan :)

Ok, that ring pattern is also freaking brilliant Austin. I'm trying to wrap my head around how you did that :wacko:

Edited by Brian Dougherty

It's a gift for the inauguration of the dutch professor on bronze age archeology, who also happens to be a big Star Wars fan :)

Perfect! B)

I turned and flame finished some rippled ash and forge welded collars and had a bit of a "how big is this really" assemble on the SEAL Trident.......should be together tomorow or wed.....

Awesome! Everything about that is perfect.

Thanks Bryan! The steel was from Devin thomas.

Edited by Austin_Lyles

i spent a couple hours cutting all these out of a sheet of 1075, i used my harbor freight portable bandsaw (which is mounted to a table), its a really nice tool to have, saves more material and is faster than any grinder. right now im about to bevel a navaja knife blade and maybe harden a fixed blade pocket knife for the third time, i keep missing about 1/2" by the choil but it had a nice hardening line.

also mangled my toe using my foot powered potters wheel, i missed the wheel and stuck my big toe right into the ground, aghhh. its not as bad as kicking the frame though!

12512284_10207468198455758_4287382397861

Started my second attempt at a karambit.

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=33083. The latest post shows the second attempt. I'm open to suggestions on how the recycle the first one.

And taught my 5-year old how to do a spark test to see how much carbon is in the steel. And some safety on using a grinder. He really likes wearing a hardhat with the visor down. :)

Edited by Buck Hedges

Today, I completed a few more forge-welding operations for another spear. Almost ready for the final two forge-welding passes:

today.jpg

• Like 2

I gave a quick lesson to a woman I know on grinding technique with the 2x72. She had made this full tang, stock removal blade from 1095 for a self-defense/prepper/survivalist group she belongs to. She had done the bevels with a file and almost zero instruction. As a result, she wound up with a very small bevel on an otherwise flat piece of steel. She lengthened the bevels and I cleaned them up somewhat on the disc. Then I gave her a micarta sanding block and some tips on hand sanding. I think she's hooked!

• Like 1

Well, I haven't been in the shop much, but yesterday I spent about 3 hours in the evening and in that time my brother (power-hammer) and I made a 5-ish pound forging hammer, our very first attempt at making one. It's not pretty, and I need to clean up the eye a bit, but hopefully it will work! We also forged out a railroad clip and rough forged (minus bevels) an "elvish subhilt" kind of fighter for him to work on and tested a peice of the clip for hardness and it hardened quite beautifully in water at 5/16x1.25" So maybe I can attempt to water quench the blade for a nice hamon. And I finished up a few minor forging things in my KITH knife before calling it a knife.

I was going to show my process for forging out the hammer, but I couldn't find a camera aside from my DSLR, and the lighting in my shop is less than it should be... But I took a big piece of axle or a crankshaft off some farm implement we found in a farmers field and took about 9" of it and upset it down to about 7" before adding the eye (which needs some work....)

I finally mounted my post vise, which has been laying on the floor useless for the better part of two years now. I still need to weld a retaining ring for the leg but that is a small thing. The tube is filled with cement, and then the whole thing is bolted to the floor with concrete anchors.

IMG_0588.JPG

• Like 2

I finally mounted my post vise, which has been laying on the floor useless for the better part of two years now. I still need to weld a retaining ring for the leg but that is a small thing. The tube is filled with cement, and then the whole thing is bolted to the floor with concrete anchors.

I have to make one of those for my vise. What thickness did you use for the top and bottom plates and the tube?

I have to make one of those for my vise. What thickness did you use for the top and bottom plates and the tube?

It's all 1/4 inch plate, and the tube is like 3/16 I beleive, which is a little on the thin side, but it has 4 three inch concrete anchors so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon

Edited by Wes Detrick

Processed 120lb of pattern weld and found a nifty collection of issues with my rolling mill. Seems like I'm out growing a number of pieces of equipment as of late.

I was gonna post a jaw dropping 5 knife orders and a production day of Rough forging a 15 " OA length kukri a 4.5" hunter and heat treating 4 kitchen knives..... THEN MICHAEL destroys me morale with 120 lbs of pw. :S

Edited by Gabriel James

Wes, you are going to love having that post vice. I can't believe you had it for two years before setting it up! I also hope you like where you put it, because no, you aint moving it any time soon. I made mine mobile (sort of) it takes a bit of dragging to move it, but it can be moved.

Post vice.JPG

I helped finish up the two forges I built yesterday for the craft center, ran the salt pot and heat treated 8 blades, drew out ground and did a light etch a 3/16 /6/8 80 layer billet, ground two knives got two chefs knives ready for assemble.

busy day...

allmost to size.jpg

randokm80layer.jpg