Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Way to go Matthew! Nice raindrop (?) pattern too. That is a seriously busy day.

Hey Wes, there's another mobile post vice...........sorry, I don't mean any disrespect.

Wes, you are going to love having that post vice. I can't believe you had it for two years before setting it up! I also hope you like where you put it, because no, you aint moving it any time soon. I made mine mobile (sort of) it takes a bit of dragging to move it, but it can be moved.

attachicon.gifPost vice.JPG

I have two post vices, one I've had for many years that still need setting up :) I want to make it mobile, and with a wooden base that also doesn't take up too much space. Well, one of them. The other will be mounted to my workbench. Which I also still have to finish. Right now it's a bare steel frame with a desk stacked on top. Op top of that I have projects which I started up to 8 year ago waiting to finish. Just so many other things that take my attention in the mean time. Fortunately I finished the bronze lightsaber, which is out of the door. Done in two and a half weeks, which is a record for such a big project. Then it's back to what I was doing before the lightsaber and getting the flue before that. Another month that other jobs have been on hold. And soon I should resume work on painting my house, or giving parts another coat which I did years ago. That's the disadvantage of doing these things in my free time :) I can't believe I spend practically a full workweek on metalwork next to regular work and other activities years ago. But then I didn't sleep much, and didn't have a girlfriend, so times were different.

plate was just random pattern... for some reason I cant explain it looks very much like a raindrop pattern... must have been the drawing dies trying to get the width and then to thickness

I wish I was as cool as you guys. Is everyone doing huge hunks of PW now?!

Me I just cleaned a little. My wife is going to buy me a backyard barn to set up shop in soon. No more sharing the very small garage. Now I just have to go buy the stuff to run power out there. I'm excited.

Way to go Matthew! Nice raindrop (?) pattern too. That is a seriously busy day.

Hey Wes, there's another mobile post vice...........sorry, I don't mean any disrespect.

Haha, none taken :) Nope, I moved it around a bunch to find where I thought I would get the most use from it. My forge, anvil and now vise all form a triangle. If I need to vise it up, then I just turn around and its there. I used to have it mounted in my old shop, just never got around to mounting it when we bought a house.

I finally built a proper quench tank. I more that a little ashamed to admit I have been using a piece of PVC pipe for a couple of years now. Worse yet, it didn't have a stand. Whenever I needed to quench a blade, I used bungee cords to tie it to my anvil. I'm really rather fortunate I didn't burn my shop down.

Anyway here is a new tank made from a piece of 4" schedule 40 pipe. I'm not much of a welder so I had to go back and fix a pin-hole leak after testing it with water. Now I even have a cap in case the oil catches on fire :)

IMG_20160319_134041036_zpstx8aywgo.jpg

IMG_20160319_135740671_zps68ofevsb.jpg

That's a pretty serious quench tank Brian!

Today I was going to work on part 2 of my WIP video series, but my wife took over the shop and was a forging maniac! She has the power hammer and the press going and with all that racket, the only thing left to do was finish up the pins in my KITH knife (Final pics in KITH 2016) and start the finish sanding on two other knives I'm working on. Then I blew the plunge cuts on one and accidentally gouged a bit out of the ricasso in the second one. Two more pieces of scrap O-1 for the bucket. By then Liz was done in the forge are, so I forged out another two knives.

Looks like you have a quench tank shaped rocket to me. Fins 120 deg apart? Check! Now time to make the nose cone...

He made the nose cone a bit flat.........

• Like 1

a whole lot of grinding, until my grinder said "staahhhp go take a break!" This is why I'm converting to direct drive and also upping from 2hp to 3hp. I leaned into the belt enough times stalling or slowing down the grinding belt that the drive belt slipped enough to generate enough heat in the pulley that I was smelling burning rubber. Thankfully it was just the pulley that was over heating, not bearings or anything

Hey Gerald, those bracelets are pretty cool. Do you make them out of other metals too?

Finally got the garage wired for 240v today. I installed a switch on my KMG and got it fired up. It weell grind!

simon.jpg this is my apprentices work, Si is 13 and has only been smithing for about a year, we did this knife in about a day , I did do the grinding and I roughed out the handle, but he did all other work. this Kid is going to be amazing..

as SI was forgeing his blade I got this guy hand sanded to 220,harpoonpoint.jpg

the rest of my week has been working on these two, a Scottish Dirk for a customer in 1084 and a 5 bar twist Damascus hunter with , the hunter will raffled off for the Adirondack folk school at the Americade rally in lake George. dirk-raffle.jpg

• Like 1

I am loving that Dirk Matthew. Please post some pictures of it when it's completed.

Not that I don't like the hunter too, but that Dirk is not something you see every day.

My bucket list is getting longer the more I hang out on this bloody forum......

• Like 1

I am loving that Dirk Matthew. Please post some pictures of it when it's completed.

Not that I don't like the hunter too, but that Dirk is not something you see every day.

My bucket list is getting longer the more I hang out on this bloody forum......

Agreed, that dirk is looking great. I am looking forward to seeing more of it.

I sanded a knife from 400 grit to 1500 grit. 2000 grit will be tomorrow. All in prep for an etch to bring out the hamon.

getting closer....even if it doesn't feel like it

closer2.jpg

• Like 1

Working on my pattern welded viking sword. bevels at 120 grit, fuller still down at 60. slower than I want but I dont want to screw up at this point, the blade itself is all but done.

120grit.jpg

Nice blade Justin, I'm envious.

I didn't get a contact wheel when I bought my grinder, and am too cheap to buy a good one. I bought a 10" Griz. one and bored it out to accept a set of bearings. It runs pretty good, but not that it is done I have found 2 on flea-bay that would have been about what this one cost me to do. Live and learn. Here it is running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x86t43yOvFg

I had a rough forged boot knife blank from several months ago that I had lost interest in, so I used it as a practice piece. Grinding on a contact wheel is sure different than using the platen. I was starting to get it towards the end, but the ridge line is so wonky I should have turned this into a Kris dagger :)

Since I had a brand new quench tank, and a couple of gallons of 11 sec oil, I was itching to quench something. I didn't know the McMaster 11 sec. oil would flame up so much. Yikes! I have been using canola, and never got any flame.

Here is my wonky dagger after tempering and working up to 220 on the grinder. This one may be destined for break testing...

IMG_20160326_213836171_TOP_zpscgom4rmt.j

Nice blade Justin, I am envious :)

I had an interesting day. I didn't get a contact wheel when I bought my grinder, and have been wanting to try one out. Since I am too cheap to spend $300 + on a good one, I bought the 10" Griz. drive wheel and bored it out to accept a set of bearings. I'm only into this for about $130, but have since discovered 2 wheels on flea-bay for the same money. Oh well, live and learn...

Here it is running with a washer standing on edge. (I didn't have a nickle to do the usual machine tool vibration test)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x86t43yOvFg

I had to try my new wheel out on something, and had a boot knife blank that I rough forged out of 1084 several months ago, but lost interest in. Boy! Grinding on a contact wheel is very different than a platen. Towards the end I started to figure it out, but my central ridge was so wonky I may as well have made a Kris dagger.

Now, I also have this brand new quench tank, and a couple of gallons of 11 second quench oil to put in it. Having never used a "Proper" quench oil before, I ran right out to the shed and fired up the forge. I have never quenched in anything other than brine or canola, so I was a bit surprised when a geyser of flames shot out of my quench tank! Canola never did that :blink:

Anyway, here is my wonky blade after tempering and cleaning up a bit with 220 on the grinder. I think this one may be destined for a breakage test. I was starting to figure out how to control the location of the ridge, but there isn't much left of the blade. The edges are already paper thin.

IMG_20160326_213836171_TOP_zpscgom4rmt.j

Take your time Justin, be patient. It's looking good so far. I've screwed too many things up by trying to rush stuff.

Brian: You could straighten those ridge lines out pretty quickly on a disc grinder. It just has to be reversible.

I rough ground and hardened three blades.

3 blades (4).JPG

The big one is the 1095 Bowie for the WIP video series. It looks like it might have adecnet Hamon to it.

The other two are O-1. Tempering the big one now and will start editing the video while they all get finished with HT.

getting closer....even if it doesn't feel like it

You're killing me Matthew........... :)

I was going to say, that bowie looks like she may be hiding a hamon. :P I wonder how active it will be.

I am hoping it will be very active.

Well actually, I'm just hoping it came out OK. If it's active in any way shape or form, that's a bonus. ;)