What did you do in your shop today?

37 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I was considering investing in one of the Centaur Coal Forges.  Just a wish at this point lol.

This is a lot cheaper than centaur forge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Welded-Blacksmithing-Firepot-10x12-inch-For-Blacksmith-Coal-Forge-/173210394063

Fiery furnace forge is the same place I've been getting my tongs. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Yesterday, and not my shop.

Finally got my bench cleared off and back on some knives. This one was fun, but glad to see it done.   My oldest grandson turned six this weekend and I promised to make him a box for his tre

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I was considering investing in one of the Centaur Coal Forges.  Just a wish at this point lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Welded-Blacksmithing-Firepot-10x12-inch-For-Blacksmith-Coal-Forge-/173210394063

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

That is a good idea too.  I just got done finishing up placing the refractory in got it to a bowl shape as much as I could.  Hurry up and wait now for it to dry lol.  My only issue is my construction skills somewhat lack with building tables.  Not to mention not having a the greatest luck with cutting tools.  But if management lets me build a small outdoor shop behind my trailer so I can have at least a 6 foot high roof a table top forge is definitely going to be the way go for me.  But the actual proper coal forge fire pot at the moment is a long term dream for me.  The break drum forges for now are working out fortunately and I'm learning the basics with them.   But yea the actual type of fire pot is more of a wish want item at this point.  I just book marked it I may buy the pot in a month or so.

Edited by AndyB

Lmao I wish I knew how big these things really were got my butcher block brush lol the remote is on it for size comparison as well as a tape.  Opps didn’t realize how big these things are lmfao....:lol::lol:

BC588DE7-3B7C-49C2-B88A-33294EE2FDE5.jpeg

@AndyB Build a duck nest inside that brake drum out of the cat litter clay, or the refractory, or mix them together and pack it in there. Make a smaller fire pot. Control the heat. Avoid the problem. Right now you have a large burn area and you are wasting fuel and losing heat. 

1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

@AndyB Build a duck nest inside that brake drum out of the cat litter clay, or the refractory, or mix them together and pack it in there. Make a smaller fire pot. Control the heat. Avoid the problem. Right now you have a large burn area and you are wasting fuel and losing heat. 

Duck nest is made lol.  Just gotta hurry up and wait for it to dry.  I’ll agree with you on that there was far too much room in the forge pot.  But by the end of the month I shouldn’t have to worry about that at all.  (Muttley Insert) lol. Not to mention I didn’t realize I had to have a lining in the pot to begin with if it was cast iron.  So I messed up with the first one.  But it was a good lesson to learn lol.  I won’t be doing that again.

Edited by AndyB
9 minutes ago, Cody Killgore said:

You don't have to line a cast iron fire pot. :)

I mainly did it to protect the welds lol.i think what was happening is the fire was getting so hot that the welds may have been becoming fluid.  So the pipe started to lean terribly.  This started happening over several times of having the forging burning.  So better safe than sorry I replaced that drum with a new one and lined it with the refractory.  

Yeah, I would definitely line a break drum pot like has been recommended. Better to have a nice taper from top to bottom and build that fire up nice and high. Been a while since I used the coal forge. Have only used it a few times since swapping to gas.

I need to make a new forge table with wheels and re-mount my firepot so I could have a portable coal forge for odd shaped things.

Just now, Cody Killgore said:

Yeah, I would definitely line a break drum pot like has been recommended. Better to have a nice taper from top to bottom and build that fire up nice and high. Been a while since I used the coal forge. Have only used it a few times since swapping to gas.

I need to make a new forge table with wheels and re-mount my firepot so I could have a portable coal forge for odd shaped things.

That’s what I did I’m just waiting for it to hurry up and dry lol tomorrow I’ve gotta finish up moving things around in my shed and start prepping the area where I’m going to build a work bench.

Been working every hour I can spare.......except last night, had a fine Indian dinner with great friends.

That's the good..............the BAD, VERY BAD is for the first time ever I'll need to re-do a handle....for the 3rd time. :angry:

Assumption got me, figure the scales moved as I clamped them in the vice, turns out the brass guard is off by the tiniest bit, so the handle ends up kicked off to the side when flush against the guard.

I've never made a knife against a deadline, and I don't think I like it....... 

7 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Been working every hour I can spare.......except last night, had a fine Indian dinner with great friends.

That's the good..............the BAD, VERY BAD is for the first time ever I'll need to re-do a handle....for the 3rd time. :angry:

Assumption got me, figure the scales moved as I clamped them in the vice, turns out the brass guard is off by the tiniest bit, so the handle ends up kicked off to the side when flush against the guard.

I've never made a knife against a deadline, and I don't think I like it....... 

Working under a clock always seems to be a pain no matter what it is.  If you set yourself up to where you don't have to think about  a deadline I'm sure you'd do okay..  Maybe it was just the stress of overthinking your time budget for the build.

10 hours ago, AndyB said:

I did weld supports in for the fire pot to set up on.  So far it's holding  up to the weight quite well.  I'm curious is to how well it will hold up to the heat.

I was just thinking......that whole cart should get nice & hot........

14 hours ago, Gerhard said:

.that whole cart should get nice & hot

Only planning on doing a small fire either tonight or tomorrow Saturday at the latest.  Just to see if it holds to the heat.  I only found one short video of a guy using one of these carts but it was the larger 24 by 36 inch HF cart but the guy was using a frying pan as a fire pot.   If the cart fails to hold up to the heat well then I'm SOL for the time being until I can get a proper table to built up.  I'm also going to be placing in a call to see about some plate steel to have cut to 18 inchs square for a top just in case this hole thing fails.  It probably will because I'm a bad crafter lol.  So better safe to have a back up plan.  Change 150 Im' going to have to hold off until I get some plate steel the cart is too danged flimsey well it was a good idea but yea not going to happen I want to be safe.  This was a bad idea.

So I'm nixing the Shop Cart.  I have a call into the local welding shop, hard to get mild steel around this town except from the welding shops AGGHHH such a pain.  How ever.  I'm going to have them cut an 18 inch square bit of 1/4 inch mild steel for a table top with a hole cut in the middle 10.5 inch by 12.25 inch rectangular for a table top.  I've got a clever little idea for the mount for the blower fan and mounting that underneath.  I'm only asking them to cut the top out for me its going to cost an arm and a leg because I sadly have to pay a shop fee to have a simple task done.  So hurry up and wait until Monday.  So frustrating when I want to use my new fire pot.  But do I want to do a half blanked job or have it done properly.  So better safe than sorry.  I will be welding up the legs and I've already got the flat bar for the sides.  So the forge table will be small but that's going to be a heck of a lot safer than using a shop cart.  In the end at least I'll have a decent proper forge table.  Hopefully the 1/4 inch will be thick enough.  Only reason the top is going to cost me an arm and a leg is because I have to have the weld shop cut the hole for me.

Edited by AndyB

Liz decided we should split the days at the art show, so I got a day in the forge all by myself!

Here are today's forgings next to the templates I use for the design. The small one is 1095, the Bowie is O-1.

B&T & Bowie V2.jpg

• Like 1

Very close to nothing....

It's very hot, hasn't been below 20C for more than a week, and I'm first month into hard, physical work at an engineering shop 2-5pm.

I need to learn leatherwork and finish quite a few sheaths so I can try to sell the knives, but I've undertaken to sort out my shop and properly mount my machines before starting any more knives.

Between the heat and these two chores I've completely and utterly lost motivation..... :wacko: 

2 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Very close to nothing....

It's very hot, hasn't been below 20C for more than a week, and I'm first month into hard, physical work at an engineering shop 2-5pm.

I need to learn leatherwork and finish quite a few sheaths so I can try to sell the knives, but I've undertaken to sort out my shop and properly mount my machines before starting any more knives.

Between the heat and these two chores I've completely and utterly lost motivation..... :wacko: 

know the struggle bru, hasnt been below 28C here for the past week and the humidity is starting to ramp up. plus i havnt had power since last sunday, so my generator has been getting a good work out.

but its all worth it when you finish up that beautiful knife and sheath. and if thats not motivation, then a couple of dollars from a happy customer surely will be ;)

8 hours ago, Gerhard said:

I need to learn leatherwork and finish quite a few sheaths so I can try to sell the knives,

Pocket sheaths are fairly easy to make. If the knives are all similar in size and shape, you can create a template for the leather cutout and knock them out pretty quickly.

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/29338-2-simple-sheath´s/

Edited by Joshua States
18 hours ago, Ross Vosloo said:

know the struggle bru, hasnt been below 28C here for the past week and the humidity is starting to ramp up. plus i havnt had power since last sunday, so my generator has been getting a good work out.

but its all worth it when you finish up that beautiful knife and sheath. and if thats not motivation, then a couple of dollars from a happy customer surely will be ;)

Okay I'll stop complaining :lol: 

I'm busy with 3 knives that need to get on a plane to Switzerland soon, made most of the tanto's sheath on Sunday, leather covered kydex, just need to make the dangler this afternoon.

Also made my first acceptable (I think) Kukri sheath, thick leather backing with thick kydex front, riveted with 4mm copper.

13 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Pocket sheaths are fairly easy to make. If the knives are all similar in size and shape, you can create a template for the leather cutout and knock them out pretty quickly.

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/29338-2-simple-sheath´s/

My Dad did leatherwork in school several centuries ago, and he's handy to say the least.....just old and slowing down.  He's busy with a sheath for another knife with an owner waiting, made an excellent effort and one small mistake that made it useless.....2nd effort under way.

The BIG problem is leather, I literally need to pay  the price of a knife for about 1m x 1m of thick, suitable leather......I'm very hesitant and leaning towards junking the 3 sheaths my ex-sheath-guy made and doing kydex for them all.

Santa came early this year. Yesterday I picked up a Little Giant 25-lb. power hammer and a 24-ton press. Had to drive down to Oregon and pick them up. It was a bear getting them onto the trailer. Got them home last night and am now awaiting the forklift to show up so I can unload them.

07noug0OSjSMi7khdOLJHA.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SteveShimanek said:

That is a nice score, Jeff!

Well, it's giving me trouble already. After getting it unloaded I fired it up to see if everything was still working. I have to press the treadle sharply all the way to the floor a couple of times to get it to start hammering. Once it starts, it won't stop until I turn it off. Letting up on the treadle won't stop it. Seems like maybe the clutch is slipping?