Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Not really a what i do today post, but ive been thinking about how im going to do it all day while at work. Building a grinder tomorrow :) pics to follow.

prepared some Wood fore curing :) Thuya,maple and oak. Furthermore I couldn´t resist splitting some firewood with my new limbing axe ^^ alot more pleasurable than my 8 Pound splitting maul

I did nothing in my shop today because I had to work late :(

Made this :) 35$ in scrap and old parts I've had kicking around. Works well besides a tracking issue which I'll take care of tomorrow hopefully.

2016-03-29 22.26.37.jpg

Edited by Kenon Rain.

Well that big Bowie I heat treated on Sunday took a small warp in the quench and then it really went off during the tempering :(

I tried to straighten it out, but no deals. So.......I normalized it again and brought it back straight. Now I'll harden it and temper all over again. I guess I will never know what that Hamon would have looked like.

Damn Joshua! Well good luck and wishing a straight quench. Kevin, that thing looks awesome! And for $35?? Really breaking the bank on that one. ;)

Edited by Austin_Lyles

I picked up a post anvil from Old World Anvils, very awesome people by the way.

So I obviously needed to build a stand for it. The anvil is 4x4x9.75 and about 45-ish lbs.

The "slot" is 25 inches high and the top of the stand is 30 inches high. Comfortable for my 5'8 height.

I was even able to use it a little bit today and it worked pretty well. I was initially concerned that it'd be very rocky but it was fairly stable despite its light weight.

All in all, it was neat little non-blade project.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Chopped up some bedframe rail to make a firebrick base on which to run Jeff Pringle's atomic marshmallow crucible-cooker this weekend. Welding it all up tonight.

Jeff Pringle's atomic marshmallow crucible-cooker?

Jeff Pringle's atomic marshmallow crucible-cooker?

Check the Fire & Brimstone thread (Events) in a couple days, you'll see.

Not today's work, but the results of the last several weekends: 15 rough-forged hawk heads fresh out of the vinegar and arranged on the anvil to dry. Kinda artsy, huh? ;) And yes, the bottom four in the top photo have been profile ground.

hawkspine 1.jpg

hawkspine 2.jpg

Looks like the spine of some creature from the sagas :)

That is an impressive amount of work sitting on that anvil!

Alan that looks like the manliest set of hinges for a barn door or something Ive EVER seen!

Alan, I would hang that on my wall as art! It speaks to me and its aesthetics are very pleaseing.

Not today's work, but the results of the last several weekends: 15 rough-forged hawk heads fresh out of the vinegar and arranged on the anvil to dry. Kinda artsy, huh? ;) And yes, the bottom four in the top photo have been profile ground.

Nice work, as always :-)

Thanks, guys. I like that hinge idea!

As of just now all fifteen are profiled and rough ground to 36 grit. I stopped because my back is unhappy with all that grinding. Tomorrow I'm doing a hawk demo (since it's fresh in my mind!) at my local guild meeting (Bristol Forge at Rocky Mount) and I don't want to be too sore to forge!

If you're in driving distance to Johnson City, TN it's at Rocky Mount state historic site at 1:30 pm, come n the back gate and drive up to the barn the wrong way past the do not enter sign.

Owen, did you get the cute little alldays that was on facebook for fifteen hundred from the north ? If its that one I really had to sit on my hands not to shout aye when it was posted ! :)

Profiled and finished grinding to 320 those two O-1 knives I heat treated with that 1095 Bowie. Couldn't work on the Bowie while Liz was forging and making stuff, because I have to video it for the WIP series. Well, maybe tomorrow.

Can you guess?

Sanding mess_opt.jpg

Ooo, Ooo, Ooo, I know! You swept up!

Just teasing. I had a similar pile of soggy sandpaper this weekend as well :)

Ooo, Ooo, Ooo, I know! You swept up!

Just teasing. I had a similar pile of soggy sandpaper this weekend as well :)

OK, I was laughing out loud.

Mr. Joshua States has delved into Origami?! there are a lot of paper scraps there :P I hear stabilizing your paper first makes top notch origami owls!

Today I worked on a san-mai blade. A lot more activity in the steel then I would have thought, after heat treat. Pretty cool!

IMAG1110.jpg

• Like 1