What did you do in your shop today?

42 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Thanks guys! 

Thanks! They're not done yet, but I was done. Had other fish to fry. They will either be mounted to a classic 90° bent flat bar frame or perhaps iron bands made to go around two mounting points or something like that. I think I prefer the latter. Just winging it really. I don't want to use a modern welder on them though. You lose cool points for that. Any ideas you might have, feel free to share em! 

I just don't see how they mount, either to the wall or to the shelf. What holds them in place?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

No knife work since right after Christmas, I've been in furniture mode.  The backstory:  I won a couple of steel scuba tanks with the bottom cut off at an iron-in-the-hat at my local blacksmith's guil

I made myself a hammer I´ve wanted for a long time: an english style dog head hammer. Forged from 60mm square c45 steel (1045 basically) with a curly walnut handle, just because I wanted to be fa

Posted Images

Like I said, haven't gotten that far. There will be another piece or pieces made. Either brackets like bands that wrap around the area of the scroll at the two contact points (both shelf and wall) that will have a hole on each side (right and left) of the scroll for a screw or nail (something attractive) or, a 90° L shaped corble gusset thing that will have mounting holes and bands like arms split from the body and bent out that wrap around the scrolls in a tasteful and ornamental manner.  

Make sense? I drew a picture, but covered the page in doodles defacing it. 

Edited by Zeb Camper
20 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Like I said, haven't gotten that far. There will be another piece or pieces made. Either brackets like bands that wrap around the area of the scroll at the two contact points (both shelf and wall) that will have a hole on each side (right and left) of the scroll for a screw or nail (something attractive) or, a 90° L shaped corble gusset thing that will have mounting holes and bands like arms split from the body and bent out that wrap around the scrolls in a tasteful and ornamental manner.  

Make sense? I drew a picture, but covered the page in doodles defacing it. 

Lol opps.  Even with out the bracket mount I couldn’t pull something off like that they look nice.

• Thanks 1

I bet you could. Simple stuff. Tapering and bending. I look at most of this stuff as skill learned through diligence. A matter of how badly do you want it, and how hard you are willing to work. Yes instruction from a professional would help, but I've had none so far (except on here). The bending of the main swirl is started by hand over the horn and wrapped around a pre-made scroll welded to a plate and shank as a jig in my hardy hole. No brainer. The tightest loop is started with a pair of channel locks, rolled further with the hammer, and the final bend made over the horn and tweeking done in the vice. Go and try it sometime! 

Finally got around to forging this big knife out of the roller bearing. I had done some heat treat testing on it and decided it probably was 52100 afterall.

This is my first bowie knife (I think?). Didn't have a drawing or real plan. Just got to hammering. Probably would have added a little more belly to the point but I ran out of steel. I tapered it pretty thin before I started on the bevels. 

Anyway, I usually don't forge big knives so this was a lot of fun. Going to decide on a handle material then cut the tang down and forge it to match the handle. And do some final straightening then. Full distal taper. 

It's pretty big. Blade from tip to heel is a little over 10". Thickness at ricasso is a little under 3/8"

20190127_154923-1612x1209.jpg

20190127_154942-1612x1209.jpg

This is what it started out as... Still got some steel left over. 

20190119_130008-1612x1209.jpg

Edited by Cody Killgore
46 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Clean forging!  Very nice.  And just shy of 3/8" at the ricasso with full distal taper?  Sounds like a cutting competition beast!

5 minutes ago, Cody Killgore said:

Thanks Alan! My goal last year was to work on my forging and try to forge closer to shape. It is definitely a beast. 

Looks like a chopper to me maybe

I basically bought mild steel to make some tongs lol that was pretty much all I did.  Not a bad price got 40 inches of 3/8ths inch by 1 inch flat bar for 6 bucks which was a pretty good deal lol.

• Like 1

Got my first look at 15n20 today.  I didn't realize how thin the stuff is.  I mean when I tried opening the package I accidentally bent my 15n20 just a bit not horribly lol.  It was able to be straightened back.  But I didn't realize that it was thin enough to bend by hand.  Holy cow.  Expecting my 1075/1080 today as well.  Which will be really nice.  But if my coal supplier has the coal in today I'm going to be spending most of the afternoon making tongs.  I've still got to pick up some 3/8ths inch round stock.  HD has plenty of that and I can get it there cheaply at least.  Unlike some of their other metals.  But yes tomorrow I will definitely be able to start on the Damascus forge welding.  Looks like I wont be forging today or tomorrow so much for that.  Danged coal suppliers.

Edited by AndrewB

Well not exactly in......this was on my porch.
HT'ed a motherless big 5160 Bowie and two 14C28N steak knives......my first SS.

When the 5160 was at 820C I couldn't resist checking......never seen anything like it, looked like a balloon of scale......but it sure is hard.

https://youtu.be/v6iC1jm-9VA

13 minutes per beer? You may need a supply drop!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, MichaelP said:

13 minutes per beer? You may need a supply drop!

No such luck.......I'll be forced to snort Borax for the 2nd cycle! :lol:

Be sure to follow it with a pinch of coal dust, it helps with the burning sensation.

33 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

No such luck.......I'll be forced to snort Borax for the 2nd cycle! :lol:

Snorting borax eh?  That's gotta burn like hell.:lol::lol::lol:

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

Got my first look at 15n20 today.  I didn't realize how thin the stuff is.  I mean when I tried opening the package I accidentally bent my 15n20 just a bit not horribly lol.  It was able to be straightened back.  But I didn't realize that it was thin enough to bend by hand.  Holy cow.  Expecting my 1075/1080 today as well.  Which will be really nice.  But if my coal supplier has the coal in today I'm going to be spending most of the afternoon making tongs.  I've still got to pick up some 3/8ths inch round stock.  HD has plenty of that and I can get it there cheaply at least.  Unlike some of their other metals.  But yes tomorrow I will definitely be able to start on the Damascus forge welding.  Looks like I wont be forging today or tomorrow so much for that.  Danged coal suppliers.

Yeah, it is thin stuff.  Don't be tempted to stack it for a wider bright line, you'd be surprised how it evens out in the end by the time you get to 15 or 20 layers.  Well, you CAN stack it if you want, I've just never seen the need to.  

45 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

Monday, 20:20 local time, 26 minutes left of first temper cycle and only 2 beers left :(

:lol:

I feel for you, Gerhard!  Poor planning!

14 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Yeah, it is thin stuff.  Don't be tempted to stack it for a wider bright line, you'd be surprised how it evens out in the end by the time you get to 15 or 20 layers.

No I had only planned on stacking one piece and one piece lol.  I only have 40 inches of 15n20 at the time.  So this trial of Damascus if I screw it up lol there goes 10 bucks out the door well plus the cost of shipping lol.

I got sick a couple weeks ago with the flu I guess, I had a fever and I was pretty confused, I didnt eat much more than crackers and water for that time and it really took a lot out of me, but im better now and ive been running around finishing knives, im not as good at finishing as I am at starting knives. 

It was my birthday on the 26th so I got $30 worth of sandpaper, not a whole lot but it should hold me over for a while, I need to find 600 and 1000 grit paper that doesnt wear out immediately.  

Im getting really close to finishing this japanese hybrid dagger, im going to polish the blade to 600, its at 400 now. Its got a mokume band on the guard and after a lot of searching I found some small ribbon that I can use for handle wraps on small knives, i got it at walmart big surprise, they really do have everything.....

Also a new tandys leather opened up close to my house, I needed to go there to get some waxed thread as I had run out, last time I bought it it was less than five dollars but they bumped up the price to twenty. No f#&@ing way, tandys can go lick a spider. 

I also watched some videos on youtube and figured out how to make a leather splitter with a board and a plane blade, now I can get super thin leather to make sheaths for 1/4 and 1/6 scale miniature knives, it is essentially miniature leather. Its important with miniatures that everything be the right thickness, too thick and it looks goofy like a toy. 

Ive got a few blades to polish today and some sheaths to make, and im all set up to do it!

Edited by steven smith

This is what I did in the shop today....and yesterday, the day before and tomorrow<_< When the pile of coil spring sections on the hearth are  gone I can move on to something else. This is slightly less monotonous than spending an entire week forging penannular brooches but widgets pay the bills. On the bright side, I can tune out and day dream about all the other stuff I would rather be working on. I'm coming up with lots of twisted ideas about what to do with some really nice wrought I got recently:)

These are normalized, hardened in canola and tempered for two two hour cycles at 400f, oiled at the end of the second cycle for color and as you can see, forge finished everywhere except the edge bevels.

101_0343.JPG

101_0342.JPG

101_0339.JPG

101_0338.JPG

101_0335.JPG

101_0336.JPG

6 minutes ago, MichaelP said:

This is what I did in the shop today....and yesterday, the day before and tomorrow<_< When the pile of coil spring sections on the hearth are  gone I can move on to something else. This is slightly less monotonous than spending an entire week forging penannular brooches but widgets pay the bills. On the bright side, I can tune out and day dream about all the other stuff I would rather be working on. I'm coming up with lots of twisted ideas about what to do with some really nice wrought I got recently:)

These are normalized, hardened in canola and tempered for two two hour cycles at 400f, oiled at the end of the second cycle for color and as you can see, forge finished everywhere except the edge bevels.

101_0343.JPG

101_0342.JPG

101_0339.JPG

101_0338.JPG

101_0335.JPG

101_0336.JPG

Damn I I really like the twisted handle.  Railroad spike knives?  How well does that steel hold up I was actually considering ordering a bunch of spikes myself at one point.

10 minutes ago, MichaelP said:

I think 400 is a little hot for spring steel. Generally I don't temper 5160 above 350. Have you seen Lin Rhea and the X-Rhea Knife? He has posted several WIP threads in various places on how he does this.