What did you do in your shop today?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

No knife work since right after Christmas, I've been in furniture mode.  The backstory:  I won a couple of steel scuba tanks with the bottom cut off at an iron-in-the-hat at my local blacksmith's guil

I made myself a hammer I´ve wanted for a long time: an english style dog head hammer. Forged from 60mm square c45 steel (1045 basically) with a curly walnut handle, just because I wanted to be fa

Posted Images

I'll check it out Joshua. Yeah, it's a little hot but honestly with the Ren-Fair crowd I'm more concerned about toughness than edge retention. Also 400 is more of a hypothetical number with my toaster oven:P

Andrew B No, these are automotive coil spring which means probably 5160. Having forged a lot of 5160 from reputable steel suppliers I feel very comfortable saying this steel forges and performs like 5160 but no one but the manufacturer actually knows the alloy and they ain't tellin!

OK, that X Ray knife is cool and Mr Rheas work is amazing! I've seen that design before where the finger guard is pinned and peened back onto the ricasso but I hadn't connected it mentally to a particular maker. I like it!

4 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Well not exactly in......this was on my porch.
HT'ed a motherless big 5160 Bowie and two 14C28N steak knives......my first SS.

When the 5160 was at 820C I couldn't resist checking......never seen anything like it, looked like a balloon of scale......but it sure is hard.

https://youtu.be/v6iC1jm-9VA

Gerhard, seeing the pleasure on your face when you quench is an absolute joy to behold. Asked the GF to check next time if I smile like that.

WOOHOO, got my bag of Bitominous coal this morning.  45 dollars later lol.  Oh well seems roughly about 1 dollar per pound roughly.  Maybe a little less.  So still not too terrible.  But I think I don't think I'd buy a pallet of it when I can still get the pallet of anthracite at a cheaper cost.  Anyhow  Today I will be forging the tongs first and then maybe maybe if the weather continues to hold out into the evening it's supposed to... I'll start forging the first billet of Damascus.  I was in a bad mood because of a game that went terribly wrong this morning Got REKT in the first 2 minutes of the match but getting the coal today made up for that lol.  At least I'll get to forge today.

Edited by AndrewB
  • Like 1

So over the past month I made the decision to start stocking up my handle material.  So far I've only got three but I've got two more on the way in.  I've got 2 olive wood scales 1 block for hidden tangs I also have one set of mesquite wood scales and I have a purple heart block and scales on the way.  So i'm slowly but surely starting to build up my handle resources.  This month I'm planning on ordering some more since I'm deciding to stick with Bituminous coal for now until at least summer time.  But come summer due to the fire season I'll go back to anthracite.

I welded up a multi bar billet for a seax - my first serpent core in opposing twist  low contrast sumingashi, with a 15n20 border in a medium carbon ground. Wrought iron top and bottom of the serpent bar, and a silver steel edge :

serpent 7.jpg

now I'm having beer and painkillers...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
8 minutes ago, jake cleland said:

I welded up a multi bar billet for a seax

Is that chcken wire I see that you used to hold your billet together?  

On 1/29/2019 at 11:54 AM, AndrewB said:

But I think I don't think I'd buy a pallet of it when I can still get the pallet of anthracite at a cheaper cost.

You will have better welding success with Bituminous coal. And even better success with coke if you can find it. At least Bituminous turns to coke anthracite doesn't. 

Just now, jake cleland said:

it's baling wire. 

Ah okay interesting and it worked fine?  I'm wondering if I should even try that does it not weld to the metal when hitting the billet with the hammer?  Or does it just fall off when the welds complete.

Just now, Jeremy Blohm said:

You will have better welding success with Bituminous coal. And even better success with coke if you can find it. At least Bituminous turns to coke anthracite doesn't. 

That's what I was figuring I have two bags of the coal sitting in the trunk right now so I got 100 pounds of it lol.  I can't wait to try another forge weld especially a damascus attempt.

2 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Ah okay interesting and it worked fine?  I'm wondering if I should even try that does it not weld to the metal when hitting the billet with the hammer?  Or does it just fall off when the welds complete.

most of it tears off during welding/wire brushing/fluxing etc. Some of it welds, but it gets ground off anyway.

If you have a welder, use that instead...

Edited by jake cleland
2 hours ago, jake cleland said:

most of it tears off during welding/wire brushing/fluxing etc. Some of it welds, but it gets ground off anyway.

Okay I may have to give that a go at some point  I don't have any bailing wire at home so I'll have to use my welder on this one but if its decent tomorrow with no rain I'm going to start tomorrow.

Edited by AndrewB
2 hours ago, jake cleland said:

I welded up a multi bar billet for a seax - my first serpent core in opposing twist  low contrast sumingashi, with a 15n20 border in a medium carbon ground. Wrought iron top and bottom of the serpent bar, and a silver steel edge :

now I'm having beer and painkillers...

I'm truly impressed because I know you did all that by hand too. 

7 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I'm truly impressed because I know you did all that by hand too. 

that's why I like to cheat a bit - I buy the wrought in 5/16ths square, the suminagashi is already layered and close to size, I use silver steel because it's quicker to forge round to square, etc. The spine sections are all unhardenable, so I can set the welds 1 or 2 at a time, quench from black  and clean up and wire for the next weld without wasting too much time or fuel. Since I injured my arm, I need to work smart instead of hard. Even then, that billet probably took about 6 hours all told, and I was In a stupid amount all night afterwards...

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

What did you do to your arm?  That car crash a couple years ago?  The billet looks great, by the way.

Yeah. The crash was nearly 5 years ago now, but there was quite extensive nerve damage, which means it hurts all the time, but also most of the autonomic movement has stopped, so I lose muscle tone incredibly quickly when I'm not working it, and when I do work it enough to get the muscle back it messes with the fine motor control in my hand - it's not ideal for going back and forth between heavy forging and carving...

Ayway, I cut the tip off today and got it ground down to pretty much clean, and everything looks good. As it stands, the blade is 7" long, 7mm thick and 1 1/4" wide, so I should have plenty of material to forge something nice out of it:

serpent 8.jpg

But my local pub has just re-opened after 3 1/2 weeks, so now I'm gonna go and get drunk...

• Like 2

Two Damascus billets welded up ready to go in the fire when I light the forge next.  I also lol went down to my local Ace Hardware bought a new drill bit, their last 3/16 inch brass rod and another 2 40 inch pieces of 1 inch by 3/8ths inch flat bar to make yep, you guessed it MORE TONGS.  LOL.  I should be able to make a couple of them with two pieces that long.  No matter even though it was nice out I did very little I didn't feel like lighting the forge my body just wasn't feeling it.  Maybe Tuesday or Wensday if its dry.  I also picked up another tube of epoxy as well.  So I think I'm good for the next four or five knives.

With that keyway no telling what machinery it's off of. Looks like hammers to me!

I have one of those!  I was told it was the rod out of a hydraulic cylinder.  I thought hammers too, but it's been in the outside steel pile for 20 years and has zero rust so I leave it alone...

Spark tested it, the sparks show high carbon 

I need one heck of a power hammer to draw that thing out. 

Or I will just cut it up with a chop saw. 

Finished these today.

3 different sizes of em'. The hooks at the bottom are for hanging towels on. These were all forged from 1/2" square drop from work. They are adjustable for different shelf sizes. The only thing about the adjustability of these is that I still need to make 90° brackets to connect the corner of the wall and shelf. That will add the 3rd contact point and lock everything in place. These can be very minimal in size. 

20190202_150751.jpg

20190202_151047.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

Any idea What this is???

Looks like a conveyor belt shaft. I have used some before that was good medium carbon steel