Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Looking forward to your video.  I'd also love to see pics of the dagger when you're done 

Ooh, I do like a dagger with hamon!

I thought you folks went metric.  Shouldn't that be 378.541 liters?

I work with both, but yep - around 380 litres -  10 at a time :b

Working on this faceted bolster for a santoku. I think I love playing with geometry. Perhaps this will become my trademarks someday :lol:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Troels Saabye said:

I work with both, but yep - around 380 litres -  10 at a time :b

What happened?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Working on this faceted bolster for a santoku. I think I love playing with geometry.

Joël, that looks mighty fine.

15 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Looking forward to your video.  I'd also love to see pics of the dagger when you're done 

It must be my crappy internet DSL connection thingy. YouTube has been trying to upload a 14 minute video for more than 24 hours now. It will take a while to finish this build.

Edited by Joshua States

12 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

What happened?

We don't have the best drainage on the farm - so everytime we experience heavy rain, the basement floods

Here is the mallet ive been working on. Birdseye maple with two coats of clear polyurathane  It comes in at 1 pound almost exactly.

There are a few mistakes on it but over all i think it looks nice!.IMG_2445.jpeg

IMG_2444.jpeg

IMG_2446.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Later this morning I plan on testing out the flat dyes I made yesterday I'm hoping that they give the effect that I want them to give for doing hidden tangs.  We shall see I plan on firing the forge up later this morning and forging for a few hours today at least.  Also seeing that I didn't have any 36 grit belts I ordered 3 2x48 belts and 3 2x72 inch belts for my grinders.  So I have both at least on the way.

Edited by AndrewB

Not exactly what I did in the shop but more like what I'm getting ready to do. 

Resized_20190309_134710.jpeg

Resized_20190309_134657.jpeg

On 3/8/2019 at 9:04 AM, Troels Saabye said:

We don't have the best drainage on the farm - so everytime we experience heavy rain, the basement floods

Ouch

Got this blade forged out time for a hole lotta grinding...

2FC6F16C-53F8-4535-BFD6-D628BAC53150.jpeg

• Like 1

Started last week and finished tack welding a mild steel frame for an alu-clad canopy I'm building for my Suzuki jeep.......2 years soft-topping is enough.

Welding mask fell one too many times and stopped working.........before getting thrown and kicked around the yard.  Because I was working outside on the car the sun was badly messing with the mask, glad I didn't get arc eyes in the process.

The frame is in the shop now so I can start welding up everything properly.

What bothers me is I'm the sort of welder that needs to do a lot of grinding, I want to do the welding inside, and for the sake of everything I'd prefer to grind outside.....

I got some thing made today.  I have a friend that sells plasma cut tong blanks at a price I just can't beat.  Although these were sitting around for a good while on my work table, I finally can put them on the tong rack today.

I've been working with more and more flat stock lately, and never made anything to hold it.  I forged out the upper nib into this bow so that this set could hold 1x1/4 up to about 1x1/2 without adjustment.  strangely, I needed this set to make another set of tongs later down the road.  

20190311_171401.jpg20190311_171416.jpg20190311_171437.jpg

I do wish I made the forging look a little cleaner but just a little time with a file made things nice and smooth. They hold surprisingly good and tight without the nib, Friday may be a good forge day so I should be putting them to use soon. 

More grinding lol does that count as anything?

IMG_20190311_122854852.thumb.jpg.946a78c1b94b1a00e26feed8ef934b8f.jpg

IMG_20190311_122843519.thumb.jpg.ff87ca063f761ef453406d76bc76d40c.jpg

Not quite in the shop, finally got around to replace the lock on my aviary ^^ The birds didn't really notice..

så er de hjemme.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Troels Saabye said:

Not quite in the shop, finally got around to replace the lock on my aviary ^^ The birds didn't really notice..

Hey that’s cool! How many birds do you have?  I’ve got a conure. 

27 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

I’ve got a conure. 

Does yours at least talk?  My parents got one of those and it's an annoying little punk and it you try to hold it it bites the crap out of you.  And I get stuck taking care of it when the parents go out of town #SOANNOYING lmfao.

I've been waiting on my 36 grit belts to get here to do any more grinding I wanna see what kind of difference they make, not really shop related but I got myself a new gaming keyboard and mouse today that will be here Thursday I think.  I think I've become addicted to ordering off Amazon LMFAO.  Good thing I don't have 1 click order activated lmfao.  Otherwise Id be in trouble.  This be the keyboard I picked up.  Not bad for 30 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BKWCYW6

Not really in my shop ´´today´´ as it is a school day but last weekend is close enough for this thread I think.

I fired up my drum forge to heat treat my first sword and all went without problems, unlike the last time I tried to quench a sword. (let's just say that I made a nice impression of the shards of Narsil haha.)

My friend suggested that the contraption made of barrels, an old barbecue, clamps and a weedburner looks like a rocket, while my mom likes calling it a pipe bomb.:rolleyes:  

Luckily my forge works a lot better than it looks, I am really impressed with how simple and effective it is, I could evenly heat a two feet blade without any issue and i have no doubt that it will do longer blades as well.

At the moment I am doing a lot of hand sanding and working on handle parts, the blade came out dead straight and I am very impressed with the 80crv2 steel so far, even with a 250celcius spring temper it passes a brass rod test just fine.

20190302_142956.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

Does yours at least talk?  My parents got one of those and it's an annoying little punk and it you try to hold it it bites the crap out of you.  And I get stuck taking care of it when the parents go out of town #SOANNOYING lmfao.

Yep he talks. his name is maxwell. The smaller of a parrot you get, the bigger the attitude, they can be the nicest little things but theres a ton of work in training that you have to do for that.

But man when they bite, it is painfull..

1 minute ago, Conner Michaux said:

But man when they bite, it is painfull..

No kidding.  Been bit plenty of times.

I forged out a billet of pallet strap (sold as high carbon but more like .3-.4%) and 1080, its eight layers of strap with one piece of 1080. Now its a yanagiba! But I couldnt just forge one thing at a time so I tried making a little punch for railroad spike hammers or whatever, my sledgehammer head anvil was bouncing around and a bad hit with the hammer launched the piece right into my adams apple and it fell to burn my chest as well, I also burned myself with my pliers on my wrist. 

So ive got six burns, a yanagiba, and the steel that hit me will be my makers mark punch. It seemed appropriate as im calling my forge Catamount forge, which means cat like (including the big cats) and agile enough to wound me six times in under a second. My makers mark will be two s's which start from the same point and a backwards s on the first s so the two look like an 8 with an s for a tail.

Ive been forging for 4-5 years now and I still dont have real tongs, with pliers you have to be careful about how you hold things and how you hammer! Im making some real tongs when I get good material for them.