Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

It was a fun challenge. I really had to cut some corners. I'm never doing another guard with files agan. The hot punch method was so quick and easy with a perfect fit. 5 to 10 minutes saved me an hour of filing. The only problem is in forged in fire they dont allow you to use the forge in the second round so I guess I cheated a little. It could be done with a torch though.

I believe they have a Bridgeport that would make life a LOT easier though. Mill a slot and it would make hot punching with a torch much easier.

13 hours ago, Mike Ward said:

Not half bad for not picking up a hammer in 5 months, me thinks. 5.5” hunter/Bowie 

5308672C-C2BD-452A-BF0C-8AFF53E38000.jpeg

119E8156-D837-4E8A-A991-A3AC64241861.jpeg

6EAA4119-C006-4D04-8A03-BE6FF143A942.jpeg

Nicely done!

• Like 1

Thank you! I added a paring knife and  they’re now quenched and tempered.

9277F132-41F6-4B79-9F38-3F1366CD11D8.jpeg

• Like 2

So glad to be back at it, guess I shouldn't complain......but it feels like I spent most of my time cleaning up old contact adhesive from my disc grinder yesterday.

The disc grinder (side of my big contact wheel) is definitely the answer to getting my current projects finished, but the adhesive sucks, and clearly the sanding paper I'm using as well.  I get about 1 minute's productive work from a sheet of 220.

Been looking for alternatives but variety has bitten the bullet in recent years.

Well not in my metalworking shop, but in my soon to be second hand store - shot another video of the conversion from old barn/pigsty, and hammered more of the old concrete and rebar  down and removed the last bit of old rotten boards. Next up plastering some raw bricks and lavastone

Two more boards ready for oil and a paring knife ready for finishing. The big one is 12x17” and the little on is 10x12”

1516B010-9C40-4E71-B308-5668607A526E.jpeg

33698DCF-F3EF-4DC5-8718-4A8B5545FA93.jpeg

• Like 2

Two days, two 220 grit belts, 7 sheets of 220 sanding paper on the disc grinder, some 220 grit strips off the shop roll and some sweat later, the choppers are ready for the laser etching this afternoon.

These cleavers have been the bane of my existence.....I need to make 3 more...... :ph34r:

Very nice @Mike Ward

What did you do in your shop.....this weekend.

Very little.  I'm blaming the change of season, but I'm in a bit of a funk....

I did clear a huge hurdle, the two cleavers that started as 3 and has proven to be my most difficult project to date are now shaving sharp.

Getting there was another matter, started with the edge of the cleaver hanging over the edge of my kitchen counter, going at it with the Lansky.

Gave up on that and went to the belt grinder, VFD helps.  I wanted to ask advice following this process but I'm guessing we all have the same issues with longer edges and practice  as always is the answer.

Also annealed strips cut out of a huge old wood saw blade.  I feel better about using it now because I was worried about cracks and now I know there's none.

Straightened a large bearing race that I hope to forge into something with a Japanese flavour and construction, as well as 3 pieces of another bearing race that will hopefully become blacksmith's knives..

Got that done, forge was nice & hot but my petrol ran out.....

Posted (edited)

I finally managed to clean the front room of my shop, not an easy task - my father had used it for concrete slab storage :P but after an hour of cursing and back breaking work it  is now concrete free

and the next session I nearly burned down my blacksmith shop due to a tarp catching fire -,-  oh well live and learne now I moved the fire extinguisher closer to the anvil.

Edited by Troels Saabye

Posted (edited)

Gonna start working on this Lil Dashi, Im waiting to Aquire the funds to get ferric for my damascus Puukko, But that wont be for a while, because Im getting a canopy to put over my forging area, because the sun is permanently beating down on the forge and anvil.  50$ I'd rather not spend, but I would like to start forging again. .   

So this dashi will be about 4 inches long, 1/4 thick. and I'm going to file a little pry-bar end on the back.  I will use some Low layer 1084/15n20.   Someone that makes Damascus billets and sells them on Instagram was Nice enough to hook me up with a small piece of one.

I really wish I could get my hands on some of that Ti-mascus stuff.. that would make some cool scales.  Maybe Ill get a some regular Ti and heat it up till is got the blue-purple look and use that.   

IMG_7647.JPG

And just a thought,    You peoples of forum-land seem to have answers to everything!   Has there/will there ever be a day where nobody has an answer to a question asked?         Will there ever be a day- that is answerable,  unless the fiery beard gives you the power to see the future. :lol:

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • Like 2

I have no answer for a lot of things, and those I either don't answer or just say I have no idea.  ;)  Usually some else will, though.

At last :D I got around to make a jig for nail forging and a new hardy cutter ^^  Another item to sell in the shop

Posted (edited)

Hmmm. Looks like I need to up my game.

Pixlr_20190515122308386.jpg

Maybe a little B=F^3?

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1

This blade is 5 layers. Outer layers are Henry rifle barrels. Inner 2 layers are 15n20 and O1 for the core.Resized_20190516_170306.jpeg

This blade is canister Damascus. 1084 powder ball and roller bearings and pieces of 15n20 and small file pieces.Resized_20190516_170231.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Been busy trying to turn steel into something else.  I have a collection sitting there and only 24 hours in a day.

So I spent a little time, and not much money on this prototype:

I introduce to you the Turbo Stab-O'-Matic 1000:

Just a prototype, put together lazily as proof of concept.  All parts were on hand except for the belts and a small pulley. 1/3 hp motor.  tried 1/10 hp first, but that was not powerful enough.   It worked well.

This was shamelessly stolen from Shurap on youtube because a Good Idea is a Good Idea.  His machine is much nicer.

Edited by Bruno
  • Like 2

I made myself a hammer I´ve wanted for a long time: an english style dog head hammer.

Forged from 60mm square c45 steel (1045 basically) with a curly walnut handle, just because I wanted to be fancy.

weight is 1500 grammes so about three pounds.

This thing was a lot harder to forge than a normal hammer, the wedge shape keeps trying to shoot away under the hammer.

Good thing I also have a grinder:ph34r:

It feels nice to forge with so far, I have to see how I like it when I start forging a new knife.

IMG_20190517_134117.jpg

IMG_20190517_134207.jpg

• Like 7

Very nice hammer indeed!  But that is a massive anvil!  How much does that monster weigh?

That's awesome. I've been wanting to make one of these myself. 

Another canister weld was successful. My friend put this all together and I let him use my equipment to weld it up. I have know idea what all is in this thing but it looks like there is some stainless nuts or something like that. 

Resized_20190517_161740.jpeg

Resized_20190517_162154.jpeg

Cool hammer! 

I modified a cheap hammer today. Trimmed it down on the peen side, ground meat out of the sides, and left the face flared. Put a new handle on it that I need to finish after the epoxy dries. It feels very nice in the hand and much more balanced. I figure its 2.5 lbs now. 

I also made a twisting jig (which is pretty cool, but I didn't take a pic) and stacked up some damascus for welding tomarrow. I think tomarrow will be a good day. 

20190517_182750.jpg

On 5/17/2019 at 7:23 PM, Eric Morgan said:

That’s a very nice looking hammer!

On 5/17/2019 at 8:26 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

That's awesome. I've been wanting to make one of these myself. 

Thanks guys, making hammers is a lot of fun!

On 5/17/2019 at 8:21 PM, Alan Longmire said:

Very nice hammer indeed!  But that is a massive anvil!  How much does that monster weigh?

She is marked 209 kg, which translates to around 460 pounds, It is a really great anvil, with nice rebound and really flat faces after a hundred years.

The maker is Soeding&Halbach from germany which was renowned for its cast steel anvils.

• Like 2