What did you do in your shop today?

This is the best blade ive forged so  far, little santoku style, if it gets finished this will be my personal petty/steak knife, I tried to forge a distal taper, I did okay. There’s a slight Warp In it, but I can fix that easily.  It’s forged from a piece of file. I have access to a disc grinder, so sometime this week I’ll go and use That to grind the taper even. But other than the warp it look a pretty good, oh and I’ll have to grind the tip of it a little bit to get the santokuness. My hammer control Is getting better. So there aren’t many hammers marks in it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Yesterday, and not my shop.

I got another pirate (grandson) with a birthday coming up next month and he's in need of a treasure chest.   I've got most of the woodwork done:     I made the boards fr

Posted Images

On 5/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Resized_20190517_161740.jpeg

Resized_20190517_162154.jpeg

Canister Damascus machete. Cant wait to see what all is in this thing.

Resized_20190529_173658.jpeg

I worked on my platen today. I had made it from 1/2 in mild and in use for over 250+ knives it had developed a bit of a hollow where the bevels were ground and a groove where the profiling was done. I had bought a couple of the glass platens with the intention of using them but they are a bit short at just 8 inches and would reduce the length for flat grinding so I took the mild to the engineers and got it milled back to flat and cut a length of 2 in wide by 5/32 1095 and drilled and tapped a 6mm hole each end of the mild and countersunk the matching holes in the 1095. I couldn't find machine screws to suit at the local general store so re-shaped the heads and re-did the thread of appropriate carriage bolts. I will harden the 1095 in the morning and quench for 8 seconds then finish it in the aluminium quench plate vice. No epoxy to get rid of when it comes time to replace. My friend here has had the same hardened D2 platen for near 30 years and has only just recently had to attend to it so I expect mine should have a reasonably good lifespan.

• Like 1

So I got on the belt sander today ground out a blade profile I semi like it.  As well as I kept contemplating about giving damascus another go.  I think I finally came to the realization of where I had been going wrong.  The thicker steel that I was buying was not meant to be hand hammered into damascus rather the fact of just simply forging a plain old fashioned blade.  Working with this thinner material the 0.070 thickness has taught me a very valuable lesson.  I think on the next steel order I'm going to get a touch smaller width maybe an 1 1/4 and I'll get 2 or 3 48 inch pieces of that and I'll get 2 or 3 piece of the same width of 15N20.  I think I will have a far better success rate at forge welding the smaller and thinner pieces together rather than going from a thick pieces of steel to a thin piece of steel.  I guess I've just been kinda dumb about the hole damascus thing.  I think now that I understand it and the proper way or better way rather I think I'll give it another go what you guys say?

Well, opinions will vary, but I would says "yes and no".

Thinner stock will allow you to build up layers much faster, and that is important for making pattern welded steel.  This is why most people use thin stock.  Some folks use incredibly thin material to start with.

However, that doesn't mean thin is easier.   I find that big thick pieces of steel are easier to weld than thin ones because they have more mass and retain heat longer.

• Like 1

Did more work on these three and started forging another from O1 round. These have been several days, the large one a lot longer!

Gary LT

4ABE5A4F-8A05-4038-B076-37C82BCBFB7A.jpeg

71C5A474-17BD-477D-84FB-8C7A2F7BDA2B.jpeg

E7832DFB-CEB3-428A-8C98-B75D49353C5A.jpeg

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Congratulations!  Looks like a nice vise, and the anvil will work nicely!

It seems to be a Bradley. If that brand ever made anvils...or maybe it's just a rebrand. 

And the vise an Indian Chef? Made in June 1903.

I'm selling the anvil as I've got a PW in much better shape but I might keep the vise.

IMG_20190602_150841.jpg

IMG_20190602_135913.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

I'm jealous! 

This is my only luck since I got my PW 2 years ago. 

Also got this thing shown below rough ground and shaped. It had been laying on the desk for a while with some much needed forge refinement. So I hammered all the dings and got the blade quite smooth and flat. I removed much less material that I did on my last forged blades.

And I also final ground a 7" santoku for the neighbor's wife. Today was a busy day...

IMG_20190602_194224.jpg

IMG_20190602_194251.jpg

IMG_20190602_200217.jpg

Heat treated these two, both 80crv2 I think. Straight as can be too.

F59EE578-87D1-43DC-9BA6-00630C61E224.jpeg

Made this for fun, a little short at about 3 fingers which actually feels pretty good.

014A64B3-EC18-4C54-9157-FFACECC9EB38.jpeg

And then this I made a few months ago for my dad and it’s still going great! I really scored a perfect 10 with this board of cocobolo. The picture doesn’t do it justice at all.

ECF4E1F2-AB2A-47F1-8D0D-3B26BA63E1C2.jpeg

• Like 1

I f.........messed up mostly.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

PPPPPP

Took leave for Friday and planned to get away for the weekend, that didn't happen so Thursday on the spur of the moment I start 3 san mai billets

I used real coal for the first time, that was really interesting......pity I don't have much.

Billets were:

File between mild sandwich

1070 (I think) between mild sandwich

1070 (I think) between two pieces of a forged out dolt from an ox wagon my family used to get here early 1900's.

The steel of the bolt behaved very strange and did not weld. the 1070/mild I messed up, partial weld.

The 1095/mild billet looked good, but etching it I found cracks on the edge.  I've managed to grind that out but there's a small delamination on the one bevel and not that much blade left....

• Sad 1

That sucks Gerhard.  I had one of those weekends not too long ago too.

The doctor that my wife works for is a rockhound in his spare time.  He asked me if I could build him a clamp for holding rocks in his saw.  Based on what he wanted, I put this together for him last night.

20190603_033959-2.jpg20190603_034414-2.jpg

• Like 1

Made a 2" piece of rolled micarta using black cotton twill, this will hopefully be the bolster on a large kitchen knife combined with Peppertree burl.

Also started gluing up a micarta sheath for a Tanto that's been waiting for a while, finally figured out some details.....let's see if it works..... 

"Knife makers don't make mistakes, they make shorter knives"

Cleaver #3 that cracked turns out to be a great smaller tool, glued on the blue cloth and Hessian micarta handles yesterday, and from shaping&finishing the front of the scales I think this will be a nice one....

Also glued on the rolled micarta bolster and a brass spacer on the kitchen knife.  My attempts to stabilize the Peppertree burl that will be the rear part of the handle failed, so I plan to get the bolster shape perfect, then match the wood to it, then put the wood in a plastic bag full of Polyester resin under vacuum until it sets. Being Winter and since I work afternoons the reaction has been quite delayed.

Only thing I'm not sure about is whether I should tint the resin.....

IMG_20190607_164450[1].jpg

IMG_20190607_165845[1].jpg

Edited by Gerhard Gerber
add pics

Finally got my wisdom teeth yanked this morning. They were pushing my front teeth crooked so they had to go. Forgot to ask to keep them. I meant to use em for something knife related.

So, nothing done in the shop today, but been reading "The Sword In Anglo-Saxon England". Overall a pretty good read so far, though some of the info i think is off. The pain pills got me dozing off between readings, so I've only made it to about page 60 lol. 

Some of the most interesting things were the markings of the blades and the book's theories. They suspect coin like stampings may have shown the sword belonged to a particular lord or ruler of some sort used on swords that he sort of loaned to his subjects and reclaimed at the subject's death. 

And alleged illiterate makers jumbling random letters onto blades may well have actually been code or abbreviation that may have been recognized by the connesoure. Though the warrior may not be able to read, very much more likely the noble distributing swords would be able to spot a nonsensical inscription. 

These sound somewhat plausible at least. 

20190607_220732.jpg

My buddies friend, who is homeless, wanted a knife. He does yardwork for my friend and doesnt just ask for money, he will ask for jobs. He seems nice and grew up on a farm so he knows a bunch of useful stuff. Some of the people that wander that area are very sketchy....

Anyways, I had an old knife I wasnt going to sell so I made a sheath for it, sort of a 4" blade drop point with a not so great handle, the leather for the sheath was from a couch cushion I found in a creek, it smelled like butt but I gave it a bunch of mink oil so its more like mink butt now. Thats not great but im running out of my good leather.

I dont think ill get paid, but I might ask the guy to find me a pecan log or something like that. If propane were free I could make more knives for free, ive never been rewarded for doing nice things but its so easy to get punished for doing anything wrong. I would like to reward people for being good, but not so much that they expect rewards. More like if I saw someone picking up trash in a park or any of the little things anyone can do I would like to give them something,  say thanks, and tell them it might never happen again.

• Like 2

@steven smith  being a tree wizard yourself, I'm sure you'll recognize this quote. 

"Some believe it only great power that  can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." 

~Gandalf 

• Like 1

Tried something new, the handle and sheath is from the same brown Linen, but the handle was a rolled micarta and the sheath normal flat micarta so unfortunately not quite the same effect.
Still, I think it worked, just needs a leather frog and retention strap

IMG_20190609_155738[1].jpg

IMG_20190609_155812[1].jpg

IMG_20190609_155852[1].jpg

• Like 4