What did you do in your shop today?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

Yesterday, and not my shop.

Finally got my bench cleared off and back on some knives. This one was fun, but glad to see it done.   My oldest grandson turned six this weekend and I promised to make him a box for his tre

Posted Images

Working on a new commission... roughly shaped, still needs finish forging and grinding... but I like where it is going.

DSCN0393_zpsmekkohvl.jpg

Also messing with the serpent pattern, but no photos yet. I think I may get a blade out of it worthy of showing.

• Like 1

Any blade, that anyone makes, is worthy of showing in this forum.

That goes double for you!

Finished packing up my shop/home of 36 years(band-saw going tomorrow). Sad to leave, but on to the next adventure. I'll put up a pic of the new shop soon.

Here are before and after:

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

Wow Jim! That must have been a bit of an emotional moment.

Luck in the move. I hope the new shop is an environment that helps you to keep producing the wonders that you do!

Dave

i made a Momma bear, poppa bear, baby bear set of Mini spears for a present for a friend.

13184829_10153399667495146_15222249_o.jpg

forge welded up a san mai billet made a new fire poker and did a lot of what i call "piddlin' "

I burned my stomach, started a rail spike cutlass and finished a wrought iron ring. Hopefully I will get more done on Friday but no more burns.

tumblr_o6zbohrtEO1qz9mvno1_1280.jpg

Hahaha, that look on your face :lol:

• Like 1

Finished packing up my shop/home of 36 years(band-saw going tomorrow). Sad to leave, but on to the next adventure. I'll put up a pic of the new shop soon.

Here are before and after:

attachicon.gifIMG_1067.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG_1234.jpeg

Wow Jim. That's a big event. It's times that that I keep saying to myself:

When one door closes a window opens.

Good luck in the new shop. Hope to see you up and running soon.

Well, it wasn't today, but over the weekend I hand sanded the Bowie in this pic.

Templates & Finished1_opt.jpg

and I made this 50 layer billet of 1095 & 15N20. 8" x 1.5"x 1.5"

Billet.JPG

I made a video of the forging process with the press. I still have to edit it and post it to Youtube. Stay tuned.

I did nothing in my shop today! I had a not so great day at work yesterday and wasn't in a good mindset for the shop and ended up ruining a wooden handle and sheath for a smaller blade. It was a shame to mess up a really nice piece of cherry but lucky for me I didn't mess the blade up at all. It was a wedged in design and not epoxied at all so it'll be an easy recovery.

Yikes, Tim I know the feeling. I tend to stay out of the shop when I'm in a bad mood. It reflects in the quality of my work.

Travis! Hell yeah. That reminds me I need to get a press...

Edited by Austin_Lyles

2nd week in blacksmithing- my first pair of tongs. Got a good start on them today

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite in my shop, but I abused my midlife crisis toy to pull down an old playhouse. The integral towing hook actually made this my best option.

Oh, yes I did investigate turning this thing into a smithy. New construction a would be much better.

IMG_20160527_175317677.jpg

IMG_20160527_175503447.jpg

Edited by Brian Dougherty

I made this quench tub from a 5 gal. pail, a 2' length of 6" duct pipe, and 50 lbs. of Quikrete. I bedded the pipe in a 2" layer of quikrete, and then filled around the outside of the pipe.

So I may attempt my very first quench tonight or tomorrow. I have a seax blade I forged out of 1095 ready to go. The downside is that the blade is probably too thin (the spine is about .12"), so I fully expect it to warp or crack. If so I'll still finish the blade for the learning experience.

Quench Tub

Brian: That's why Ford makes pickup trucks......

JH: That's a unique way to go about things! I like it.

Anyway, This was yesterday:

Knives 3.JPG

Today I decided to take the "tough it out" challenge.

Outside temp:

Outside temp 2.JPG

Temp inside the shop (after sweeping up when all else was done)

Inside temp.JPG

What exactly got done:

Bars 1.JPG

I had a similarly hot day yesterday, I was working on a handle that was giving me trouble. I ended up getting into the poorly drilled out tang hole from the front of the handle, plugged the hole with a dowel ( looked pretty good) then I worked into the same darn hole, filled the bike thing with wood filler and will see how it looks today. May end up using it for a personal blade.

my dad wanted me to UP-cycle one of his old folders with a cheap chinese blade on it. So this is what i came up with. My stamp is kicking my own ass but lucky for me this was just for practice and for my pops lol.

Surprisingly not as hard as i thought it was going to be!

13313701_10153437491655146_1622423882_o.jpg

This is how the patch looks so far, should I ditch it and make a new one, or stick with this one?

Now that is the question isn't it. If you are asking what I really think, then ditch it. I will not accept "good enough" from myself. Even if it was something that I was making for myself, I wouldn't accept the flaw. The way that I see it is that if I let substandard work come out of my hands, then it will happen again. And again, until I have gotten to the point where I have let shoddy work become a part of what I do.

Anyhow, that may be a bit more than you were asking :)

• Like 1

I'm with Wes on this. If you accept this as it is and it becomes your personal knife (let's say it's your EDC) What happens?

This is what happens: You are in a setting with people you know and some folks you don't know and you (or one of your friends) bring up the subject of knife making. Folks are interested and ask what kind of knives you make. You produce this knife from your belt and the first words out of your mouth are about how jacked the handle is and explanations that you wouldn't do this on a knife you were selling. Not much of a conversation starter, more of a conversation ender.

• Like 1