Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Nice one Gerhard!

• Thanks 1

Had a busy day. Found out that one of the knives I’ve been working on was hard for about .25” up the bevel. Apparently, I didn’t get 85% of the blade up to heat the first time. Got a little POed and decided screw it I’ll heat treat again after it had been finished ground and the edge was about .01-.015 thousandths. Normalized twice, quenched and then clamped between two boards. Came out straight as can be with only a tiny wave on the edge and a small amount of decarb that ground out. And skates like glass now too. Love it when something that you’ve put a lot of work into already just listens and does what you want it to.

7E1D83BF-F7BC-4CD2-95D1-246D366B72A8.jpeg

Banged out this other one also

66BF1551-FE43-4ADC-A1AB-09B7CE86C1D5.jpeg

And we moved my dads 2200 lb cast iron 1932/33 Dragon sailboat keel to the other barn. It’s recommended to not have your foot be under one of the rollers :wacko: ...it hurts

6DCDB6B9-AF12-4B09-BD07-DFB496E1162B.jpeg

• Like 1

Score of the day. Element's busted but for 35$ I won't be picky :lol:. I'll just make a new one out of nichrome wire, slap a PID and t/c and call it a day. 

IMG_20190610_121452.jpg

IMG_20190610_121546.jpg

Score!

Designed my next, Let’s hope this one turns out well, my last 2 knives were supposed to be my carry knife, but they don’t look presentable.  

This one is thin 80crv2 and it will hopefully have some blue resin/maple burl hybrid block scales, anyone know were I can get some of that?  

image.jpg

• Like 1

After a successful etch in the hydrochloric acid for the two stainless damascus blades I have been working on, I finished out the day by getting a load of handle wood blocks into the vacuum pot. There is some nice spaled eucalyptus in this lot.

gSLWdirl.jpg

17 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

Designed my next, Let’s hope this one turns out well, my last 2 knives were supposed to be my carry knife, but they don’t look presentable.  

This one is thin 80crv2 and it will hopefully have some blue resin/maple burl hybrid block scales, anyone know were I can get some of that?  

image.jpg

Go on facebook and look up Rob Carpet and RCI.....Rob Carper  Industries. Fell free to tell him I sent ha if ya want.

7 hours ago, Kreg Whitehead said:

Go on facebook and look up Rob Carpet and RCI.....Rob Carper  Industries. Fell free to tell him I sent ha if ya want.

About the hybrid blocks?   

Tried my hand at tooling with actual tooling tools (instead of my old kit of screwdriver, butterknife, pizza cutter, fork, and drillbit). I kinda suck. 

20190612_225449.jpg

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

About the hybrid blocks?   

Not sure what you are asking. He has pretty much everything. Straight burl....hybrid....straight alumalight.

He puts everything in the alumalight from seashells,opal,malachite, copper flake, aluminum mesh for a lizard skin look ect. His chola cactus scales are some of my fav.

At Zeb.....it looks pretty good to me. I am bored at work....I may edit in a few pics of Robs handle material on some of my blades.

hybrid.jpg

chola.jpg

Edited by Kreg Whitehead

This is my vacuum chamber (built by dad) powered by a fridge's compressor.....until that went...turns out my pontoon boat's pump works just as well :P

Messed up the sharpening, it is sharp........and I think I can fix my mess.

The polisher slammed that burl-first into the cement floor......solid, strong, good to go. Cuts dry biltong like a dream B)

IMG_20190610_210058[1].jpg

IMG_20190611_170543[1].jpg

IMG_20190613_195231[1].jpg

IMG_20190613_195256[1].jpg

IMG_20190613_195427[1].jpg

• Like 2

More progress... I fixed my fubar flower. this has to be done tomarrow. It'll be tight. Still need to make the buckle (after 10 hours at work). Its a waist belt thingy for my sister's engagement photos. 

20190613_230857.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good!  Got a sort of Pre-Raphaelite vibe to it.  Kind of Burne-Jonesy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks! I want farmuliar with the guy, but looked him up. Any more complements like that and I wont be able to fit a shirt over my fat head. 

Edited by Zeb Camper
Sounded wrong

nice looking leather Zeb...just a tip for smoothing things out...after using your pear shader and beveller tools to outline the design go back over the bevels with a sculpting spoon and it will make your design smooth

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jeff! 

Here's the end product. Best I could do with the time I had. 

20190614_220748.jpg

20190614_220741.jpg

20190614_220738.jpg

20190614_221837.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Like 2

I've been working on a second slip-joint, and decided to try a bit of filework on the spring

IMG_20190615_152629684_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190616_095122817.jpg

Here is the blade for it...

IMG_20190616_154934302_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

That's some very constant and precise filing. Well done Brian!

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 9:11 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Thanks Jeff! 

Here's the end product. Best I could do with the time I had. 

20190614_220748.jpg

20190614_220741.jpg

20190614_220738.jpg

20190614_221837.jpg

I like that look a lot...the hand forged buckle is a really cool touch too

• Like 2

I taught a kid how to heat treat. 

I thought it went really well. I showed him how to spark test using a wide range of iron and steels, what grains should not look like, how to spot decalescense, and refine that grain in normalization, how to harden, and finally, what grain should look like.  

Something about teaching I really enjoy... 

Imagine, as a kid, finding an old vacant smithy; full of the finest blades you had seen. Things of old, of legend, and beauty. Imagine the joy... But, I say that smithy is real; it just awaits the smith... I hope I helped the kid find him today. 

• Like 2

Turned off mobile data and wifi on my phone and got some work done, somehow my wrist hurts more from the draw filing that it normally does after forging.

I don't know how much patience we're supposed to have, but it's established fact that I suck at selling, so.......

3rd round over several months, 2 days in I had the blade marked on the steel when the dude starts in about tip shapes, and the next moment I'm looking at something completely and utterly different.

Going to the physio this afternoon, I expect walking & such will be out of the question afterwards, so I'll get back to him then :P

Nothing in the shop but spent the weekend at my grandmas cottage on Otsego lake trying out my dads newest addition to his collection, a one man Laser sailboat. This thing rips right across :D

57D9B9B3-A40E-4C08-B3D7-A2C2A8BAE9F2.jpeg

4D375F18-709C-4E16-8094-0F1E66B2B289.jpeg

• Like 1

Yesterday, I made some tools in preparation for a forging project

Pixlr_20190623075718010.jpg

I had to clear out the shop, to make room for an anniversary party - including the 250 kg anvil...