What did you do in your shop today?

8 hours ago, Joshua States said:

forgive me if this seems harsh

Forgiven, I would much rather have this than beat around the bush and misunderstand what you’re saying. I did not have a full written plan to follow, but had a good picture in my brain that I wanted to make. It’s one of the things I struggle with, drawing on paper the full design. Plus, it’s the first one of this style and guard piece, so that’s probably where these oddities come from. Still am thankful for the support and suggestions.

big flat spot on the belly of the handle and this big point at the heel with a very sharp angle.

I’ll round the heel some to soften it and blend the handle.

And on the guard would you suggest a thinner elliptical going down the bevel? Right now I think its at about .5” wide.

A thin spacer in this location might help

I did think about that but decided against it. You’re right, a copper spacer would have helped justify the copper pin.

7 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

See the subtle differences that make it look more finished?

Thank you!! A picture is worth a thousand words indeed. I’m definitely going to round the butt and top back. Can I steal that drawing for reference later?

Edited by Mike Ward
Can’t read
  • Like 1
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

We made some hearth steel a couple of weekends ago. Ran into some issues at first but Emiliano came to the rescue with sage advice. Here is a knife from the material after heat treatment. 

This long weekend I managed to get one of the bunch of three folders I'm working on ready to add scales to prior to final assembly.  The other two got new blades (one of them twice when the dovetail c

Posted Images

On 7/6/2019 at 7:17 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Getting there... Spent all my motor money on a guitar.

"You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?  ...ok, I can see that"

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

"You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?  ...ok, I can see that"

It's hard out there for a pimp, man.  

Finished last night. I probably should have sanded the handle down to 600 grit rather than a buffed finish.

large.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2500.jpglarge.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_24f9.jpglarge.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2509.jpglarge.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2512.jpg

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Mike Ward said:

And on the guard would you suggest a thinner elliptical going down the bevel? Right now I think its at about .5” wide.

If it was my knife, I would reverse the curve and thin it in both width and thickness. (See attached photo)

11 hours ago, Mike Ward said:

Thanks man! I can’t draw worth a turd

You should do it anyway. Even a crude drawing is better than nothing and the only way to get better is to keep doing it. I'm no where near as good as Zeb, but I still keep drawing them out.

Guard design.jpg

1 hour ago, jheinen said:

Finished last night. I probably should have sanded the handle down to 600 grit rather than a buffed finish.

Looks pretty good in the pic! What are the specs?

7 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Looks pretty good in the pic! What are the specs?

Blade length is 7", 12" overall. 5160 steel, linen micarta scales with red liners, and stainless pins. I don't make many full-tang knives, but I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out. 

6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

D'oh!  I thought they did that in Hustle and Flow, too...  getting forgetful in my old age.  :(

I'm pretty sure the blonde traded something else entirely for a microphone in Hustle and Flow. 

1 hour ago, HSJackson said:

I'm pretty sure the blonde traded something else entirely for a microphone in Hustle and Flow. 

And it was nothing like the Bluesmobile

Here, humidity has reached 99% earlier this week with a felt temperature of 43°c. And it can drop below -30°c in January/February. No wonder the roads are all messed up....

started on some steel handled folder prototypes. Figured out that if I don't cut the relief for the stop pin, the handles work as both a holder and a stop while grinding the blades, which makes everything much easier... it's a nice change of pace...

steel folders wip 1.jpg

Last night I forged a hunting knife for my boss and ground it today. Made a template of the drawing he liked, then forged pretty close to shape. And I rehandled the chef knife I made in a class because it was off center from the blade.

31EFE759-68A7-4358-9EB9-16047BADC556.jpeg

24539071-7726-44B3-BFB3-08519858F117.jpeg

15278AEB-6EC8-4DAA-8279-99A5231DEBA4.jpeg

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Mike Ward said:

Made a template of the drawing he liked, then forged pretty close to shape.

Nice work on both of them.