What did you do in your shop today?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

No knife work since right after Christmas, I've been in furniture mode.  The backstory:  I won a couple of steel scuba tanks with the bottom cut off at an iron-in-the-hat at my local blacksmith's guil

Been working on a blade for the past few days. It's a 9 1/4" 9 bar serpent core dagger - silver steel edges with a serpent of alternating 15n20 and 11 layer twist set in mild steel:  

Posted Images

Tree stuff!

2 handrails, they dont have the cap rails and labs tongues on yet, but I'll throw those on later today. 

They will bolt onto the side of a house and down a set of steps. The viney bits will get leaves tacked onto the ends to finish them off. 

I wanted to do a cooler design, but as always, the boss said it'd cost too much. 

20190717_123000.jpg

• Like 3

Had a problem with my power hammer.  So I decided to repair/upgrade.  They way I had the connecting rod to spring linkage was dependent on the Rubber's inside the leaf spring to maintain stiffness.  Well guess what ?  The desert dried out the rubber.  So as a result, the connecting rod linkage was causing a slapping effect.  The rod would either move the linkage forward or backward during use.  Wasn't any fun.  So I fixed it.   I added a Linkage stabilizer I guess you could call it to stiffen the spring linkage, and upgraded the connection to the turn buckle/height adjustment.  The turn buckle was connected using a 3/4" grade 8 bolt, but it was starting to wear down, so I changed it to a 1.5" shaft with grease fittings.  Seems to be running smooth now.   Now I just need to shorten the connecting rod by a few inches so I can get full height again.

Not running it at full speed.  Seems like I can get 3-4 hits a second.  

Edited by Bruno

Wait!  A chainsaw pack?  I thought you Scandinavians still used axes for everything! :P

Seriously though,  it looks like a nice pack although it also implies a lot of hard work coming your way!

;) We  evolved Brian ! Though the pack does have a designated axe pouch :D Indeed hard work incomming -> got 2 acres of densely wooded land in need of clearing ^^ Nice and secluded, just the way I like my work :)

Edited by Troels Saabye
8 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Stihl, Husqvarna, or Jonsered?  Or something else?  I learned long ago to never buy a cheap chainsaw.

I have 3 cheap chainsaws. Two of them work. Had them for years. One turns over real nice but won't run.

I'm installing the rebuilt regulators on my oxy-acetylene rig. $65 and they look brand new.

IMG_20190719_181851498.jpg

13 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Stihl, Husqvarna, or Jonsered?  Or something else?  I learned long ago to never buy a cheap chainsaw.

I don't have a preference, I've only used Stihl, and some no name junk - managed to break 4 of those before my father realized quality over quantity :P so he bought a Stihl, a smaller one 362, going to buy the  880 soon we have too many 32-42" trees

Now we’re cooking on gas

A08A5735-1DF6-448A-9E12-AEE8DF61D1A7.jpeg

Hit 1300’c/2370’f with only the back covered no problem.

• Like 3

Well, my power hammer repairs worked beautifully for about 3 heats.    Then the Linkage stabilizer snapped off.  Guess it wasn't thick enough.  I got some sucker rod which should be plenty tough, or some 3/4" square stock.  That might work better.  

Since I had the forge on, I pounded these two out of some leaf spring.  Going for a "cai dao" , or chinese chefs knife.  So they will be on the thinner side.

It's nice sometimes to just use the hammer and anvil.  Good reminder of why we don't need bigger tools, but like them anyway.  The power hammer would have had these done 2 hours quicker.

Cleavers.jpg

Edited by Bruno

7 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Now we’re cooking on gas

Nice looking forge Charles.

• Thanks 1

Finished a small hunter, a small scramseax, and mostly forged out a short Messer in the vein of Pieter Bruegel's paintings. Normally I wouldn't forge in weather like what we've been having, but I volunteered to do demos at a summer festival :wacko:

MVIMG_20190720_140705.jpg

MVIMG_20190720_141116.jpg

MVIMG_20190720_164137.jpg

• Like 3

Can we all say "stress riser" boys and girls?  I knew you could :)

Actually, I had a pretty generous radius where it broke.  I got greedy with a test fit of the other parts after only one tempering cycle, and it snapped.  Oh well, the grain was nice, although I don't know if that matters for a spring.

IMG_20190721_152701946.jpg

IMG_20190721_152759720_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

On 7/20/2019 at 4:27 PM, Joshua States said:

Nice looking forge Charles.

Thanks Joshua. Hope to be entering the PW world soon.

Charles your forge design / shape caught my eye, especially the Venturi. May I ask who the supplier is as I would like to see what one would cost. Also if you are running propane or natural gas, how many pounds or kgs. did it take to reach 2600 degrees. I am building another PW forge as. Am tired of the scale from this blown ribbon forge I built. Thank you in advance.

Gary LT

On duty at the fire station tonight and I'm tired of the disgracefully dull knives in the kitchen drawer.  I brought my sharpening kit with me to rectify the situation.20190721_190857.jpg

Took me over an hour to get these back in shape (had to resort to the bench grinder for a couple of them), but they're good to go now.

20190721_190735.jpg

1 hour ago, Gary LT said:

Charles your forge design / shape caught my eye, especially the Venturi. May I ask who the supplier is as I would like to see what one would cost. Also if you are running propane or natural gas, how many pounds or kgs. did it take to reach 2600 degrees. I am building another PW forge as. Am tired of the scale from this blown ribbon forge I built. Thank you in advance.

Gary LT

If you have a lot of scale buildup, you should be fine tuning your mixture. Do you have a needle valve on the gas and a gate valve on the blower line?

Hi Joshua, 

I use a needle valve and a brass valve gate. Both will give me pinpoint delivery of air & propane. I experiment over and over to light and keep the combustion in the forge itself, using 2300 kaowool and multiple coatings of kastolite. (1/4”) I can light and maintain combustion with 5 lbs./ft2 however no wiggle room to lessen or increase the propane or air as the combustion goes out. Then it’s a nightmare to re-ignite. I changed all piping and and couplings and still the same issues. Initially I forged wrought to 1095 when I first built it, 1084, 1095 as rat-tail joins but excessive amounts of scale. The inside dimension is approx. 4” square and I stack enough to maintain heat on the billet. 

Beats me but I am rather sick of getting started on a project and then tweaking in vane. Thanks Joshua any continued advice is welcome!

Gary LT

On 7/22/2019 at 12:06 AM, Gary LT said:

Gary LT

Hi Gary. The forge is home built from a decommissioned 13kg/29lb propane tank. It’s lined with 2” Vitcas ceramic fibre blanket and castable. The venturi is a 1” BSP long venturi Amal butane injector (http://amalcarb.co.uk/amal-gas-injectors.html) as advocated by Tim Gunn; fitted with a 1” BSP stainless pipe. I run it off a 47kg/104lb bottle. Unfortunately I have no idea how much it took as I don’t have a way of weighing the bottle - not much I would think. I was really just doing the burn in so had it on and off a couple of times when I decided to stick the thermocouple in to see what the temperature was. It was running at 1 bar at the time and there is plenty of scope to play. The Amal injector as a lovely knob for accurately adjusting your air intake and a set screw to keep it there when you are happy. Hope this helps.

Thank you Charles! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I do remember the name Amal which I had seen before, so I will look them up. At one bar the equivalent atmospheric pressure in lbs./ft2 is 14.5lbs. That is certainly do-able to forge weld in my humble shop. I have a smaller forge for every day forging. I do thank you.

Gary LT