Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

You’re most welcome Gary. Tim Gunn is the one who put me on to them. He suggested a 3/4” burner is good for about 300-350 cubic inches to welding temperature and a 1” is probably good for 600 cu in. I have the latter though I suspect my forge is probably closer to 350 cu in. Make sure to get the butane injector though, not the propane one. They also never seem to have them in stock but if you order one they will contact you for payment when they do have one in and then ship it.

With one more question Charles, You recommend the butane however I use propane gas so what have you found to be the difference? Or perhaps butane is more readily available where you are? (They do have propane injectors in stock). Just trying to eliminate any errors on my part! 

Thanks, Gary LT

Posted (edited)

No, I use propane. So you need the butane injector and propane gas. Something to do with the ‘jetting’ which makes it better for forges than the propane model they offer. Honestly I don’t know the detail. I was interrogating Tim when I started looking at building this and moved the conversation to a thread here but Tim’s been busy and is still working in stuff about it I believe so it is sitting dormant for now.

Edited by Charles du Preez

Scored this hardness tester for a hundred bucks. It's got a few adaptors and two calibration blocks but it's missing the diamond penetrator. It's a 4JS from Wilson. The S standing for Superficial, it was built for testing thin stuff. I started looking for a new penetrator but those superficial testers supposedly require special ones and they seem scarce. I guess that was the catch...

IMG_20190728_164744.jpg

• Like 2

Joël, maybe you can use a standard penetrator and recalibrate it.  It would be pretty questionable, but it might work in the relatively narrow range of hardnesses that are of interest to the knifemaker.

Then again, I don't know what I am talking about!

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Joël, maybe you can use a standard penetrator and recalibrate it.  It would be pretty questionable, but it might work in the relatively narrow range of hardnesses that are of interest to the knifemaker.

Then again, I don't know what I am talking about!

It's possible, though they wrote directly on the machine it requires "special "N" Brale diamond penetrators for use on hardened steel or the accuracy may be greatly compromised"

18 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

I started looking for a new penetrator but those superficial testers supposedly require special ones and they seem scarce.

Sun-Tec is our supplier of choice for our hardness testing equipment (consumables, servicing, calibrations, and some new equipment even).  

1 hour ago, Jerrod Miller said:

Sun-Tec is our supplier of choice for our hardness testing equipment (consumables, servicing, calibrations, and some new equipment even).  

Thanks a lot Jerrod! I managed to find a used one for cheap. If it doesn't work, I'll certainly contact Sun-Tec!

On 7/6/2019 at 7:17 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Getting there... Spent all my motor money on a guitar. Hobbies are like stray dogs... You take one in, love it very much, then spend all yur money on it. 

Just an update: after a ton of 12 bar blues and playing scales I learned to play the intro to "into the void" by black sabbath! 

It's not very good, I think I'm slapping those strings too hard, and my amp sucks, but I'm having a load of fun! My index finger hates me though!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zeb Camper said:

Just an update: after a ton of 12 bar blues and playing scales I learned to play the intro to "into the void" by black sabbath! 

It's not very good, I think I'm slapping those strings too hard, and my amp sucks, but I'm having a load of fun! My index finger hates me though!

Let's see the axe dude!

Edited by Joshua States

Finally my 1800 litre retort is taking shape :D though it still looks a little rough

20190719_132131.jpg

20190719_132136.jpg

I'm interested to see it working Troels! 

9 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Let's see the axe dude!

Not much to see!

It's a squire strat affinity. It's a real treat to play vs that accoustic with mile high action and heavy strings. Borrowed that one from my sister who was using it as decor lol. I've been using it to toughen my fingers. 

At some point I want to put heavier strings on it, or mess with the pickups or do something to give it a richer, deeper tone. The amp i got is a fender, but its second hand and pops and fuzzes out if you play too loud. 

I talked to a guy I know last night about trading lessons on making guitars for making knives... Not sure if it's a good idea. 

20190731_074310.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 12:45 PM, Joël Mercier said:

Thanks a lot Jerrod! I managed to find a used one for cheap. If it doesn't work, I'll certainly contact Sun-Tec!

I received the used "N Brale" diamond penetrator today so I did a few tests with the calibrated blocks. It reads around 3hrc below the actual hardness of both blocks. At least the results are consistent. Now I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust it so I won't have to add 3 everytime. 

Another thing that's bothering me is that I have to convert the results from "Rockwell superficial" to HRC. I guess it's no big deal since I paid a total of 130$ for the machine and the diamond penetrator.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

I guess it's no big deal since I paid a total of 130$ for the machine and the diamond penetrator.

I'd certainly count that as a win!  

22 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust it so I won't have to add 3 everytime. 

22 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

I guess it's no big deal since I paid a total of 130$ for the machine and the diamond penetrator.

For $130, I wouldn't mind doing the math...….just sayin' :D

Roughed out the handle for the "competition" blade a I had done the mustard patina demo on. Besides the weird ricasso area caused by a forging mistake I tried to cover up, I think I like this knife. Can't wait to try it! 

IMG_20190804_151646.jpg

• Like 3

Dang it Joël! You're getting really good man! Professional looking blade! 

I carved today. Just need to do the other side of the handle to match and then inlay the silver wire wrap. 

20190804_204648.jpg

• Like 3

I intended to forge a 6" drop point hunter this weekend, but broke one of my own rules - I didn't really have a pattern, and sort of let the blade do what it wanted to.  I ended up with quite a bit more length than intended.  I't looking more like a small Bowie at this point :rolleyes:

IMG_7411.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeb Camper said:

Dang it Joël! You're getting really good man! Professional looking blade! 

I carved today. Just need to do the other side of the handle to match and then inlay the silver wire wrap. 

Very nice man! You make me want to try wood carving. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I intended to forge a 6" drop point hunter this weekend, but broke one of my own rules - I didn't really have a pattern, and sort of let the blade do what it wanted to.  I ended up with quite a bit more length than intended.  I't looking more like a small Bowie at this point :rolleyes:

Looks like it wanted to be dressed up instead of going hunting :D

Wood.

I hate wood, why do you guys use it all the time?

The past few days I've been putting handles in my last two chef's knife attempts, light blue micarta bolster with Wild Olive wood on the smaller one and rolled red micarta with Mopani wood on the other.

Only thing that went wrong on the Wild Olive is a small crack on the rear end, had to file in facets top and bottom to hide that, relatively successful.

First piece of Mopani I was trimming smaller when I found the tang hole went to far to the lower end and I was through to the cavity.

Second piece......same story on I found out after glue-up :angry:

Tang is long enough so I cut off half the Mopani and glued on a piece if Gumtree burl........which also cracked at the rear end :angry:

Good news is I could trim a few mm's off to make the burl and the micarta bolster the same size and the colour transition worked out great from dark to light.

Still, my hate for wood grows......at least no allergic reactions this time round.....

4 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Wood.

I hate wood, why do you guys use it all the time?

I've cracked a great many handles myself! Wood requires the most delicate treatment and that you dont look at it funny... Poplar and maple are harder to crack than most though. I hear elm is the same. 

I think it looks good when it's done though!

I forged out a big 8.5” long and 1 7/8” wide chef knife for my brother if he likes it. Started out with 6.5” of 80crv2 and did most of the forging Saturday evening, began to grind and realized it was about twice the thickness all the way around. Finished it up Sunday morning and did all the rough grinding.

17305880-ECD7-4FE2-8FC0-9EDB3538030B.jpeg

and the belated start of my KITH knife. I’m in no way, shape or form any where close to alright enough to make a folder so a little ~3 in fixed blade is what I got going. I am going to mix it up the handle by using different kinds of wood. Thinking about laminating strips of maple, walnut, and Padauk then cutting those into disks and stacking them in a spiral. What do you think?

F8D1347A-C87B-40B8-A7C8-D2E6F9F4D467.jpeg

Sounds interesting. Go for it.