Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

On 8/5/2019 at 6:13 PM, Gerhard Gerber said:

Wood.

I hate wood, why do you guys use it all the time?

The past few days I've been putting handles in my last two chef's knife attempts, light blue micarta bolster with Wild Olive wood on the smaller one and rolled red micarta with Mopani wood on the other.

Only thing that went wrong on the Wild Olive is a small crack on the rear end, had to file in facets top and bottom to hide that, relatively successful.

First piece of Mopani I was trimming smaller when I found the tang hole went to far to the lower end and I was through to the cavity.

Second piece......same story on I found out after glue-up :angry:

Tang is long enough so I cut off half the Mopani and glued on a piece if Gumtree burl........which also cracked at the rear end :angry:

Good news is I could trim a few mm's off to make the burl and the micarta bolster the same size and the colour transition worked out great from dark to light.

Still, my hate for wood grows......at least no allergic reactions this time round.....

Stabilising may fix all these woes Gerhard

I swear I'm going to turn out a blade before too long, but I had one more iron job I couldn't turn down.

Some of us here had a vacation discussion recently and mentioned Cades Cove here in East Tennessee. Some of the descendants of the original residents have formed the Cades Cove Preservation Association and maintain a museum of Cove artifacts.

They had recently obtained an antique bell and requested a functional stand be constructed for it so that it could be displayed and rang at homecomings and other events.

I made the frame out of 1" square, forge twisted and arc welded joints. The wood was some old boards I had on hand.

bell stand.jpg

My daughter gave me a good plug on her blog. You can read more here if you're interested:

https://www.jandrfarmstn.com/post/the-beauty-of-a-bell

Don

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

Stabilising may fix all these woes Gerhard

I know Garry, I stabilized the Peppertree burl using Polyester resin, and I found out how strong it is when the polisher grabbed and threw it burl end first into the cement floor.

I've experimented but I've been unable to find anything locally I could use for dense woods, I do have a working vacuum chamber. 

My neighbour came over yesterday afternoon for some forging, I put the bend in the handle of my 3rd blacksmith's knife ( a la Lin Rhea) which of course turned out to be the most problematic so far.......thought it was supposed to get easier with practice?

I had an idea, I know my 5160 chef's knives are a waste of time, so I figured if I could draw out a bearing race wide enough 52100 might be a more worthy effort.

I used an inner race because it's an experiment and it has more material to work with.  We got it flattened and worked out considerably, but there are edges on the outsides and the one on the thicker end formed a cold shut we couldn't avoid.

I do suspect, like my cleavers, this is not worth the effort.

12 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I know Garry, I stabilized the Peppertree burl using Polyester resin, and I found out how strong it is when the polisher grabbed and threw it burl end first into the cement floor.

I've experimented but I've been unable to find anything locally I could use for dense woods, I do have a working vacuum chamber. 

I have two vacuum pumps and run them alternativey for 12 hours each for the 3 or 4 days it can take to fully vacate the dense materials  like ebony and giraffe bone. 

Finished this I think... i was gonna do some wire wrapping but i think it'd be too much. 

Thoughts? 

20190808_174524.jpg

20190808_174533.jpg

• Like 4

Honestly, since you left the room for it, it feel like it needs something there.  I agree though, a full blown wire wrap might be too much.  Maybe a single inlayed ring of twisted wire?  Sweet carving btw, and I love the pattern in the blade. 

• Like 1

Somewhat of a thing in the shop - I got my chainsaw pack from True North ^^ best  way I've ever carried a saw around :) no more burning forearms from carrying fuel and saw :Prygsæk.jpg

11 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Mayhaps it needs some Filigree... Thanks! 

Or a ring of pins set flush?  It just needs a small pop of ornament there...

• Like 1

I took the day off work to forge and file a couple of blades. There's the chef's knife I posted a WIP for and left handed chef's knife for myself.

IMG_20190809_165609-800x600.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Or a ring of pins set flush?  It just needs a small pop of ornament there...

Oh, that sounds good too... What color do you reckon? I got some copper romex.

I'm partial to silver, but it's your knife.

On 8/6/2019 at 3:59 AM, Charles du Preez said:

Sounds interesting. Go for it.

Yeah there's that. Push yourself. Try new things. Take risks and test your limits.      These are things I do wen I have ample time, not when I'm on a tight schedule.

Het Zeb, that blade looks multi-bar twists. Like 7 bars? Nice welding job. 

2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Het Zeb, that blade looks multi-bar twists. Like 7 bars?

I think it was 8 idk. 

I took a right and left hand twist to start, but the weld failed. So I separated the 2, forged them flat, and folded them onto themselves. So it's a stack of 4 total at this point. Left left, right right. Drew those out, cut them in half and restacked making an 8 layer. So left, left right, right, left, left, right, right.  

A lot of people seem to dig the look; a pleasent outcome for what seemed like a trainwreck!

9 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

I think it was 8 idk. 

I took a right and left hand twist to start, but the weld failed. So I separated the 2, forged them flat, and folded them onto themselves. So it's a stack of 4 total at this point. Left left, right right. Drew those out, cut them in half and restacked making an 8 layer. So left, left right, right, left, left, right, right.  

A lot of people seem to dig the look; a pleasent outcome for what seemed like a trainwreck!

I could tell it had been drawn out because of the space between the stars. Still looks good though.

• Thanks 1

Nice work on the bell stand, Don; quite an honor to work on something of historical substance. I am related to the Gregory family of Cades Cove.

Posted (edited)

Not exactly I’m the shop but I’ve taught myself how to reverse sear steak, and I’ve pretty much got it down.   cooked 12 filet Mignon tonight..   there I little to dead for me, but when I’m dealing with my extended family that provided the beef, I had to cook it the way they wanted.   Don’t know if the pictures show it, but I got a nice crust on top.

The number 12 is not a typo, I cooked them in batches of three or four. And of course I didn’t get to eat any..<_<F1B1F706-3149-4F97-96F8-CDE931766F6E.jpeg

654877AA-59E0-416C-8AE5-6AA30D8FABB0.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

I didnt do this today, but I requested advice earlier here about this knife... does it need a buttcap? Made of silver, wrought, or damascus? I added silver wire btw. 

20190811_224122.jpg

20190811_223507.jpg

• Like 4

NOTHING!!!!! :D

I got a free weekend on the farm and got paid to use my IT skills for a bit..... :ph34r:

Had a fascinating conversation with razor-sharp 69 year old man about knives, specifically what he uses on the farm, edge geometry and sharpening.

He touched on sharpening sheep shears (and Victorinox scissors :lol: ) but the fascinating bit  for me was the knives used for skinning Karakul lambs.

He has some incorrect notions, but there's so much to learn from somebody that has used and uses a knife everyday, more than most.

Spend 2 hours reshaping the bevels on a hoof-knife, not a fan of SS blades -.-

17 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I didnt do this today, but I requested advice earlier here about this knife... does it need a buttcap? Made of silver, wrought, or damascus? I added silver wire btw

I really like it the way it is, Zeb, but if youre going to do one, my vote is one silver, to match the inlay. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I didnt do this today, but I requested advice earlier here about this knife... does it need a buttcap? Made of silver, wrought, or damascus? I added silver wire btw. 

If anything, and like Will I don't think anything is necessary, but another wire inlay on the back end of the handle might look pretty cool.  But if you feel the buttcap is needed, silver or matching damascus.  

• Thanks 1

I say leave it alone, OR add a very small inlay, not a full buttcap.  Just my opinion.

• Thanks 1