What did you do in your shop today?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

No knife work since right after Christmas, I've been in furniture mode.  The backstory:  I won a couple of steel scuba tanks with the bottom cut off at an iron-in-the-hat at my local blacksmith's guil

Been working on a blade for the past few days. It's a 9 1/4" 9 bar serpent core dagger - silver steel edges with a serpent of alternating 15n20 and 11 layer twist set in mild steel:  

Posted Images

I get home from school today, and there’s an anvil sitting on my doorstep in a destroyed cardboard box, says it’s from some place in Texas... I’m happily surprised and also very confused at the same time. It looks cast, and I lightly whacked it with a hammer and it seems to have good rebound. 

C52DBA84-C3DB-4132-ABAF-06625E72D18B.jpeg

A743A02C-81BA-432F-9181-FD945ADA93D7.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

Although not exactly today, I did finish a prototype sheath for the wrought iron bowie already posted. Don’t like the “church window” look, so I’ll nix that idea. Thinking all black leather, some overlay and maybe some silver but smaller than shown.

Been wanting something like the “Scagel -Behring” knives fir a while so I made one. Aldo’s W2......great stuff to work with! Leather rings as a handle, .........well I know there’s been millions made but burnishing/polishing is too time consuming IMO.....I don’t plan on doing another for quite a while! (The little ding left on the reverse side of the blade is my touché mark “in code”, just in case someone should attempt piracy..:P)

Gary LT

4768AB21-960E-44EE-B1E8-22BF52E932D6.jpeg

2FD1D4F6-4EBC-435E-8A0F-C0E15C8F9DB1.jpeg

D6CC2C66-A601-47B8-B243-1FD96A89FAD1.jpeg

711C19E5-653E-4C4F-8681-BBF3845548CC.jpeg

On 9/10/2019 at 2:29 AM, Gary LT said:

Don’t like the “church window” look, so I’ll nix that idea.

I think the church window sheath would work better if the ‘window’ was stained dark too, perhaps a deep dark brown. The contrast looks too much to my eye.

Put a handle on a large'ish hammer head and lit the forge on the spur of the moment, my recent gift package included 2 small bearing races that have no ridges or grooves, nice & flat, so its just cut, uncurl and forge.

Yesterday was the 2nd session with these, forging done on two of what I hope will be 2 x paring knives and 2 x medium kitchen knives.

Currently soaking in vinegar.

Charles.... thank you! I see what you mean and I like this idea, even perhaps black on black maybe? Why not? What about the silver hardware...... does it “clash”?

Gary LT

I moved the old homemade hammer out and the new hammer in its place. I started drilling the anchor bolt holes until my hammer drill died.

Resized_20190911_204334(2).jpeg

• Like 2

I envy you sir!

I learned my hammers plastic guides swell shut when they get too hot recently... I literally run it till she slows to a stop. I gotta buy some bearing bronze eventually... 

Late last night I made some "plans"... Not blade related. Sort of a strat and a Gibson made a love child. I like the ergonomics of my strat, and while I like the look and sound of a Gibson, I've never played, nor held one. I wanna make a semi hollow body with some humbuckers. Damascus hardware may sneak it's way into the equation somewhere...I dont like the top of the neck the way it is... thoughts? 

20190911_234203.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Thanks 1

Get thee to a guitar store and play with a Gibson SG.  The action is about half the height of a Strat.  Then again I'm prejudiced, the SG is what Robbie Krieger (the Doors) played, and my brother had one for a few years and I thought it was worlds better feeling and easier to play than my buddy's Strat.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I found the SG to be too lightweight for my taste (although Frank Zappa loved it). I used to have a Gibson ES 335 semi-hollow body and loved it, until someone broke into my apartment and stole it. Now I have an Ibanez AR-50. It's a solid body that looks and sounds a lot like Carlos Santana's PRS- custom.

Much of your sound quality and sustain comes from the body of the guitar. If you play mostly fast little notes, with crisp sharp sound, a light solid body will be what you want. A really warm and full sound comes from a larger resonant mass in the body. This is where hollow and semi-hollow comes in (think Alvin Lee or BB King). Heavy solid bodies, like the Les Paul, Strats and Telecaster models provide a longer sustain (think Santana and Gilmore). Now a days, there are all sorts of electronic gizmos to get you where you want to be in terms of sound, but if you don't have a gazillion dollars to buy gizmos with, and just have a guitar and a simple amp, what guitar style and what amp are where you focus.

Edit: Another serious concern for sound and playability is the shape of the frets. Gibson guitars tend to have flat top frets. I found that these are easier to play than Fender's round top frets. The sound is also crisper with a round top than with a flat top.

Pickups: Don't get me started.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Thanks 1

Playing guitar is one of the few things I have wanted to do that I simply can't get any good at.  I am tone deaf, and have zero rhythm, but still try play every now and then.

However I do love guitars.  My tortoises are named Tony and Angus.  If you listen to my kind of music, then you know what guitar I have in the den :)

54 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Playing guitar is one of the few things I have wanted to do that I simply can't get any good at.  I am tone deaf, and have zero rhythm, but still try play every now and then.

However I do love guitars.  My tortoises are named Tony and Angus.  If you listen to my kind of music, then you know what guitar I have in the den :)

Angus young, and Toni Iommi!? I guess that's a les paul. 

I have no idea what that is Alan! I was born yesterday as far as guitars go. 

Edit: thanks for the reply Joshua. There's a lot to chew on there. I guess I should get my hands on more guitars before I go making one... 

I like the bluesy sound. I appreciate the fast paced solos and such, but I'm nowhere near ready for that yet. I'm still learning that sabbath song. I've gotten as far as the beginning of the first solo. The guitar I have even when tuned down just doesn't have the sound I'm after. 

Edited by Zeb Camper

I play with a Fender Strat Squire II with a Peavey Vyper amp...

Still have not used all of the sound combos on it in the two years I've had it, it will even link to a PC for recording and a crapload of

other stuff beyond my grasp !!

Not a bad amp set up for less than $ 150.00 don't remember what I gave for the Strat 25 years or so ago......................B)

One of these days I hope to learn how to play it instead of just playin with it....................:rolleyes:

Edited by Clifford Brewer
21 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I like the bluesy sound.

Well that narrows it down to about a hundred choices......:lol:

Are we talking the Kenny Wayne Shepard, Stevie Ray Vaughn blues, or the Lightning Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf blues? Eric Clapton or Eric Burden? Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, BB King, the list goes on. Let's not forget the women. Bonnie Raitt, Melissa Etheridge, Nancy Wilson and there were many more before them.

Pre-1940, 1940-1980, or 1980 and later? I mean, Sha Na Na was technically blues based music. Yes, Doo-Wop is just a blues tune with all the soul removed.....

Maybe you mean Beethoven? (everything he ever wrote was based on the I, IV,V progression)

Seriously though, Pick a few artists whose music and style you really connect with. Stuff that makes you close your eyes , tip your head back, and feel the notes. Then see what axe they play and what amps/gizmos they use. Start there and get thee to a guitar store and try a few on.

Guitars are like hammers; they all have different uses and it is difficult to just stop at one.......I have an acoustic folk, a banjo, an electric bass, an acoustic 12 string, electric 6 string Les Paul clone, a Danelectro reissue, and a hollow body electric 335 I built from a kit. My name is Steve and I have a guitar problem :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Well that narrows it down to about a hundred choices......:lol:

Are we talking the Kenny Wayne Shepard, Stevie Ray Vaughn blues, or the Lightning Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf blues? Eric Clapton or Eric Burden? Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, BB King, the list goes on. Let's not forget the women. Bonnie Raitt, Melissa Etheridge, Nancy Wilson and there were many more before them.

Pre-1940, 1940-1980, or 1980 and later? I mean, Sha Na Na was technically blues based music. Yes, Doo-Wop is just a blues tune with all the soul removed.....

Maybe you mean Beethoven? (everything he ever wrote was based on the I, IV,V progression)

Seriously though, Pick a few artists whose music and style you really connect with. Stuff that makes you close your eyes , tip your head back, and feel the notes. Then see what axe they play and what amps/gizmos they use. Start there and get thee to a guitar store and try a few on.

Toni Iommi! I know he's not blues, but listening to the heaven and hell album, songs like "lonely is the word". I remarked that "it sounds like hes speaking through guitar"

BB king I also like. 

Edit: it's worth noting that I love Tony's style. The hammer-ons, the pulloffs, the bends, the vibrato, the slides, everything. That said, my index, middle, and ring fingers hate me!

Edited by Zeb Camper
17 minutes ago, SteveShimanek said:

Guitars are like hammers; they all have different uses and it is difficult to just stop at one.......I have an acoustic folk, a banjo, an electric bass, an acoustic 12 string, electric 6 string Les Paul clone, a Danelectro reissue, and a hollow body electric 335 I built from a kit. My name is Steve and I have a guitar problem :)

Yeah, I feel your pain. Two acoustic 6-strings, (Fannin and a Martin backpacker) an acoustic 12-string (Guild), Ibanez 6-string electric and a guild Bass.  I really want another ES 335 and maybe a Strat, but I have told myself I have to actually start playing regularly again before I am allowed to buy any more guitars. Someday, I'll also buy a flute and learn how to play it.....

Edited by Joshua States