Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Other than working on the replacement for the replacement handle on my kith, I am using a friends treager to smoke myself a rack of ribs. Should be pretty tasty.:)

Today I ended up scrapping out both knives that I had in process.  One was an integral that I royally screwed up the forging on, and the other was a hunter that I messed up the plunge lines on and was too thin to save. 

I guess tomorrow will be a forging day.  Lol

Hot waxed the sheaths and sharpeed a dozen knives today to have them ready to ship this week, and picked up another lamb from a farmer friend to make a pair for grass controll and table fare when they are grown sufficiently. 

Finished a set of Brazeal hammer tongs, was not satisfied with my result; worked on reshaping an old hot cut into a hammer eye tool, made good headway, and had some luck using the power hammer, but vibration had the timing off. Tried to get some video but couldn't find my tripod, grrr.

It rained all day today.  Having had pneumonia twice, I decided against getting the forge out and spent the bulk of the day cleaning and organizing in the shop.

20190929_174537.jpg

I might be half way done.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:10 AM, SHOOEYE said:

now second, I don't understand why everybody is so sensitive. I don't care whether your green(Martin), purple or another color if your squared away and can take some ribbing, and have a different opinion that's OK

Oh no, not again.

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2019 at 7:53 PM, Zeb Camper said:

I desperately need a way to heat treat great big ol' long stuff... didn't you make the elements and stuff for yours? In other words, do you know how they work? I've got just the piece of steel to make a kiln/furnace out of, but electricity is as good as wizardry to a simpleton such as myself. Luckily my best freind is an electrician. Would I be nuts to think I could put one together on my own? 

Have you thought about a Don Fogg oil drum design?

5 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I've got a similar problem, has anyone ever tried using one of those mini drums? 13 gallons or so. I think the original plans optimize for the volume of the large drum? Not sure if a 3/4 inch burner would work right using a smaller drum. Any thoughts....

6 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I have. Isnt that a weed burner in the side of well, an oil drum? I need to look for that around here. 

The trench method with a long baffle pipe was my first thought, but Its gonna be hard to see decalescence on a 30 some odd inch of sword blade in a baffle pipe that's small enough to maintain a steady internal atmosphere. And I dont want to play around in open flame with this one. They say the worst time to learn karate is while getting your but kicked. 

• Haha 1

I took the idea of Don Fogg oil drum and made it a bit smaller. Took 36 inches of 10 inch diameter duct work pipe with two end caps ( found at a local hardware store), lined everything with an inch of kaowool and 1/4 inch satinite. Put a stubby 1/2 inch diameter Venturi burner at the bottom and got pretty good results. Posted pictures of it in the beginners section as I was asking about the grain I got using it. I’m putting together a 36 inch muffle pipe to fit inside it now.

As to what I did in “the shop” today, I started my countdown clock to the weekend. Starting Saturday and going to the following Friday I will be taking blacksmithing classes at a local living history center (Conner Prairie). 9 hours a day for seven days; Saturday and Sunday Damascus, Monday, Tuesday, and half of Wednesday tomahawk and ax making, second half of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday general blacksmithing. Weekend can’t come soon enough :D.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

I will be taking blacksmithing classes at a local living history center 

Now that sounds like a great week! What a fantastic investment in yourself and your craft. Take some pics (if possible) and post them up!

I second what Joshua said, I'm sure we would all love to see pictures of a week of awesome classes. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I have. Isnt that a weed burner in the side of well, an oil drum?

I suppose a weed burner might work. The only one I ever used was making this sword and it was a 55 gallon drum with a 1" venture burner made from iron gas pipe.

The video is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KagrTHIfwWinx24X6xNcgbUkvndF2x0H

I think you should be able to downsize the drum and burner and get something that works as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but Bill seems to have done it.

I am picking up two used well pressure bladder tanks from my neighbor who just replaced two of his. They are both steel and have this nifty FIP threaded inlet in the center of the bottom. That should come in real handy for plumbing the burner in.

Edited by Joshua States

Posted (edited)

Yeah, Bill sent me the link with some photos of his build. I think I have the wool to make that happen. I have a square piece of tubing 6" wide that'd work for the body I think. Unless round is necessary for swirling... might find a piece of duct or a barrel. If I could hook a chile burner to it that'd be pretty slick. 

Congratulations on the classes Bill! 

Edited by Zeb Camper
Capitalization and second thought!!!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Yeah, bill sent me the link with some photos of his build. I think I have the wool to make that happen. I have a square piece of tubing 6" wide that'd work for the body I think. Unless round is necessary for swirling...

At 6 inches, I don't think it's going to make a difference round or square, by the time you lay the wool in you have a 4 inch square area to heat up. It's gonna get hot. burner size is the question

Edited by Joshua States
  • Thanks 1

I thikmy blown burner would get plenty hot if the diablo out of the chile didnt. What do you think? 

It's a very small area. A blown burner will probably cook the steel. Do you have the thermocoupler and digital read out thingy? I'd try the Chille Diablo first and see how well you can hold the MS temp. The trick to the Fogg barrel forge is the volume helps stabilize the temp. When I made that Falchion, Matt P. and Grizz set that drum up and it sat at like 1500*F rock steady.

Made a video cutting an onion with one of the small kitchen knives I just finished, that got a few laughs and maybe an order B)

A friend dropped by for a handle fitting, busy with a hunting knife in 14C28N for him, he does hunt regularly, but the design brief is it needs to effortlessly split a Galjoen (Dichistius capensis) from the dorsal fin downwards, leaving the belly intact for ideal BBQ'ing 

Briefly lit the forge and forged out a long tang on a large old bastard file, I'm feeling very ambitious so this is supposed to become a quad-hollow ground sub-hilt fighter.

I'd cleaned up and profiled my first SLO a few weeks ago but I was just not happy with the look...too much curve in the blade.  Straightened that out quite a bit and I'm excited about the build again. 

10 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Now that sounds like a great week! What a fantastic investment in yourself and your craft. Take some pics (if possible) and post them up!

Connor Prairie is where I learned hawks, axes, and engraving in 2000 and 2001.  Great place!

My sword forge is made from a couple of air compressor tanks.  Dennis McAdams made it and the tempering oven using Jesus Hernadez's design, itself a modification of Don Fogg's.  I'm told it works well with a T-rex, but I haven't had the occasion to fire it up yet.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

I took the idea of Don Fogg oil drum and made it a bit smaller. Took 36 inches of 10 inch diameter duct work pipe with two end caps ( found at a local hardware store), lined everything with an inch of kaowool and 1/4 inch satinite. Put a stubby 1/2 inch diameter Venturi burner at the bottom and got pretty good results. Posted pictures of it in the beginners section as I was asking about the grain I got using it. I’m putting together a 36 inch muffle pipe to fit inside it now.

I have made something similar to this.  I used a 2ft section of hot water heater tank (14" diameter) lined with kaowool with an opening at each end (one for the burner and one for the blade).  I use a 1/2" zoeller style burner and that's almost too much... Two thermocouple probes, one near the back and one near the front, and I can tune the temp to within 2° of what I want.  It has given me all the accuracy I could need for carbon steels.  I also made a full-sized one for swords up to 40" from 55gallon barrels, you'll need a bigger burner for that.

I would think that you'll want an inside diameter of at least 10 inches.

Jim Batson made one from an old metal garbage can... :)

Edited by GEzell
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I thikmy blown burner would get plenty hot if the diablo out of the chile didnt. What do you think? 

I agree with George; the ½ inch Zoeller style burner I have is almost too much for the volume of my “oven” (8 inch working diameter, 34 inches working height). I had the gas pressure down to where it wasn’t even registering on the gauge. One of the reasons I’m making a baffle pipe for mine. Hopefully will make it easier to keep a steady, even temperature. The other reason is it will allow me to drop some coal in the bottom to help with de-carb (have Alan to thank for that idea). Zeb, with a blown burner or a Daiblo you will probably end up with a slag pile of melted steel in a 4 inch working area square pipe…When I first started it up, I had it at 3 PSI. Thermocouple in the middle of the pipe was easily reading 1700F. I actually think a good hardware propane torch would get mine plenty hot for heat treating carbon steels.

• Like 1

Well, I scored an oil drum. I told my boss I needed one (knowing he had one :ph34r:) and he gave it to me. 

This afternoon I made walnut stain.

26 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Well, I scored an oil drum. I told my boss I needed one (knowing he had one :ph34r:) and he gave it to me. 

This afternoon I made walnut stain.

• Thanks 1

Today I took this handle to 800 grit, buffed and etched the Damascus spacer.

Handle progress (2).jpg

Handle progress (4).jpg

Handle progress (1).jpg

Handle progress (3).jpg

• Like 5