Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

finally cleared the attic of rockwool, around 10 m3 or 35 ish ft3  -  clearing the rest of the attic of dust and 25 years of dust,dirt and grime

20191009_135257.jpg

I’m getting better at this grinding thing.  I made a super stupid mistake, I mistakenly held the spike to the grinder thinking it was the blade.. that’s why there’s a bevel on the others side :wacko: 

i flat ground it pretty well sadly I didn’t get pics, then I convexed it and it looks pretty good to me. 

Ive been practicing on the crappy blades that I’ve forged in the past. Grinding seems very simple once you get the motion right. Basically just rocking back and forth. 

315AC017-5271-4480-A23B-4ED3C7BEC79F.jpeg

48E8A008-C459-431E-B57A-9DDAC35E43BE.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks good Conner. Keep it up. 

I got the weld on the guard of the sidesword cleaned up today. Not 100%, but it's going in the right direction. Time for lots of needle files in the little gap between the quillion and the D. 

20191011_192929(0).jpg

20191011_193011.jpg

20191011_193045.jpg

I also got pieces 3, 4, and 5 tacked, adjusted, and welded together. They will go on top of the guard, with the ring around the unsharpened section of the blade. Hopefully I can fit the scabbard through the ring, I made it a little small :wacko:.

20191010_201008.jpg

Starting to think I should have just done a WIP of this thing lol. 

Edited by Will W.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Will W. said:

Starting to think I should have just done a WIP of this thing lol. 

This is rocking Will

Thank you, Joshua. 

I went to a hammer in and completed 2 billets with a 33# Anyang. One is a 26c3 and wrought San mai and the other is 1084/15n20 random+crushed W's attempt :lol:. Those little hammers can move a lot of metal!

More grinding practice, decided to try full flat bevels on this, I’m not intending on finishing these practice blades, just seeing how well I can grind the bevels, and I’m starting to get the hang of it.  

No micro bevels everywhere, just a clean smooth full flat

other side of the blade looks the same.

17A7743B-302C-4231-85EF-6CE1CE04DDF6.jpegEdit: better picture 

591330D9-0CC8-40D8-927B-ACD876DDA090.jpegIt’s so annoying to try and get a good picture of shiny steel..

Edited by Conner Michaux

On 8/4/2019 at 11:13 PM, Gerhard Gerber said:

Wood.

I hate wood, why do you guys use it all the time?

Stabilization helps. 

I use it because I had 2 maples on my property with 1 meter+ burls on them.  Ended up having lots of spalting too.  Now I have over 700 blocks, so it's free...B)

30 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

I’m not intending on finishing these practice blades,

Why not?  Make them into smaller EDCs if you don't like the shape they are in now (unless that's mild steel, of course).

Edited by billyO

I might forge the one on the picture into the Yakut I’ve always wanted to make, or I’ll forge it thinner so I can make a steak knife out of it. Who knows. Right now I need to practice forging blacksmith knives for kith. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

I heat treated 6 blades.

Clayed blades (5) V2.jpg

7 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

Right now I need to practice forging blacksmith knives for kith.

Conner, have you looked at this thread yet?

5 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Conner, have you looked at this thread yet?

Thanks! I’ve never seen that one before.

Just messing around in the shop this evening ...

I call it a Smax!   Or small ax.   Made from a rr spike.  super quenched.  made for throwing:

20191013_224951sm.jpg

might drill some holes for weight...  not my cleanest forging.

Edited by Bruno

I heat treated 3 blades, the quad-hollow ground fighter from an old file, a saw blade cleaver and the hunting knife from 14C28N

First time going for a hamon in the kiln with what I assumed was 1095, no hamon to be found :( I normalized (once only) at 855C and quenched at 800C.  Any ideas what went wrong?

The blade hardened and the HT looks good.....just no hamon.

The saw blade cleaver, round 2.  Previous HT the edge turned into a noodle, ground all that away and left it thicker, only did an edge quench this time.

I was busy sanding when I found a 1cm crack close to the nose, I could salvage it, but I'm done with that piece of saw blade :angry:

I was worried because the hunter is very thin, but the more I work with 14C28N the more I like it.

On 10/13/2019 at 12:42 AM, Joshua States said:

I heat treated 6 blades.

Aww, the one blade feels a bit naked ;)

Is that Rutlands?

4 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Aww, the one blade feels a bit naked ;)

Is that Rutlands?

The black stuff is Rutlands. The white stuff is Kilz acrylic primer. The all white blade is Scrapmascus and doesn't need a Hamon.

• Thanks 1

Will that be Bernie junior? :P:lol: 

or maybe big brother Bernie..?

@Zeb Camper is that the OBM model? Looks good. I built one a few months back using some of their parts, quality stuff. 

49 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

Will that be Bernie junior? :P:lol: 

or maybe big brother Bernie..?

I shall call him... Colonel. 

38 minutes ago, Will W. said:

@Zeb Camper is that the OBM model? Looks good. I built one a few months back using some of their parts, quality stuff. 

Yep it does look really well built. Much more sturdy than it probably needs to be. The VDF and motor came pre-wired and it was over packaged. I literally just have to adjust a few things bolt it all to a bench and plug it into an outlet. Back to the packing: alot of time and effort went into making sure it arrived safely. I'm 100% satisfied so far. 

• Like 1

The parts I ordered from them were the same way. Packaged very well and exactly as advertised. Good company to work with. 

I got my VFD off of amazon, as well as my 3 hp motor. Your VFD looks very similar to mine. It's a bit of trial and error to get it programmed and running totally properly, but once you do, they're so nice. 

Luck to you. May the Colonel run hard and true!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Joshua States said:

The black stuff is Rutlands. The white stuff is Kilz acrylic primer. The all white blade is Scrapmascus and doesn't need a Hamon.

So the Kilz acts s anti-scale?

12 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

So the Kilz acts s anti-scale?

Kinda sorta. It does keep it to a slight black patina that wipes off with 400 grit paper.

Look what the FeCl showed me B)

Quite happy with this little one.

IMG_20191016_144445[1].jpg

• Like 1