Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Made the final tweaks to my new stabilizing vacuum chamber.  My old glass jar would only hold 3-4 handle blocks at a time with a lot of wasted resin.20191020_091101.jpg  

20191020_101406.jpg

The new one will hold up to 12 handle blocks at a time, sitting on a 45 degree angle to avoid trapping air bubbles underneath them.

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 2

Well  Well, it's been an agonizingly slow process because I don't have the welding equipment to build my forge.  But I finally got all the "off-campus" work done and I finally got the insulating brick into the forge today.  I still need to coat the inside with KOL30.  This is a forced air ribbon burner forge, but I've not cast my ribbon burner yet.

Here's a picture of the front end of the forge..................back end looks just the same. :lol:  It's only on end for the casting of the KOL30.

p3662851622-4.jpg

Side view showing where the ribbon burner will go into the forge.

p3662851636-4.jpg

The next step is to make a form on the inside and cast KOL30 between the form and the insulating brick.  Also have to cast the ribbon burner.

Here's a shot of the forge up on it's stand.  Wide angle lens has distorted the size.  The opening for the forge is about chest high.  (But if it turns out to be too high, I've plenty of leg height on the stand that can be cut off.)  The fan is a Bouncy Castle blower.  I was worried about noise, but it only registers 40db at max level............and is much less when the valve restricts the air flow.  Ribbon burners are notoriously quiet in comparison to venturi burners, so I think the forge noise is going to be quite acceptable.

p3482905611-4.jpg

It's been a good day in the shop. ;)

Edited by Chris Christenberry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Christenberry said:

That's an interesting pattern, Brian.

Thanks Chris.  The steel turned out like I wanted, but I didn't plan ahead for what the grinding of the bevels would do to the pattern.  That was the first blade I made from the bar.  This is the second one. (I showed it a couple of weeks ago since I finished it first)  I adjusted the grind a bit to get a better pattern:

IMG_7482 (2).JPG

@Alex Middleton - Nice stabilizing tank!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I like that.  Pattern welding fascinates me.  Hope to be able to do that someday myself.

Dang! You folks are making some equipment!

Nice looking blade there @Brian Dougherty

Ribbon burners are notoriously quiet in comparison to venturi burners, so I think the forge noise is going to be quite acceptable.

I think you will be surprised at the noise level. My ribbon burner roars quite a bit louder than the venture forge, and until it comes up to about 1200^ the hum adds a nice harmony. :blink:

Pattern welding fascinates me.  Hope to be able to do that someday myself

Get that forge running and you will be at welding temps in 7-10 minutes. 

Today was two projects, One was hand sanding kitchen knives and the other one was another of the more stressful parts of the knife making process: Doming handle pins.

Doming  pins V2.jpg

Edited by Joshua States

Got 10 skinner blades cut out, c;eaned up, ground and het treated. Tempering at the moment

IMG_20191021_112428.jpg

IMG_20191021_155829.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 7:56 AM, Gerhard Gerber said:

Is that what you'd call it....? Good to know, will google a bit more B)

And yes, 2nd go around on this one, crazy warp on the edge first HT, had to grind a lot away and only did an edge quench, the hamon was a surprise B)

I hope you had a bit of a giggle @Zeb Camper , the penny dropped after I googled a bit :lol:

7 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Today was two projects, One was hand sanding kitchen knives and the other one was another of the more stressful parts of the knife making process: Doming handle pins.

Interesting jig.  Any chance of a WIP? :)

5 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I hope you had a bit of a giggle @Zeb Camper , the penny dropped after I googled a bit :lol:

Not sure what you mean. Try "utsuri hamon" the first result for me. 

14 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Man, I hate doming pins... 

9 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/utsuri.html

although for the record I had no idea someone has hijacked the name for a kind of those fancy carp...:rolleyes:  

6 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Interesting jig.  Any chance of a WIP? :)

I did not have the time to devote to a WIP on this other than a few of the posts already out there. This knife has to be delivered by this Saturday.

As for the jig, I made this one to mimic Nick Wheeler's. There are some good photos of it and how it works here.

• Thanks 1

Forged this dude out. I think this particular wagon tire is high P. Didnt want to behave. Luckily it welds back together if you catch it soon enough. When I was forging the tang it pulled apart right at the tang shoulder. I was able to weld it back by getting it screaming hot, grabbing it by the blade and hitting it vertically onto the anvil. 20191021_161036.jpg

Oh, and last night I bought rail humbuckers in a "loaded pickguard" and thicker strings for the guitar. I played my buddy's dad's solidbody with humbuckers and it was a freaking blast. Didnt wanna stop. The pickguard is mint green with some black parts. Should look pretty schweet I think!

• Like 3

We need some better pics of that blade, dude!

• Thanks 1

Best I can do for today! Needs more grind work, sanding, and heat treatment. I just couldn't resist getting an etch on it before shutting the shop up. 

20191021_161128.jpg

• Like 7

That's some serious shizzz dude

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Not sure what you mean. Try "utsuri hamon" the first result for me. 

I assumed "utsuri" was the Japanese name for a little cleaver :lol:

12 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/utsuri.html

although for the record I had no idea someone has hijacked the name for a kind of those fancy carp...:rolleyes:  

Exactly! :lol: That confused me even more until I googled "utsuri knife"....that's when the penny dropped :D

Seriously cool blade @Zeb Camper B)

• Thanks 1

Squared off some billets for forge welding, forge welded - and milled a couple of forge welding joints. :lol:

I have to say - this little milling machine I've gotten myself is a real time saver and adds allot to the accuracy:

miller 003.jpg

miller 002.jpg

miller 001.jpg

Damn perfect contact surfaces for forge welding! :D no more eyeballing and bad welds. :lol:

Forged out that billet today, and decided to forge weld on a tang. (dont want to waste all that pretty steel!)

miller B 01.jpg

miller B 02.jpg

Not absolutely perfect - but with one whack of the hammer - and those two surfaces are gonna be glued together all nice and tight! B)

Man, this milling machine is "da bomb" as the kids say... (do they say that still? ...) :lol:

• Like 2

Got these two out of heat treat and temper.

Big one is cleaver/nakiri for a friend made of leaf spring.   The smaller is a straight razor for the old noodle.  Made of 180+ layer twist damascus.

Differential heat treat on both.

P1070369sm.JPGP1070372sm.JPG

A few handles readied for the group buy skinners then pinned and epoxied on and in the clamps for the night.

IMG_20191027_135816.jpg

IMG_20191027_142813.jpg

Been playing with these two as time allows

IMG_20191027_152316.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2

Well not in the blacksmith shop ;) but in my shop in progress got the tables ½ installed ^^

20191024_150355.jpg

Group buy skinners in the handle finish rack with the first couple of coats applied.

IMG_20191028_171115.jpg

• Like 1

I heat treated my new platten, 320mm long, 50mm wide, 14mm thick 5160 that (briefly) lived under a Hilux, milled into shape...

That puppy holds some heat, it turned my quench tank into a bubbling mess, but it came out hard and straight, so very happy with that.

Also heat treated two 14C28 kitchen knives. Really liking the results with this steel, same as the previous knife I did everything to spec and they seem very hard.....they sing when slicing paper B)

• Like 1

I was busy out of the shop this weekend, but got it cleaned up Saturday night. I'm a little burnt out right now anyway. After all the cool hotwork, now I have to spend a full 40 hours or more sanding all the projects I have. I still have enough damascus from the sword project for a good sized broken back seax. I might start making axes and spears. 

I put the humbuckers and thicker strings on this thing on Saturday and realized my new pickguard was for an American strat and not a squire :blink:...  So, I rocked the white pickguard for that night and Sunday, and it sounds really good now. I can get some good clean tones, or just let it scream. Tonight I decided to just fit the green one up and drill new holes. No regrets here! I think it looks pretty mean&green. 

20191028_202651.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeb Camper said:

After all the cool hotwork, now I have to spend a full 40 hours or more sanding all the projects I have.

Please explain how that, leads you to determine this:

1 hour ago, Zeb Camper said:

I might start making axes and spears. 

I guess nothing screams "Forge some more stuff!" like a pile of pieces that need grinding & sanding. :blink::o:lol:

Edited by Joshua States

I donk know. I would love it if I could just forge stuff. I figure axes and spears might have equal amounts of hotwork and finish work (except for the hafts). Now that I think about it; they probably require just as much (or more) unless you like "brute de forge" or whatever. 

33 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

I guess nothing screams "Forge some more stuff!" like a pile of pieces that need grinding & sanding. :blink::o:lol:

Thats about the size of it! That's warm weather type stuff. My shop is heated by my forge :rolleyes:. I cant use that excuse quite yet. It's still pretty warm.

I've just kind of lost the gumption to spend long days sanding on hard steel. Especially a 29" and a 26" blade, 6 bevels total and two fullers. The gumption will likely return eventually.