Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

I’ve been working on drawing out square tapers on round stock. 

Ive been forging at night so I can see the heat in the steel a bit better, so I only have an hour or so to forge. I need to the the neighbors sleep right?  Here’s where I’m at, this will turn into a hook tonight, Needs a bit more work on the taper.  My hammer control is getting better. No huge hammer marks anymore. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

I just cut out and made a start on 16 sheaths so that will take me well into tomorrow

• Like 1

Forged this hook tonight, nailed the taper and the hook part of it, but during the hammering of the piece that the nail goes through it got all twisted in the spine of the hook and now it’s all offset from the hook portion. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

I just cut out and made a start on 16 sheaths so that will take me well into tomorrow

End of the day and some progress with the processing done so they are now ready for getting the holes drilled and the stitching done. The edges will get then get dyed and slicked so that will all happen tomorrow with the hot waxing and an edge on the blades, oil the blades and wax the handles and they will be ready to ship off by monday.

IMG_20191030_132022.jpg

IMG_20191030_164347.jpg

• Like 2

Not on the shop today, but knife related stuff in the house. 

Practicing my cutting skills (slim to none)

tried out two new cuts today, Julienne and Batonette. 

Doing okay on keeping my cuts uniform to each other, Only thing I’m not proud of is the darned cutco knife. 

AF592491-0612-4020-8D0E-89825658830F.jpeg

So, your cutting skills are improving.

More importantly, how are your cooking skills? :) 

Oh I love cooking, I’m getting better at not using a recipe, mostly I just go by what tastes good together and what ingredients complement each other. I’ve nearly mastered steak, I don’t even think about a recipe anymore for those, reverse searing to get perfect medium rare is simple as long as the cut isn’t super thin.  I definitely have a lot to improve on, but I’m getting better!  I especially love cooking trout.  I would love to start meat smoking, not with an electric pellet grill, old fashioned wood fire smoke. 

Ever have that feeling that you forgot to do something before you left your shop for the night?  Three days ago.

20191030_193225.jpg

Let's just say that those stabilized blanks are thoroughly cured. :blink:

51 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

Oh I love cooking, I’m getting better at not using a recipe, mostly I just go by what tastes good together and what ingredients complement each other. I’ve nearly mastered steak, I don’t even think about a recipe anymore for those, reverse searing to get perfect medium rare is simple as long as the cut isn’t super thin.  I definitely have a lot to improve on, but I’m getting better!  I especially love cooking trout.  I would love to start meat smoking, not with an electric pellet grill, old fashioned wood fire smoke. 

If you want to start smokin' meat, I suggest you take a peak at amazingribs.com. They have unbiased reviews on a ton of smokers of every type. Tons of recipes too. And they go into the science behind cooking and smoking so that you understand why this or that works or not.

Edited by Ron Benson
  • Thanks 1

Medium rare steak is top of the list. Doesn't get much better.

I love smoked food but the smoke gives me heartburn now.

I'm about to go on a crash diet. Got to lose some weight before my next surgery.

Keep cooking Conner. It's a good skill to know.

2 hours ago, Ron Benson said:

I suggest you take a peak at amazingribs.com.

Bookmarked! Thanks Ron.

Today I took these 5 kitchen knives to 400 grit. Hamons are showing activity, but I'm not sure if I'll take them all the way. I'll do one of the little petty blades first and see what happens.

400 Grit finish (3) V2.jpg

400 Grit finish (6) V2.jpg

Rough forged a (viking?) battle axe today from a forklift fork. But now I'm having problems with my power hammer. Also there is a lot of hammer marks from the flat dies. I'm still waiting on my drawing dies and when I get them things will start looking a little cleaner. Resized_20191101_163912.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
Switched pictures because the flash messed with the picture
  • Like 2

@Conner Michaux that's your hammer sitting on the anvil. I used it a bit today and it has a really nice feel to it. I'm going to thin the handle a little bit more. I HAVE to go to the post office tomorrow and I will get everything sent out!!!

• Thanks 1

Looks like a bearded axe,  alright!  You need tooling for your flat dies.  Go to youtube and look up "John Rigoni forging a colonial axe."  It's a five-minute video that will change your world.

I'm going on YouTube right now to watch it!!!

I'm subscribed to him and have watched a few of his videos.

One thing I have learned is using tooling isn't as easy as everyone makes it look. I have a flatter that I made and that is harder to control that I thought it was going to be!!!!

4 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

One thing I have learned is using tooling isn't as easy as everyone makes it look. I have a flatter that I made and that is harder to control that I thought it was going to be!!!!

That's because it takes three hands to use a flatter.

4 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

John Rigoni forging a colonial axe

Good video. Even if colonial smiths didn't have oxy-acetylene torches......:D

14 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Look at the one John uses on the hammer.  Hammer tooling does not resemble hand-held tooling very much.  

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Hammer tooling does not resemble hand-held tooling very much.  

This is the one I made. I think the round on the back side needs to be bigger.

Resized_20191102_102350.jpegResized_20191102_102327.jpegResized_20191102_102336.jpeg

Gotcha, and yes.  Look at John's.  The cross-section is a low triangle with a rounded point.  This keeps it from twisting in your hand like yours with that single point of contact will do.  

I think I could make one like his with my swage block. I've seen them made from like a 3 inch round bar like 3 inches long and cut in half with a piece of round welded to it for a handle. Every time I watch his videos I'm amazed!!!

Got these blades cut out an profiled today for next weeks work

IMG_20191103_151640.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

Got these blades cut out an profiled today for next weeks work

You are cranking them out lately.

• Thanks 1

Boy, Gary, you're a knife makin' machine!  Do you work from your own designs?

• Thanks 1