Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

You are cranking them out lately.

There are 5 more skinners for the group buy and 4 of the new PH EDC design. These multiple patern orders halp with efficiency while the others are customs with individual handle requests but even that is not much more time consuming.

2 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Boy, Gary, you're a knife makin' machine!  Do you work from your own designs?

Yes these are all my own designs athough I have colaborated with some clients to design blades to suit thier own particular needs/wants and have added them to my pattern stock. The one on the far left was originally designed to fulfil the needs of a Maj Gen US Rangers (ret) and has become an oft asked for knife. The one on the far right is a new design or rather a modification of a previous one I made for dicing meat but found there was not the need for the full length depth "nakiri" type blade but I needed a little more developement of the handle shape to give better control of the knife so will see how this improvment works. I had put a chef knife type handle on the first one but the hold for this type of use is full handed rather than thelighter pinch grip hold on the chef so more depth was needed in the palm area to facillitate the directability of the knife.  I will give it to a butcher friend to use for a while to get further feedback but expect I have solved any shortcommings in the previous design so it will become part of my standard offerings.

Edited by Garry Keown

Made a couple of hooks.

20191103_142027.jpg

20191103_142148.jpg

20191103_142010.jpg

The scrollwork is wonky on the one because A: unbeknownst to me I'm low (basically out) on acetylene so couldn't spot-heat to tweak and B: my scrolling tongs finally broke after being cracked across the boss for 20 years.  I'm still happy with them.  1/4" x 3/4" #00 iron, aka Pure Iron, aka 1004.  Forges like butter.  

• Like 1

Nice hooks.

Looks a lot like the belt buckle Bertram-Nielson posted on YouTube about a week ago.

Added another couple of blades in and had a day of heat treating and with the temp at over 85* having the forge cranked up to1950 for the stainless blades.had an agravating effect so I was pleased to get them all done. On the right is a damascus blank with the pattern on it then comes the SS blades with  a meat slicer, 2 chefs, a petty and a B&T then a mini skinner. Next is the carbon blades wit a J T Ranger, a Safari then 4 of the new PH EDC's and on the left is another 6 of the group buy skinners from some follow up orders. Some handsanding to do after the finish grinding in of the bevels

IMgipQHl.jpg
Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1

You do more in a week than I do in a year Garry.  I have say that I do really like the profile of your new PH blade.  It just feels "right" to me for an all around hunting knife.

• Thanks 1

I had a brainwave :ph34r:

My best micarta (YMMV) is made from green wool material, which is also the only wool material I've ever seen....but I wanted to try more.

I was surprised how hard it was to find real, pure wool.......ended up buying some black brushed kid Mohair.....expensive stuff....

Wanted to use this for a bolster in a kitchen knife, stuck two layers of masking tape on the tang & ricasso, clamped 4 wood blocks to the blade either side of where I wanted the bolster.

I'd measure roughly how much I would need, wool went into the resin and then I simply wound it onto the tang between the wood blocks.

Knocked it off after it'd set and cleaned up the masking tape, the result being a nearly perfectly fitting Mohair bolster.B)

12 minutes ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I had a brainwave :ph34r:

My best micarta (YMMV) is made from green wool material, which is also the only wool material I've ever seen....but I wanted to try more.

I was surprised how hard it was to find real, pure wool.......ended up buying some black brushed kid Mohair.....expensive stuff....

Wanted to use this for a bolster in a kitchen knife, stuck two layers of masking tape on the tang & ricasso, clamped 4 wood blocks to the blade either side of where I wanted the bolster.

I'd measure roughly how much I would need, wool went into the resin and then I simply wound it onto the tang between the wood blocks.

Knocked it off after it'd set and cleaned up the masking tape, the result being a nearly perfectly fitting Mohair bolster.B)

have to do a show on that one Gerhard

• Like 1

Will do @Garry Keown ........week 3 without internet, now my cellular data is also depleted.....as soon as I can B)

11 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Nice hooks.

Looks a lot like the belt buckle Bertram-Nielson posted on YouTube about a week ago.

Thanks!  Never heard of that guy,  but there's only so many ways to bend metal.  :lol:

You should look him up. He has some very good videos. Wilderness living, craft and blacksmithing. Mostly Viking based.

I got some stuff in the mail today. I'm soon to get more. Im gonna be trying my hand as a luthier. It goes against everything I stand for in my eyeballed way of doing things, but I've researched and researched and I think I've got a shot at making something cool. I'm hoping to incorporate some of the elements I've learned in bladesmithing. Maybe even some Anglo-Saxon themes as far as applied art goes. I'm going with stratocaster dimensions since I have one for reference, but a Les Paul silhouette for the body and neck. Im going to make a bolt on neck like a strat. This will keep the joint really simple and allow for more creative metal work with the neck plate. So the plan is to make everything except for the electronics, tuners, bridge, and fret wire. LP pots, and 3 way switch with 2 full size humbuckers (neck and middle, or maybe bridge idk), fender locking tuners, string furrels on the back for through strings and a strat style bridge. The overall goal is to make a modern object with ancient style. 

I don't have many tools though! I bought a router and a planer head for the drill press B) 

Been a couple of long days but I have all but four done and ready for handles. Of the four one is for me, one for my cousin, one for an after christmas delivery and the 4th is a spec blade so no rush to get them done where the others I need to get done as I dont ship after the first week in dec.

5GJPaltl.jpg

Made some hammer eye drifts a week or so ago from a stainless steel bar I had laying around. They held up ok for 5 or 6 hammers but i was sick of grinding them after a couple uses so I made one of them in H13 today.Resized_20191107_073111.jpegResized_20191108_112558.jpeg

Then I made a bolster to be able to drift hammer eyes and drive out slugs with the power hammer. I have a handle welded on it now. I debated on making a saddle for it to sit over the lower die but I wanted it to be quickly moved off the die.

Resized_20191108_115320.jpeg

Resized_20191108_115322.jpeg

I sharpened my wood carving tools today, I finally figured out a way to sharpen my Hook knife, 1/2 wooden dowel wrapped with sandpaper, starting with 800 grit I worked my way up to 2000 and then a piece of 1000 charged with some green compound I have. Apparently it works! 

And worked on the chopper I started, filing the bevels this thing is going to take me at least 5-7 hours..  fun stuff today y’all. :lol:

Yet another one...

For some reason, the blade looks smaller than it is. It's 8.5" long...

Edited by Joël Mercier
  • Like 2

I like that one Joel.  I'm currently sitting in the backseat of my 16 year old son's car while he takes his road test for his driver's license.  It's very hard to keep my mouth shut.

Edited by Alex Middleton

What can I say, we start them young in the north. :D. Edited

2 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

I like that one Joel.  I'm currently sitting in the backseat of my 16 year old son's car while he takes his road test for his driver's license.  It's very hard to keep my mouth shut.

Is that common there Alex?. Here it is only the applicant and the tester in the car when going to a licence test. When I got mine in '67 there were 3 oral questions and the driving test which consisted of eaving the curb into non existant traffic (small town of 4-500) driving out of town about a 1/2 mile, doing a 3 point turn and driving back into town to have the licence issued. I bought a '52 ford and I was away back to work. Left school 3 months before I was 16 and had been driving on the farm since I was 7 or 8 so it was not big thing for me. Hope your son passed the test and is now independent, well except for borrowing your car that is.

At least around here, the parent sits in the back seat during the test, but is not allowed to talk.  Had I said anything during the drive, it would have been an automatic failure for him.  Thankfully I was able to keep my mouth shut and he passed easily.  Now we just need to go to the Secretary of State's office and get his actual license.  I'm not sure if I was more nervous the first time he got behind the wheel, or thinking about him driving away by himself.:unsure:

• Haha 1

opened a can of grown up last week, and managed to source some suitable presentation boxes, and ordered a rubber stamp! - These boxes are good for knives up to about 180mm blade length :) - I know it is not pushing the boundaries of workmanship, but Ive been meaning to do this for years, and eventually pulled my finger out ! - First couple of knives are going out wrapped nicely on monday - cost is about $2 a box. Stamp will last for ever, so not counting that!

CWdp5Su.jpg 

oooh, also spent a few quid on cactus juice and a vacuum set up! - this is a plank of wood I got from a market stall for about $5, all chopped up ready to go in this pic. The blocks came out rock hard and perfect after stabalising! got 10 usable blocks from the plank- might be doing posh handles in the future ^_^

bNjAHXx.jpg

• Like 2

Good on you, John!  

Nice stuff John! I send my knives in soft zippered pouches but your small boxes look way better. This is something I might consider doing too