Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Awesome knife Joël! Cool wood John!

Got my "planer" all set up. Works pretty good for a $40 bit and $10 worth of hardware to make the table. Anything over 3" wide has to have multiple passes. About an 8" board is all I would try with it. I actually used it as a jointer too (which is why it's set so high). 

20191109_170441.jpg

20191106_181008.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper

Today, I set a personal record. I have made 10 knives this year. The most I have ever completed in a calendar year.

• Like 3

Have started to shape up the handles of the  first 7 of the 22 knife pre christmas order with the handles on and in the clamps of the next 11. Should get them all done this week with the leatherwork and shipping next week then the remaining 4 over the following week. 

IMG_20191111_115026.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown

Sweet mother of clamps! 

Looking good, Garry. 

• Like 1

Quite the full table there Garry.

Yes. It seemed as if any time I decided that this was all I would do at one time, another one would come in and I pepped it until I had to call it and do the H T. Any thing else will be for next years shipping from mid Jan on after my self imposed Dec 7 cut off date. 

Have the shaped off the belt grinder so it is all down to hand finishing now.

IMG_20191113_103619.jpg

You know that moment when you’re cleaning up your shop and you remember that there is steel in the forge? And the when you get to it you find a puddle of molten metal.....?     Good thing it wasn’t a blade. I think I’ll wait to forge anything else until I get my propane forge running. 

• Haha 1

You've been busy Garry, nice work :)

I finally completed a commission of two kitchen knives. The other one was a petty I posted earlier. 

IMG_20191112_213510.jpg

IMG_20191112_213519.jpg

IMG_20191112_213624.jpg

• Like 4

That spalting is wild @Joël Mercier. I have a couple in my present batch with some nice spalted eucalyptus.

Heat treated a single blade after work, no choice or it wouldn't be ready in time to catch a lift overseas. 

Enjoyed several beers and watched UFC 244 while tempering the blade B)

This is the 2nd blade from the original front leaf springs of my Suzuki Gypsy, whatever steel the Indians used is good stuff! 

Have all bar one of the knives with the handles finish shaped and in the rack with the first coat of finish oil applied, except for the small chef and the micarta mini skinner which dont get an oil finish and the one that needed more attention

IMG_20191114_170815.jpg

This Safari Knife unfortunately had to have the handles replaced as shaping had revealed pith at the front of the giraffe bone so a bit of heat works it way through the handle to the epoxy so the pins can be drifted out and the scales carefully removed.

IMG_20191114_155114.jpgIMG_20191114_155133.jpgIMG_20191114_155217.jpgWith the epoxy allcleaned off the steel and the mating face of the buff horn bolsters I cut and fit another pair of scales and have them in the clamps for the night.

IMG_20191114_164125.jpg

• Like 1

Got 3 knives out last week in the new packaging and i'm pretty happy with the look. 

Ive now got 10 blades of various styles, forged and heat treated, ready for grinding and handling. Would love to get them done in the next couple of weeks. Seems to be a good time of year to sell knives :D - a couple of this next batch have sold 'off plan' from putting the pics of the forgings on Instagram! 

fv8XVe5.jpg

rr2sJ80.jpg

8IYUCLf.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I have to admit I didn't "do" anything in the shop today.  I had a SECOND retina surgery in 8 months this past Wednesday.  My days are spent with my face paralleled to the ground because it was a "gas bubble" surgery.  Anyway, my "do" in the shop has been watching Youtube on my PC's monitor, which is on the floor in front of my office chair!!!!!:lol:  I just stumbled onto this guy on Youtube who does the most fantastic Damascus I think I've ever seen.  I went to his website and have been totally enthralled with what he does.  He's a Ukrainian blacksmith........which I thought was somewhat humorous with Ukraine being so much in the news recently.  Here's a link to his website, enjoy.

https://sites.google.com/site/damaskshevchenko/

Edited by Chris Christenberry

Forged this last night. ~6” chef knife, it was probably the best forging I have done yet. Just moving the material to the right spot and having it straight in the end. Really surprised me when I went to grinding how nice it was to not have to remove a lot.

5A7466DC-2427-4441-805C-4831166BC288.jpeg

1 minute ago, Mike Ward said:

Forged this last night. ~6” chef knife, it was probably the best forging I have done yet. Just moving the material to the right spot and having it straight in the end. Really surprised me when I went to grinding how nice it was to not have to remove a lot.

5A7466DC-2427-4441-805C-4831166BC288.jpeg

looks great! the old adage about 5 mins forging saves an hour grinding is true!

I am melting some steel today..it has been a while since my crucibles did not fail.......having togo back to doing what I did long ago. Will post a picture only if experiencing great success.

• Like 1

I finally got my hands on some green wood, I’m going to try out carving, this particular piece is for a Kuksa, I learned about them and have been absolutely obsessed with the idea of making one ever since.  The wood is cherry, this piece was quite big until I sawed it in half. I’m trying to stay away from power tools on this one, I only cut it and flattened a surface with power. Everything else from here will be with a saw, carving knife and a hook knife. The guy I bought it from through in some curly pear to justify the shipping cost, it looked like it will have some beautiful grain. And oh my goodness the cherry smells so much better than metal :lol:

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

And oh my goodness the cherry smells so much better than metal 

:lol::D:lol::lol:

Got my 'metal' dust collection system finished (not finished, but working) today! - Its needs a bit of tweaking but happy so far.

Its a collector from a Jones and Shipman surface grinder, pulling through a cyclone. The J&S collector is .55 kw, 3" hose. Ive done the rest in 4" so I can put a 'full fat' blower on it as an upgrade. Its a compromise at the moment! I think 2hp will be perfect for it.

Ive got a 2 x 48, and a 50mm x 2 mtr grinder hooked up to this. The main grinder I run both forwards, (and more often in reverse), so Its got 2 x collection points on it. I found some full seal inline dampers, which im using effectively as blast gates. Not sure how they will hold up long term.

https://i.imgur.com/T7BrTvi.mp4 (not sure if the link to video will work ?!)

NYyxsEe.jpg

4YUj3Fj.jpg

5G4Egea.jpg

aYFDX2s.jpg

Edited by John N
  • Like 1

Looks like a really good setup.  I'm sure you've thought of this, but make sure you don't use that dust collector for wood dust.  My employees took our wood dust collector and temporarily hooked it up to a metal grinder to save having to sweep up all that metal "dust" after a job we did. They didn't think to clean out the wood dust in the barrel, and we had a late night visit from the fire department because of the smoke coming out of our ceiling vents.  Smoldering barrel of wood dust makes a lot of smoke.  And "where's there's smoke..............." .  :lol:

12 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Looks like a really good setup.  I'm sure you've thought of this, but make sure you don't use that dust collector for wood dust.  My employees took our wood dust collector and temporarily hooked it up to a metal grinder to save having to sweep up all that metal "dust" after a job we did. They didn't think to clean out the wood dust in the barrel, and we had a late night visit from the fire department because of the smoke coming out of our ceiling vents.  Smoldering barrel of wood dust makes a lot of smoke.  And "where's there's smoke..............." .  :lol:

Thanks for the warning! - im already pretty paranoid about this having heard of one two many knife shops going up in smoke. The only combustibles going into this are a small amount of fine grit wood dust from handles. (ie, the dust from 120 grit to 400, as I use the flat platen on the  2 x 48 to 'work through the grits' sanding) - Im confident this is not enough fuel for a fire.

On the other side of my shop, I have all the wood tools (saws, router, planer thicknesser, disk sander, buffer etc) - these are on a separate chip / dust extraction system. No sparks allowed on the wood side!  

I kind of figured you'd be up to speed on all of that..............but it never hurts to comment.  Sounds as if you've everything under control.