Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

5 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

I kind of figured you'd be up to speed on all of that..............but it never hurts to comment.  Sounds as if you've everything under control.

its a very valid point worth commenting on! - I think i will put a 'peep glass' on the cyclone collection barrel so I can see if live sparks make it that far. (I suspect not) My plan for this one is to put a couple of horse blower directly on top of the cyclone, then shove the exhaust from that through a big filter bag. It would really make more sense to exhaust the big blower directly outside for fine dust control, but on the few days a year its warmer inside than out, it would be a shame to shove all the warm air outside! - Might rig it with a diverter so I can do it either way.

The nice thing with using the surface grinder dust extraction unit, in the mean time,  is I can be 100% sure its not going to go up in smoke.

Need to have the same on the woodwork dust extraction. Ive got a cyclone unit  to fit to that. In fact, I really need to spend more time making knives than setting up the shop :rolleyes:

I learned today that if I have not made a certain object in six years or so and I had no notes regarding lengths and such, I ought to allow more time to practice until I do remember...

Sheaths all done so it will be an afternoon of emailing customers and get the payments in. Will post picks of individual knives or groups of knives on my various knives thread (show and tell) later in the day. Some very nice wood on some of them while thers are more pedestrian.

kUkWd20l.jpg

That's an impressive spread.  Better be careful or someone will accuse you of making knives professionally. :o:lol:

• Haha 1

20191117_172049.jpg@Alan Longmire here is the belt buckle I was referring too. I'll post a pic when I get the belt done.

Roughly  5 hours in to the Kuksa, I just joined a bushcraft forum to learn more about these amazing drinking vessels, I’m aiming to fit 8 ounces or so minimum in it. It’s a deeper bowl that the pic shows, it’s coming along much faster than I though. It’s actually quite satisfying to carve, watching the little shavings curl and fall off the end of the knife. Time goes by very quickly when I carve. I’ll be starting a spoon this weekend when I go camping.  Sadly I won’t be able to use this kuksa for another 6 months or so, gotta let it dry out as slow as possible so it doesn’t crack.  You can see a bit of the heart wood color in there, it’s quite beautiful in person. 

image.jpg

Edited by Conner Michaux

Working life has badly messed with my time, so I had a busy Saturday, in the shop from just after 7am.

Fitted some Tuffnol bolsters and pommel for a large chopper and the piece of rolled Hessian micarta that fits in between them, glued that up yesterday.

My mentor's kiln got damaged during their move and he asked me to heat treat a blade for him, my first go at Elmax. Had a friend over, heat treated 3 blades for him, and he helped me with the Elmax getting the foil off.

We were both pretty nervous, and right at the moment the blade came free from the foil the wire it'd been suspended from opened up and I dropped the blade.

Fortunately landed on sand I'd put down for spilled oil and had it between the plates very quickly.......no further fumbling. 

One of the 3 other blades was a double edged dagger from an old file, I failed to get a hamon on a similar blade of my own recently, so I decided to quench from 820C rather than 800C and got a nice hamon.

I know it could be steel type, but could a few degrees make the difference?

Finished these Damascus letter openers before I went to work this morning. They were forged from the same bar of 54 layer twist. Materials are 1080 and 15n20; one handle is redheart, the other katalox.

image.pngimage.png

opener2 openers

• Like 1

I got the first coat of Satanite on the inside of my new forge.  I also cast the replaceable floor for it.  I've never used Kastolite before, the texture is not what I was expecting. 

It's just got a rougher texture to it than I thought it would.  Depending on what it's like after it sets up I may just have to adjust some future plans. Not really a big deal.

Kind of what I thought.  I've not mixed and applied mine yet but I've heard it's a lot like dry crunchy p-nut butter and hard to spread.

Fairly good analogy, assuming I mixed it right anyway.

I'd be willing to bet you did.  That's the analogy of most everyone I know who has used it.

Busted this thing open then cut some slices off the outer race and threw in the fire. What came next was totally unexpected. This stuff don't want to move. I gave up until I have more time. Check out the grain in the break.

20191116_081607.jpg

Edited by Randy Griffin

Probably doesn't count but somewhat built a shop a couple weeks ago. I am finally using my new forge for the first time. Kith!

1574216453934408999157.jpg

• Like 1

A day of sharpening and shipping for me. 18 knives away to new homes with another 4 of the present batch to go.

10 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Busted this thing open then cut some slices off the outer race and threw in the fire. What came next was totally unexpected. This stuff don't want to move. I gave up until I have more time. Check out the grain in the break.

Hi Randy

Which part did you throw in the fire?

I have it that more often than not roller bearing are not 52100, while the bearing race might be.

Gerhard,

Was a piece of the race. I'm going to try a roller later. According to the manufacturer, this bearing is 52100. And the things I've read about it being hard to forge are true. I'm going to cut a smaller piece this weekend and try again.

Hi Randy

If you have the steel ID'ed from the manufacturer, cool, go for it.

I use mostly the races, and from the lot only 2 were clearly something else, very difficult to forge and tended to crack.

Both of these were large bearings but half the width you'd expect from a standard bearing (if that makes any sense...)

On 11/18/2019 at 7:59 AM, Gerhard Gerber said:

My mentor's kiln got damaged during their move and he asked me to heat treat a blade for him, my first go at Elmax. Had a friend over, heat treated 3 blades for him, and he helped me with the Elmax getting the foil off.

We were both pretty nervous, and right at the moment the blade came free from the foil the wire it'd been suspended from opened up and I dropped the blade.

Fortunately landed on sand I'd put down for spilled oil and had it between the plates very quickly.......no further fumbling. 

Got the message today, turns out the blade is 62HRC.....happiness B)

(pre-temper of course)

my 60g ceramic belts did not show up this week, so ive got 24's or 80's, neither of which I particularly enjoy using, so my making time this weekend will be handles! Got a few orders on that have to be done for Christmas, so it might not be a bad thing im having to do the boring bit before the interesting bit on the 12 knives I have on the go!

Had a few mins after work this evening, and chopped up the various bits of timber, so Its all ready to rock tomorrow :)

l2sEubh.jpg

dKez63X.jpg

2qm6x8W.jpg

• Like 1

Finished up my new forge tonight.  It seems to run pretty good.  Hopefully this weekend I'll get to play around a bit and see if I can get it up to welding temps with the little blower that I have on it.

20191122_205318.jpg

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 4

Turned all those bits of wood into handles. New workshop if definitely way more productive than how I used to work. This lot took 6 hours, with a bit of walking between workshops, as the mill and drill is still in the old shop!

nHgPGHB.jpg

UyinHhK.jpg 

• Like 4

Nice pile of timber, John.