Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

4 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Nice pile of timber, John.

Thanks Alan! - just need to turn them into knives, and then into money before Christmas sneaks up on us ! :)

My table saw wouldnt cut all the way through. Burnt the wood with the dull blade. It was kinda cool I thought. Might use the thin wood for some sort of scabbard. 

20191123_105913.jpg

On 11/20/2019 at 6:36 AM, Gerhard Gerber said:

I use mostly the races, and from the lot only 2 were clearly something else, very difficult to forge and tended to crack.

I cut a smaller piece today and got it forged to a decent shape. Normalized 3 times. Got to go out of town tomorrow so will be a few days before I can quench and see if this steel is going to make a decent knife.

20191123_163738.jpg

Gave the new forge a workout today.  In my best Doug Marcaida voice....."Iiiit will weeeld!" :D

Making my wife a b!+[h cutter and myself a bush wacker. Both 5160ish. Drinking Buds and trying to have fun in this bipolar weather. Also weather proofing my deck by spilling half of my oil on it. :P

Forged this axe eye punch from H13 ...tomorrow we shall see how well it works. On this 3 lb 11 ounce billet of forklift tine.

Screenshot_20191124-000906_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20191124-000506_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20191124-000517_Video Player.jpg

Resized_20191123_205542(6).jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Not completely blade related, but after 9 months, I finally have a forge and anvils to use:20191124_133431.jpg

and so here's the result of 2 hours in the forge:20191124_135718.jpg
I decided to take the first few heats to warm up with a 1/2" square taper and scroll (man it feels good to move some hot metal again:D:D:D:D:D), then swapped between the bottle opener and the x-Rhea.  

Looks like I have to do some product testingo_O.:rolleyes:

I went and picked up a nifty little four post press today. I then spent the next two hours trying to get my truck out of the mud in front of my workshop because I backed up to the overhead door to unload it, unaware 1) that it was more muddy than I expected and 2) the four wheel drive in my truck wouldn't engage. :wacko:

I will probably swap out the air/hydraulic cylinder I got with it in favor of a Harbor Freight purely because they're shorter and will actually allow me to fit dies in there. Right now without a ram, the gap distance from plate to plate is 18 3/8". Take out of that 1.5" per die and 5" final daylight, and I've got just over the 10 1/4" needed for the Harbor Freight cylinder.

IMG_20191124_192903.jpg

If I could figure out how to establish the edge bevel without almost regrinding the knife, or knives in this case........that would be great :wacko:

Rough ground one dirk blade, other to probably follow tomorrow. It turned out thin at the tip, but given how I forged it I expected as much. It's not too thin given the taper and length, so I'm not worried about too much flexion. At least they're both already heat treated so warpage won't be a problem.

Edited to add: I don't believe dirks had much of anything in the way of distal taper, but I opted to not concern myself too much with historical accuracy (not my usual mindset) and emphasize feel and utility. They will be presents and the most I'd expect them to be used for is vegetable chopping, which they'd be great for.

MVIMG_20191126_124332.jpg

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191126115625113.jpg

Edited by AJ Chalifoux

Still working on my shop (3 years running), but I finally started migrating some of my equipment into it so I could do some winter forging:

IMG_20191019_202321417.jpg

I've got an order for three matching hunting knives for Christmas, so I started a fourth as a prototype and decided to move all four through the process.

The picture is right before I ground the profile.

IMG_20191023_204038924.jpg

I'm farther along now, but haven't taken any updated pictures. I've got 'em heat treated and ready for finishing.

Promised sheaths along with them, so I have a feeling the next four weeks are going to fly by.

Nobody asked me for my vote, so I didn't, instead finished the sheath for the Jungle Survival Tool.

It turned out so good despite my destructive testing that the pics I posted on FB got me invited to do a radio interview :P

I have a face for radio, and severe fear of public speaking, so I'll pass.

Had a sun-downer with neighbour Mike, he's off to the UK today, and we sincerely hope the Jungle Survival Tool makes it through customs......

Left six are a set of random Damascus blades for a wedding gift. Right four are 1084/80crv2 kitchen knives I’m hoping to sell somehow. The chefs are all 7-7.5”.

D4A733BB-ECDA-4F6B-A62D-641C59BEB964.jpeg

I got to play around with the bearing steel again today. I got my daughter's carving knife shaped and ready to HT.

20191201_162554.jpg

Before I do that I wanted to use some of what I've read to see if I could harden this somewhat unknown steel. 52100?

I cut a small slice of race and pounded out a crude blade shape. Normalized from nonmagnetic twice. Heated to yellow heat and cooled with my air hose and blow gun. Normalized a third time then got it to nonmagnetic and tried to hold it as close to that as possible for 10 minutes. I know I can't keep the temp steady as needed but I must have done good enough. After quench the file would not bite. Toaster oven at 400 for an hour twice and it was a dark straw, almost bronze. I used a belt sander to grind some rough bevels and get the edge close. This thing is still pretty hard. Took forever to get sharp. I was getting worried that it wouldn't sharpen. Then all of a sudden it started shaving hair. I think it is at the point now that it might be the sharpest knife I own. I must have done something right. B) 

20191201_162627.jpg

I can imagine what this could make if I had the proper equipment.

Add a heat wave to the worst drought in recorded history, consider the year is on it's back......I've done close to nothing since Wednesday.

My mentor dropped by early Sunday morning to heat treat three Elmax blades, went considerably smoother and learned a lot, almost bought some M390 last week, definitely need to get into these super steels.

I tempered a knife on my kitchen's oven and I forgot the blade inside and my wife used the oven for cooking the Thanksgiving (damn) turkey, anyway I was looking for the blade and my wife told me she found it inside  (never told me she found it after she cooked the bird) and I made a nice handle so I could give the knife to my son for his hunting trip.... he said sucks after a few cuts :))) Going to throw the knife inside the oven to burn the handle and start all over again.

Edited by slanwar

10 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Add a heat wave to the worst drought in recorded history,

Ugghhh....I feel your discomfort.  I hate heat waves. 

Which I guess is why I have resisted moving back to the Midwest for the past 10 years.  I'd have to stop forging for 5-6 months every summer.  Not sure how you do it in Nambia.  A tougher man than me, for sure.

Used the last piece of the double helix bar I made a couple of months ago.  I'll have to do this pattern again. (If I can :rolleyes:)

IMG_20191201_162331524.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slanwar said:

I tempered a knife on my kitchen's oven and I forgot the blade inside and my wife used the oven for cooking the Thanksgiving (damn) turkey, anyway I was looking for the blade and my wife told me she found it inside  (never told me she found it after she cooked the bird) and I made a nice handle so I could give the knife to my son for his hunting trip.... he said sucks after a few cuts :))) Going to throw the knife inside the oven to burn the handle and start all over again.

The temperature for baking a turkey should have very little to no effect on a knife's temper.  What type of steel?  How did you harden it?  How thin is the edge?

16 hours ago, GEzell said:

The temperature for baking a turkey should have very little to no effect on a knife's temper.  What type of steel?  How did you harden it?  How thin is the edge?

Was a thin blade to dressing deer and is a 1095 steel using the usual ritual after quenching I left 2 hours in the oven at 400F, I'm going to heat treat a left over piece and test to make sure I wasn't ripped off. I know some people temper for 2 or even 3 cycles and that shouldn't do anything to the blade.... I think.

1095 is very picky, you have less than one second to drop the temperature from 1475 to below 1000 in the quench.  If you miss that by even a tiny bit it's not going to fully harden.  And 400 is a bit warm for my taste.  350, or 375 maximum.  And yeah, the number of times you temper it doesn't soften it any more than the first time, it just converts any retained austenite. Two or three cycles is good.

Got stuck into re-building this Massey 2 cwt hammer, that I have swapped for a decent looking rolling mill! 

Dont really need a 7.5 ton rolling mill to be honest, but they are like hens teeth, and im looking to the future a bit :)

6DuWF4m.jpg

z3hQeDK.jpg

Sounds like a good trade!  Not that I couldn't use a 224-lb hammer more than a rolling mill at the moment, but as you say, they are as rare as they come for small shops, and worth more to those who want them. B)

On 12/2/2019 at 3:41 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

I'll have to do this pattern again. (If I can :rolleyes:)

You absolutely should! That pattern is awesome. I would like to see it on a wider canvas like a kitchen knife.