What did you do in your shop today?

Joshua States

I'd just like to get to the place I could actually end up with a "forgotten" blade! :lol:

I like both of those blades, John.

Chris

www.chrischristenberry.com

WHEW!!!  If I could only know now what I "thought" I knew back then....................

Oops!  Double post.

Edited by Chris Christenberry

Chris

WHEW!!!  If I could only know now what I "thought" I knew back then....................

I too found a forgotten blade the other day! Pattern welded as well. I was working on it, got distracted with another project, went to go back to it, and it was gone! Turns out it fell under my tool box, where I never look. 

This is what it looked like before I lost it. It's much rustier now :lol: 

20191208_201249.jpg

• Like 1

I like that pattern.  It's a free form rather than a rigid repetition.  Did you do a twist or cut and stack or anything like that?

Chris

I actually tried a variation of ladder pattern, but instead of vertical lines, I cut X's across the billet, as well as some raindrops. Most of it got washed out, but you can see some remnants. 

Other than that it's just a 80 or 90 layer random. 

Edited by Will Wilcox

I'm just beginning to "grasp" this Damascus process.  It's funny you mention this because I was thinking the other day that it would be interesting to cut X's in a billet and drill shallow holes at all 4 points in-between the cross.  Is that what you did?  At what point in the "80 or 90 layer pattern" did you do that cutting and drilling?

Chris

54 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

cut X's in a billet and drill shallow holes at all 4 points in-between the cross.

That's basically what I did. But also put a few smaller raindrops outside the X's. 

Often you build up your layer count before doing any patterning. So start with X amount of layers, weld, cut, fold, and repeat until desired layer count, and then pattern the bar and finish forge. Thats how simple patterns like ladder, raindrop, etc. are usually accomplished, but that is absolutely not a hard and fast rule for all patterns and processes. You can twist a bar at 8 layers, forge it flat, cut and fold, twist again, repeat, etc. And then ladder it all at the end. Why not? One of the fun things about pattern welding is that your biggest limit is your imagination. 

And then of course, you have mosaics like Gary Mulkey does, which is a whole different ball game which I have no business discussing the intricacies of.

"I did something very similar on this years KITH knife.  I was pretty happy with the way it turned out."

Picture?

Chris

4 minutes ago, Will Wilcox said:

And then of course, you have mosaics like Gary Mulkey does, which is a whole different ball game which I have no business discussing the intricacies of.

Gary is in another league.  I'm going to be working at "T-ball" levels.  :D

Question................for any of you who do Damascus work.  When you are cutting, like in ladder work, do you cut from both sides?  If so, do you stagger the cuts so you aren't risking cutting the billet in two?

Chris

7 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

I'm glad to hear that Connor.  Any issues at all with it?

No complaints here, it’s held an edge well and it’s very comfortable to hold. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SteveShimanek said:

put away all the tools

But how will you find them if they're not randomly strewn all over your bench?! :P:lol:

Sometimes I think maybe I should clean off my workbench. Doesnt happen though.

I dont even remember what the top looks like. :D

14 minutes ago, Will Wilcox said:

But how will you find them if they're not randomly strewn all over your bench?! :P:lol:

Sometimes I think maybe I should clean off my workbench. Doesnt happen though.

I dont even remember what the top looks like. :D

Your shop sounds like mine.  I have a rudimentary piling (as opposed to filing) system.  I know where things are, but it looks like chaos to the uninitiated. :lol:

I think it's a good anti theft system. Nobody expect me knows where the good tools are hidden :lol:. Sounds like your shop is similar!

Baby Sujihiki, probably started life as a little gyuto I started with the wrong stock size for :rolleyes: 

Blade is aogami super blue, with stainless cladding, handle is rosewood and bog oak. Im hoping my productive making streak over the last month will die out soon, ive got lots of jobs to do around the house in my spare time!

psiu8gR.jpg

WCXq1M1.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 8:19 PM, Chris Christenberry said:

Question................for any of you who do Damascus work.  When you are cutting, like in ladder work, do you cut from both sides?  If so, do you stagger the cuts so you aren't risking cutting the billet in two?

There's a pinned topic in Beginner's Place called "A Brief Lecture on Pattern Welding and Pattern Development"

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith