Giant Sword, Arctic Fire Colaboration— Bush/Powning

• 2 weeks later...

So it came to pass that , once upon a time a long long time ago a giant sword was made, and in the making of it giant machines were fired up and smoke did belch from the furnaces and the Dwarvs started to get exited .....for it is well known that the swords of the giants were often forged by smaller folk.

Here is the material for the twists that will make up one side of the blade core....15kg or so. with no giants to hand a 225lb power hammer was used giving a mere mortal the strength of 20 men...

Nice to see something from my country .....live near the town of Lejre - her is a link to the museum which i situated outside Lejre called "Sagnlandet" ......or Land of Legends...in English

www.sagnlandet.dk .......

Good luck with the sword .....

Lars

Edited by larsjacobsen

and soo it came to pass that the core bars were welded up , 3 twisted bars for one side and 2 twisted for the other (to be nestled between waves of steel and iron). Each side to have a pattern differing from the other, one side bold the other more subtle.

before being twisted the bars are rounded off the beast of a hammer tamed to gently work the steel a'round.

I am lucky to know such a beast , as fierce as a bull and as gentle as a new bourne lamb if you pull the rite lever....

tippy tappy makes me happy!

Having rounded up the core bars , they were then twisted. I have a few twisting machines , one electric , a big manual one made from an old manual pipe threader and a hydraulic one . the core bars were twisted on my hydraulic twisting machine. I tend to just twist most of the smaller bars I make by hand as I find it quicker but for this beastie 3omm is beyond my comfort zone and hydraulics are so controleable.

the bards for one side were twisted tight , a little more lazy for the other....

after the twisting a little straightening is needed, with somke help from Thor...

28130814373_72c4d49dde_z.jpg

I have had the cutlers anvil a couple of years now, and have come across some other interesting gated anvils too.

so I set about making the other core bars, one side would have wodens river twists (ofset layer twists giving a looping undulating pattern ) set between waved bars made up of 200 layer piled steel, that had been smooshed into wrought iron bars... making one side a 6 bar construction, the other is a simple old 5 bar core 3 twisted bars and a couple of pinstriped ones....

28736272066_72546f1df0_z.jpg

with all of the core bars made up it was time to make the edge, random pattern and 500 layers, I had to combine two bars to make it long enough to wrap around the core. lap welded damascus.

a little tack weld to hold it together under the hammer.

28799548735_bb9f1c4ed3_z.jpg

with all of the core bars and the edge bare made up its tiome for a little weigh. 9 core bars (two of them already being double bars of wrought and layered steel combined in a toothed bar) and the edge it came to 97.5lb. I think I started with around 120lb of steel.

28768130506_de94dc2cf9_z.jpg

It was at about this point that the realisation that things were going to get very heavy started to become reality...

so with the help of Tom (from the previous photo), we set about building a full workshop scaffold so that I could suspend a crane to hold the work between the hammer and forge and anvil etc.

I have been meaning to do this for a long while and think it will come handy in the future as I plan more big work. Its not purfect but does the job!

28570907490_bcd1c60ca4_z.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

It was made. It was for Arctic Fire 2016. 

Here are some shots from Jake's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Jake.Powning/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10157087684075161

There's a thread somewhere on the forum with the AF 2016 videos in which both Owen and Jake present how they built the giant. 

(Bonus points to anyone who can identify the arm in the upper photo).

No photo description available.

Image may contain: 1 person

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

It was made. It was for Arctic Fire 2016. 

Here are some shots from Jake's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Jake.Powning/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10157087684075161

There's a thread somewhere on the forum with the AF 2016 videos in which both Owen and Jake present how they built the giant. 

(Bonus points to anyone who can identify the arm in the upper photo).

Oh Wow, thanks, I just thought the project was stopped for some reason. That is incredible!

I saw it at Owen’s hammer-in a couple of years ago. It’s even more impressive in the flesh.