Sign in to follow this  
JeffFogleboch

Critique my tanto

Hey guys their tanto is nearly finished...the only thing I need to food run put the lacquer. If you guys could give me any pointers on how to make it better I would appreciate it! Steel is W2 the motohaba is a hair over an 1"the nagasa is about 8.5", saya is curly walnut with glooss lacquer and the mekugi is antler

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks very good. Personally, I'd like to see a bit more profile taper, which would also give a bit more distal taper, but that's just me. Everything else looks good, but some closeups of the habaki and boshi would be helpful for any further critique...

Here we go....the Bisho was super hard to photograph and the muneyaki made it even harder Edited by JeffFogleboch

Looks great, though like Jake mentioned it maybe could have used a bit more taper. Hard to tell from the picture though.

For the pictures, I would recommend making a light tent, that or else take pictures outside on an overcast day. Another thing I've found helps when taking pictures of hamons, is to have something dark above the blade when taking the picture so that the blade is reflecting something black instead of something light. Hopefully that makes sense.