Hello...and Damascus!

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I first got a taste of smithing on my grandfather's farm more than 30 years ago. I recently took some classes at Pratt Fine Art institue here in Seattle, and have been seriously bitten by the bug. I've started setting up a forge in my garage, and look forward to a big project this summer which will be building a press. I got the Batson book and will be making one similar to the "C" press described in the book.

Most recently I took a damascus steel class and forged a couple of billets. I've started grinding out a blade from the first billet, and here's what it looks like:

Very first damascus blade

I haven't etched it, but the pattern is visible. I'm quite happy with it. Unfortunately this is what the other side looks like:

Flaw in the blade

The blade had a slight warp in it, so I heated it up to flatten it, and that hole appeared. I think it may have been some flux that got included, and on the reheat it sort of exploded. The white line is where I plan to cut the blade to salvage it and turn it into a broken-back seax.

I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my KMG grinder on Friday.

-Jeff

It's difficult to see the photos, could you resize to a larger pixel dimension and repost?

Welcome aboard and happy forging!

Edited by Joshua States

It's difficult to see the photos, could you resize to a larger pixel dimension and repost?

Welcome aboard and happy forging!

I'm not quite sure how to make them bigger in the post. If you click on the image, it opens a larger high-res version.

I recommend grinding further into that portion just to make sure you can't salvage the blade as is. Otherwise looks good!

You can't see it in the picture, but the hole goes almost completely through the blade. :(

That is a bummer. Maybe you can save your original outline if you use that hole as the starting point for some sort of decorative work. If it isn't heat treated yet, you may be able to cut some sort of decorative skeletonized feature into it . Or, maybe drill a series of holes in the blade and insert brass pugs into them after the heat treating.

That is a bummer. Maybe you can save your original outline if you use that hole as the starting point for some sort of decorative work. If it isn't heat treated yet, you may be able to cut some sort of decorative skeletonized feature into it . Or, maybe drill a series of holes in the blade and insert brass pugs into them after the heat treating.

I was just about to suggest the same thing. Anneal that blade so the steel is nice and soft and drill the hole completely through. Draw the cut out design with a black sharpie pen, grab a set of sharp needle files and get to work. You might even want to develop this as your maker's mark. There are several makers who do this on some of their blades.

• Like 1