anouther Forum member wins FIF

Thanks Matthew! FiF winners on Bladesmith's Forum is a humbling group to be a part of. I'm stoked.

• Like 1

You dominated! Your sword was amazing. And that "What the heck?" look on your face when you were told that the sword had delaminated was hilarious. I never saw any weld flaw in the close up. Also, for the record, the rope should have cut perfectly, if the edge was properly aligned!

How is that show? I've had a couple people who know what I do tell me to watch it, but I'm somewhat skeptical of any sort of reality show. And as I don't have cable, I haven't bothered to check it out yet.

That was AWESOME !!!!!!

At that length, I was very worried about that bone chop !!!!!

Super job !!! Congrats !

Mark

Awesome job man. You should be very proud of that blade. 5 days???? They are gonna be beating down your doors after that performance. Good luck keeping up with all the work that's about to come your way. You deserve it.

Way to go Salem. People often ask me if I know about FIF or have seen it, and I 'm always glad that although I've never seen it, I can say that I talk with some of the guys who have been on and won on this forum.

For those of us who do not have access to the TV show.......can we see some photos?

I liked the cable weld challenge. Except for the one poor guy who was clueless when it came to working with the cable (not that I'd do any better) it was interesting. My biggest objection was that a khopesh was never an iron weapon or as large as the producers asked for. It was a smaller cast bronze weapon so what they asked for could not be looked on as historically accurate. Anyway, Salem, good job on a demanding challenge.

Doug

Episode 2 is online now....................... http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire/season-2/episode-2

Just finished watching this and I think it was great. Frankly, I think that was as "real" as it gets.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Doug, you're right... I thought it was funny, them having me make a 28-32" blade length steel khopesh, and telling me it would partly be judged on "historical accuracy!" Right, a short, usually one-handed bronze weapon. Well, I tried to think it out the best I could and at least make the style imitate the real ones. The hilt was flanged like a casting, and it had a small integral guard and blade collar quite like the Ramses khopesh.

I had the TV on and heard your name announced and was like wait what?!?! And then I was glued to the TV. I must have missed the other forum member on but was keenly interested in seeing how someone of obvious skill would fare. With so many competitors doing so poorly, I began to wonder if the time constraints of the show were a factor. But for the record, I announced you would win to the family at the beginning of the show :) Congrats!!!!

BTW Salem, I was amazed at just how much you look like Frank Zappa.........are you a fan?

Congrats brother! Great piece and for the record if you watch the cut on the rope that guy blew the cut on both blades. He didn't line his blade right.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!

Now, since I don't have cable or satellite, if I could just find some place that would stream it!