Sign in to follow this  
Chad Scott

Puukko!

So I was procrastinating on my KITH project, and I made a puukko. I love these knives, and I would like to make more. So if you guys could have a look, and let me know how I can improve on the next puukko I make that would be awesome!

Blade material was a bandsaw blade from work that I cut up and welded together, wrought, copper, and some ash. Unfortunately I didn't have a block, just a 1/2in thick piece. I used it as it was my only choice, and it was very pretty. Sadly I was unable to join the halves as well as I intended, which left a visible seam. I am pretty bummed about that. All work was done by hand so I am pretty happy overall.

And now, back to my KITH!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very nice! Not your average puukko-design...and I mean in a good way. I like the straight grind line. Great overall shape and proportions also. For me this gives the impression that it is, perhaps, a soldiers knife. The "S" on the blade only works to strengthen that feeling, because it reminds me of the insignia of "Suojeluskunta", or "White Guard".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Guard_(Finland)

One thing I would change in the future, though; -> no <- secondary bevels for puukkos :) . Flat or hollow grind, with a polished edge or a very small (barely visible) micro bevel. That means you would have to move your makers mark above the grind line, or part of it will be lost when the blade is re-sharpened.

Edited by J.S.Voutilainen