Buck Hedges

Karambit Idea...and a good laugh.

A fellow student in my dojo asked if I would make him a wooden karambit to train with. He traced his knife out, and I made a training version based on that:

Hills%20Karambit_zpsseno7m2h.jpg

It's hard to make plywood look decent, and the maple scales didn't take the stain like I'd hoped, but after playing with it, I really liked the way it felt. I used plywood primarily because at some point the ring in the end would be parallel to the grain and would snap off. And please keep in mind, the actual knife is pointier, but I rounded the edges off because it is a training too. Just based on this, I'd like a little more hook in the blade, and some jimping where your thumb presses on the spine (at least, I was told the fancy little file marks on the spine of a blade are called jimping, and it's easier to say than "fancy little file marks.")

I got some smaller pieces of steel (broken farrier's rasps) for Christmas and I decided to make myself a karambit. Before I totally committed myself to this design, though, I thought I'd do a google search and see what else was out there.

I found this...

karambit_with_cocobolo_by_licataknives-d

My first thought was "Good gravy, Gil Hibben built a karambit!"

My next thought was, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'm sorry any and all Hibben enthusiasts may be offended. Okay, really, I'm not. I feel a person ought to be able to just reach out and pick up their blade without having to worry about it stabbing them to death.

I don't know who made this, or what they were on (burning a little too much galvanized in the forge, perhaps), but...

WTF?

I think I'll stick with a simpler, more user-friendly design.

Damn that's ugly. Looks like a cat's wet dream.

That's by Steven Licata. He also makes armor and guitars using the same techniques and materials (!) for the heavy heavy metal set. He got semi-famous a few years back when a reporter publicly accused him of running an "arms factory" because his house and shop are near a school zone. Not to my taste either, but he's a good guy for fantasy stuff. He used to be active over on the Knife Network forums, but I haven't been on there for a few years.

Guitars and armor...I guess you could say he's into heavy metal. :D For some reason it reminds me of Sir Chistopher Lee's Heavy Metal Christmas Album. (Really good listening, BTW). I agree, it's not really my style.

As for the "arms factory" near a school zone...

My best friend and I were both into martial arts in junior high and high school. And since it was the 80s, ninjas were THE thing. We snuck more throwing stars, nunchakus, knives, tonfas, and you name it through school. No one ever knew. People would have a conniption now!

"Not my style" would be generous. So would useless.

Doug

• Like 1

"Not my style" would be generous. So would useless.

Doug

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic. It's a stretch for me. And the older I get, the less inclined I am choose diplomacy in favor of expediency. :) But yeah, expletive expletive expletiving expletive useless would be an apt description.

It's one reason I've never been a fan of Hibben's blades.

It reminds me of these

Impressive stonework! Some of those I'd be hard-pressed to tell what they were.

Edited by Buck Hedges

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic. It's a stretch for me. And the older I get, the less inclined I am choose diplomacy in favor of expediency. :) But yeah, expletive expletive expletiving expletive useless would be an apt description.

It's one reason I've never been a fan of Hibben's blades.

There is one thing I have to say in favor of Gil Hibben knives. It's the same thing I have to say in favor of Kit Rae.

You know who they are and you know one of their blades when you see it!

Like it or not, there's a market for it. So, I guess it's not entirely useless..........

I have to agree with you on that. They're distinct.

Kind of reminds me of a car I had: a Geo Storm. Someone had given it a paint job with blue and silver flames.

EVERYONE knew where I went in that car. I got pulled over by every cop around twice in 2 days, once, in the exact same spot, for having a headlight out.

I hated that car.

The one I have now is white. Plain, generic, invisible, white.